Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

SOMETHING REALLY IRRITATING

Does ANYONE know where I can get a replacement bulb for my key- you know the one you use to find the ignition in the dark. I have looked EVERYWHERE including VW and Maplin etc and have had no luck

Its beginning to get on my nerves now

Its a tiny 1.5V one

Cheers

I am sure Kev H said he replaced his with a high intensity LED from Maplin. Its on my list of things to do and I bet it would give much better light 8)

I did on my old BMW key but I wasn't aware Corrado's had torch light keys?

Get the dealer to list the parts used to make up a MK2 Golf 16V/G60 torch key as they use the same bulbs and I was able to get a replacement from the dealer...and a battery.

Small Maglite torches use a similar bulb too, if that's any help.

K

I think they were introduced 1994/5 and only on one of the two keys supplied

Pics?

I need to get one due to the poor street lighting in my area. Part numbers would be handy too please?

And THEN I can I do my ultrabright LED mod :-)

K

unless all original keys were torchkeys and have been replaced with others over the years

These torch keys are readily available from VW dealers. I think my last one was around £13 (3 months ago).

Excellent, cheers VR6. I'll speaking to the dealer tomorrow then!

Steve, to do the LED mod, you need 2 x CR1623 batteries and an ultrabright LED, colour of your choice. The hole in the two plastic halves will need taking out to 5mm and the internals will need slight modification.

My Bimmer key was almost identical to that and the mod was easy....when I get the parts and mod it, I'll post up the procedure.

K

Hmmm...my dealer has 5 in stock but he said they're all transponder keys and non-transponder keys with Lights don't exist for the Corrado. That can't be right as some of you have the light keys without transponders......dealers....what do they know?

Anyway, so what I'll do is just get the key and not bother having the transponder chip setup.

Cheers

K

have you seen the g60 /16v golf keys on ebay? i guess the dealer still sells em

how do you get 2 batts in the key...and what voltage led do i need

have you seen the g60 /16v golf keys on ebay? i guess the dealer still sells em

how do you get 2 batts in the key...and what voltage led do i need

Ultrabright 5mm LEDs have a forward voltage of 2.4V, so you need two CR1623s to make 3V, which is fine for the LED. You just put one on top of the other.

CR1616s will do and you can get them from Boots. CR1623s just have more current and are slightly thicker, so are better for the job. Standard key lights operate off one 1.5V cell battery.

The internals of the key will need modifying. I've done it before and it's pretty straight forward, so I'll post a picture guide up in due course.

K

Sorry, you need just one CR1623....they are 3V.

A CR1616 or CR1620 will do the job. 23s are rare and will need to be bought online or in a camera shop. The higher the last two digits, the higher it's current rating, that's all.

K

Sorry, you need just one CR1623....they are 3V.

A CR1616 or CR1620 will do the job. 23s are rare and will need to be bought online or in a camera shop. The higher the last two digits, the higher it's current rating, that's all.

K

Strictly speaking the last two digits are the thickness of the cell in tenths of mm, i.e. 1.6mm or 2.0 mm in this case. Too thin and it might not fit snuggly enough in whatever holder it's been designed to go in... but yeah, bigger numbers do give bigger capacity ;-)

And the first 2 digits are the diameter of the cell in mm i.e. 16mm :-)

Yeah that's true.....forgot about that! The 23 is best as it's thicker but I've modded my key already and CR1616s, 20s and 23s all work perfectly :-)

Pics to follow once the camera batteries finish charging!