fendervg

fendervg's VR6, a.k.a "The Shark"

@dox - yeah, I'm going to check the mechanism and flaps very carefully and lubricate it all and make sure it moves freely. To be honest, the foam inside looks to be in very good condition - I'm having trouble sourcing some replacement adhesive backed foam, have only found felt so far.

@dox - yeah, I'm going to check the mechanism and flaps very carefully and lubricate it all and make sure it moves freely. To be honest, the foam inside looks to be in very good condition - I'm having trouble sourcing some replacement adhesive backed foam, have only found felt so far.

hi fender

i believe the adhesive backed felt is the right stuff for the airbox relining - that is what i kindly got sent by someone on here

not sure on the vents though

That's what I used in the end. On closer inspection the foam on the flaps was soaked through and when I tried to use a hair dryer to dry it out it just crumbled to pieces. I split the air box and recovered all three - all assembled and lubricated now, ready to be refitted tomorrow:

ccc0f5c9379fe96e73de410f037d2f10.jpg

Just an update on some poor running issues I was having over the last few months and how they were eventually resolved.

Basically the car was suffering the dreaded stalling when coming to a stop or dipping the clutch, and an also had an erratic idle and some lurching/bucking. Often it would cut out at junctions several times even on short journeys, hot or cold. It would also sometimes buck violently in low gears and lurch without warning.

This is all now resolved, thanks to two things:

- I took off the intake boot to check for air leaks, and noticed some oil around the PCV valve, so cleaned that up and added some host clips to make a tight seal. Also noticed a small tear in the vacuum hose from the solenoid valve to the throttle body that runs under the air box. Replaced this.

- After a while, the car suddenly developed a misfire on one cylinder - investigated all the spark plugs and it turned out that one had failed, maybe a crack or something else, but I replaced them all with a new set and now all of the problems are gone and the car idles and returns to idle perfectly every time as it should.

I had checked all the plugs before, and they weren't that old, but it looks like this may have been a gradual failure that eventually manifested itself as a misfire - so always worth replacing the plugs in these cases.

Hopefully this might help some of you having similar problems - these well known symptoms are a nightmare to track down and seem to be caused by multiple things in many cases.

Both options are my favourite wheels on the Corrado. The only downside of the BBS is the extra cleaning time!

They are a great wheel. I put a set on a mk1 GTI I had. Downside was definitely keeping them clean. I swopped my brake pads to the EBC greenstuff ones. That definitely made cleaning easier.

It will be nice to see a picture when they are on

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers - I managed to find a relatively decent set with the all important ever elusive centre caps included - they'll be going for a full refurb soonish, payday permitting! Will post photos once they're on, and then the Speedlines can go for a spot of well-deserved R&R for a while.

Cheers - I managed to find a relatively decent set with the all important ever elusive centre caps included - they'll be going for a full refurb soonish, payday permitting! Will post photos once they're on, and then the Speedlines can go for a spot of well-deserved R&R for a while.

I have a fully refurbished set of the same 15 Inch wheels, never used, complete with original bbs centre caps. Pm me if anyone is interested

I have a fully refurbished set of the same 15 Inch wheels, never used, complete with original bbs centre caps. Pm me if anyone is interested

Now he tells us

Now he tells us

I had advertised them previously but unfortunately didn’t attract any interest

Ah, no worries - didn't see them at the time. Would definitely have been interested in them had I seen them.

I had advertised them previously but unfortunately didn’t attract any interest

If you’ve done the 288mm front brake upgrade, they might not sit well under those bbs’s as they are designed to be over the standard 280mm

Hopefully they should be ok - I have 288s under the standard Speedlines and they fit fine without a problem - and these wheels are of a Mk3 VR6, and they came with the 288s, but I'll do a trial run before I go any further.

Hopefully they should be ok - I have 288s under the standard Speedlines and they fit fine without a problem - and these wheels are of a Mk3 VR6, and they came with the 288s, but I'll do a trial run before I go any further.

They came off an early mk3 VR6 which ran the same brakes as a standard Corrado. I have a set that I was going run but they caught ever so slightly. You can shave a little off the callipers supposedly

Best to give them a wee try to see :)

9293e2984075a7d26451b39a2b8fd009.jpg

Does anyone know how these little clips from the door handle go back on? A picture or link to diagram would be helpful.

Have decided to fix up my car one bit at a time - doing a small job or part of one every day - it's no longer taxed at the moment anyway as the road tax here in Ireland is so prohibitive.

First off will be rebuilding the driver's side door:

- fit new door speaker
- Fix up door card, clean and glue
- repair door handle and refit
- replace upper trim strip
- glue sliding bracket to glass
- fit door membrane and seal

and we'll take it from there.

Edited by fendervg

image.png

Looks like I found it -  #13 on here, looks like it clips on to the handle mounting cut-out in the door...

Edited by fendervg

Ha ha - cheers. Excuse me, mine is not any better. Thanks, that pic makes it easier to see how it fits back on.

Here’s the replacement speaker installed on the door card - I fitted and adapter to connect up to the factory loom. Had to dremel out the fours mounting tabs slightly to get it sit properly.  There are also four little rubber mounts to isolate the speakers from vibrations, watch out for these as they are easy to lose.

0fdef25c1e378c8331dd4212dc139e11.jpg

Next step will be to glue down and tidy up the trim at the sides.

Edited by fendervg

I’ve also been doing the re glueing of the leather onto the door cards. I find this glue does a great job

F05129A8-9991-412D-BC0D-59AD44FC5C3A.jpeg

048C4442-059E-4600-8329-34FFD27CBE39.jpeg

Very nice - is that brush on? I have some Wurth spray adhesive with a fine nozzle that I was going to use, and then maybe even stick down the tricky bits with some fabric tape. Have to say that the finish on the back of the door cards where the lining is just tacked on is pretty poor and a little disappointing - I guess you're not supposed to see those bits.

It is the messiest stuff ever plus it goes off really quick. I use wooden ice lolly sticks as wee spatulas and dispose regularly, they just get too messy.

Just spread a thin layer on both sides, wait 5 mins and put together.

I used spray adhesive on my headlining and it also did a great job so I’m sure you’ll be fine with that 👍

Edited by easypops
Mistake

oddly enough i have been tidying up the leather from the VR6 for when it is back from the paint shop & this too meant ive been slightly toasted on glue fumes lol

pleased to say i now have door cards with zero duct tape on the rear

i used some 3M neoprene high temp glue id brought years ago for the bonnet liners, seeing as i wont be fitting them to my carbon bonnet it was put to use - i sprayed it into a plastic tub so as i could then paint it on with a fine brush, seems to have worked a treat