G60_Craig

Scottish lad with a TDI 'rado

Hey everyone,

Been a follower of this forum for a while now and I thought I should finally write my first post. Well i'm only 19 and i'm from the north east of Scotland. I own three Corrado's, a G60, VR6 and my pride and joy TDI. Found lots of interesting stuff on this forum thats helped me along with fixing all of them.

My TDI Corrado that i'm currently using everyday at the moment originated from a 1.8 16V that i bought November time last year. After about a month and a bit, I decided to drop a TDI in it. I had been dreaming of this idea for months and when i had the opportunity to buy a Golf Mk3 TDI 1Z, with slight near side front damage, for only £40 my dream could now be fulfilled. I spent 4 months removing the old 16V and cleaned up the engine bay, shot blasted and re-sprayed most of the suspension parts, fitted the TDI engine and sorted out all the ancillaries. The result...well after a lot of hard work and late nights...a fully functioning Corrado TDI. Been running it for just under 2 weeks now, done about 1000 miles already and don't have any problems. Everything works including the electric windows, sunroof (including the slide back!) mirrors, spoiler and even managed to keep the MFA so I can still keep an eye on the oil temperature and the outside temperature. Car is returning on average 50-60mpg (when driven sensibly). I've posted some pictures of the car as they can tell a thousand words.

Cheers for looking,

Craig

Welcome aboard! Very impressive work! :)

There's a few Corrado TDI's on here now.. at least 3 others. Worth having a search around.. you guys are in a pretty unique / minority group :)

Very nice, I'm bang in the middle of exactly the same conversion as we speak. Really enjoying doing it and I'm looking forward to seeing what it'll be like to drive :) Yours looks great though, well done :)

very tidy would love to have the time to do that i think its on the list of projects to do before I die! welcome also and fair nice collection already

Thanks guys,

Jim

Yeah i've seen one or two pop up on here. Can't be very many in Scotland, if any.

Purple Tom

I've been reading your thread on your conversion. Looking good so far. I was on a budget with this conversion and hardly spent any money doing it. Just a lot of man hours. Easy part is getting the engine and gearbox connected to the car. Wiring and and all the other little bits to make the car work isn't as easy. Keep up the good work.

Lilfuzzer

Thanks, its pretty much taken up my life these past months

Coullstar

Been looking for yours also. Hardly see any Corrado's about here. Can sometimes go months without seeing one. Have to meet up some time.

jamiehamy

Its good to see that at the end of the day i've actually managed to make something work out of parts from different cars. Car is so smooth when driving on the motorway and get that lovely whooshing noise through the induction kit when shes pulling. Tuning box is currently on its way from Germany at the moment so can't wait to see what that will do to the performance / fuel consumption :)

Cheers

Craig

hi there. 3 rados, sounds nice, I've got only 2, had to buy another one :) Will give you a shout when will be going to stoneheaven, maybe will see you there

hi there. 3 rados, sounds nice, I've got only 2, had to buy another one :) Will give you a shout when will be going to stoneheaven, maybe will see you there

Hi emu, yeah 3's a crowd. Pitty I couldn't drive them all at the same time :( can't wait til I get my G60 finished so I can get a picture of all three of them together. Haven't seen any of your cars driving about either. Yeah definitely, would be good to speak to a fellow 'rado owner :D

Thanks Wullie, I've received a very warm welcome here.

Awesome, looks a really tidy conversion!

Cheers Supercharged, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my cars, like everything to be done right and not botched. The engine bay looks almost like the engine came standard in the car, apart from the colour coded engine cover and induction kit. Its a real head turner around where I live, especially with the sound of the diesel :p

Hi Craig, where is that church in the 2nd photo mate? Thats a great collection of Corrados you have there, quite fancy a TDi to keep the miles low on my VR6. Regards to the pub down on the waterfront (The Ship??) and welcome to the best forum going!

Hi mate, the photo was taken last Sunday outside the Blairdaff ruins near Inverurie. Was out for a drive and drove past it by pure accident and thought that it would make a nice background for a picture of the car :p

Yeah your right its the Ship is down at the harbour :thumb right: Great pub.

Definitly the best forum going.

The Ship on a summer's evening is just the best. Am a tour guide and we used to take the Yanks to Dunottar then to Stonehaven, they loved it. That 50-60mpg on a Corrado is amazing i am going to try and get one this summer when i come back (and leave the VR6 wrapped up here boo hoo:sad:. Have you seen the TDis on the database (http://www.corrado-database.nl/index.php) they are getting very popular over here, i saw one at Essen a couple of weeks ago, it sounded a bit strange at first but i bet it goes well....happy driving up there and mind the gatsos (none over here - yet!)

Ahh i see, was wondering how you knew the area :D I am going to get a picture of my car with Dunnotar castle in the background. The fuel consumption is so good. I used to drive a Polo 6N2 1.4 (first car) and it didn't get anything near what i get with the TDI. Sounds like a good idea just need to find yourself a donor car.

I have had a look now and again on the database. Some real nice cars on there. These Corrado's fairly get a huge following by enthusiasts all over the world. It does sound like a weird idea, but in my opinion, if I want a car that is fast I'll jump into my G60 :D The TDI is just for running everyday to work so it doesn't cost me so much money on fuel which is a big issue these days.

Haha lucky for some, might have to move over there in future!

Cheers mate, I'll probably be joining that soon.

Just thought I would bore you all with the little mods that this car has got.

Goodridge stainless steel brake hoses all round

Induction kit

G60 standard intercooler

Custom made intercooler pipe

Kenwood 12" 900W sub enclosure in boot

TDI chip tuning box - arriving in the next few days

Oversize radiator from a golf mk2 turbo diesel (I think, same width as a VR6 radiator)

Modified radiator fan cowling from a Seat Inca van (car runs so cool due to size of radiator that the fan has not needed to come on yet)

Full black leather interior

Stainless steel Powerflow exhaust system including de-cat pipe

Spax adjustable suspension

Technomagnesio 15" alloys

Golf mk3 TDI modified k-frame

It's fairly straight forward in fitting the engine, few minor mods here and there but its mostly the electrical side of things that is slightly more challenging. If you have wiring diagrams of the corrado and the donor engine it shouldn't be too bad. Its best to have a complete donor car rather than just the engine, box, loom and ecu as there is some useful little bits and pieces elsewhere that are forgotten about.