carrots

what the f--k

ive spent a fortune on my car,rad,waterpump,hoses,oil cooler, recon head etc etc.been on road just over week and ive had to top water up a few times.what the hell is wrong with this load of junk

any water in the oil (mayo) or steam in the exhaust (white smoke)?

any smell of coolant inside the car or crystallised coolant around the metal water pipe or hose/flange joins?

did you accurately measure how much coolant went into the car after the rad and head change? - it could just be air-locks working their way out.

or how about the expansion tank cap? any sign of coolant draining out from under the tank?

Edited by davidwort

oil is like new,no steam.heater matrix went other day after 2 days back on road,so ive bypassed that and topped water up twice.lights on again tho after 12 mile.looks ok on flange joints etc.sick of it big time now,caliper even stuck on other day so got to fix that in morn.cant see any leaks

Edited by carrots

it's an old car mate, get you down sometimes but when they are right they make up for it, chances are you've got a minor problem, nothing more, just got to track it down., you could have a a much newer car and get much more expensive and infuriating problems, believe me.

yer your right about newer cars just thought i could have a week or so without haveing to spend.ive not had a hole week of driving without a fault since ive had it.i will have a good look for leaks in morn.most of it is new now lol

it could just be generally letting out air pockets, although it shouldnt take THAT long. Did you seal everything properly in the coolant circuit (flange faces etc)?

Another great thread title...

It's a 21 year old car at the end of the day... when you but a 10 year old car there is always a good chance you will end up spending more in your first year that it would have cost to buy one 2 years younger... it's just the way it is. Every thread you start seems to just be moaning - How much did you pay for it in the first place?

Cooling system is a weak point mate yes, just get stuck in and fix it. Or buy a new car and wait for something really expensive to break or monitor the depreciation, its just as depressing.

Could well be the sensor in the expansion tank. Happened to mine when I replaced the matrix. Dunno what must've happened, but swapped the tank and all good again. Cheap and easy to replace.

Good point, people forget about the depreciation, what big Citroens and Alfas lose in their first three years is terrifying. Will think of this next time i have a problem, and while it can be depressing and carrots is having a bad run i still think these cars are worth it....OK, just looked this up, new Citroen C6 3.0 £38k, auto trader have a 2009 one for (wait for it........) £19k. My new €325 radiator doesnt seem so bad now.........

your right i do seem to moan a lot but never seem to have anything good to say about it,it most prob is something simple.this car is not going to beat me.1 good thing i can say about it is it always starts

And whilst the Corrado is expensive for some things, we still have the luxury that the 16V engine is quite basic and parts are pretty common across the (old) VAG range so nice and cheap.

Even things like brake discs, because they're so much smaller than on modern cars, are cheap. You get something sporty, new and modern.. and you run into some problems.. believe you me, the bills will be substantially worse.

recently just brought a corrado vr6 at a nice price, but nice prices generaly means "needs tlc" which = £ , but im prepared to do it because the end result means i have a farken sweet ride with new shiney spangly service parts,ive already done plugs,leads,rear discs and bearings,rocker gasket,rotor arm,oil and filter change and sorted out oil leaks from the oil cooler and knock sensor and fixed the bonnet release cable,needs a few more bits n bobs doing, but otherwise allways bear in mind they are old cars which in most cases will need something doing at somepoint,

lol love it must be a carrot in the pram lol.had a beter day with it today took expansion tank off and cleaned it out with gunk,low water lights off again.think its oil coating the sensor inside.just hope the oil is from when oil cooler packed up