Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

Blown Headgasket

As a result of my car overheating :evil: (my fault) :evil: and pissing out all its coolant, the headgasket has blown! The garage that ive been too for years have quoted about £300/350 all in, this includes a couple of other minor bits im having doing aswell. Sound about right to anyone??

Cheers

Sounds like a pretty fair price mate.

Think getting the head gasket done on the 16v is significantly cheaper than it is in the VR6.

sounds good, but make sure they also change the cam belt and cam belt tensioner while it's all apart... Should only cost you a couple more quid (£30 tops!) and will give you the peace of mind that all is well with that for the next 50K or so... 8)

it must be pretty labour intensive, the head gasket is only about £40 from GSF :x

Got a G60 head gasket from the dealers for £28! :shock:

it must be pretty labour intensive, the head gasket is only about £40 from GSF :x

Got a G60 head gasket from the dealers for £28! :shock:

£40 is probably for a headset.

I got a G60 headgasket from GSF and paid 19 plus VAT. A pukka metal one, to replace the ordinary one some cheapskate German fitted, before I bought the car. I do have to say I think the compression ratio was reduced as it didn't feel so nippy afterwards, even with the head being skimmed.

Gavin

If you've had a head gasket go, then for the extra few quid, get a new belt on while it's in bits... :| IMHO, it's one of those cheap parts that's not worth risking things on... :wink: