JMC

Getting my head around central locking problem...

Right, I have an issue with my central locking, and before I bang my head about it any more I want to get some advice please.

I had the drivers door handle fail on me a while ago (not the usual striker pin but metal fatigue in another part). I replaced that with a second hand one, but then the central locking would no longer operate from the drivers side. The key on the drivers door only unlocked the drivers door. On the passenger side if I used the key in the door it locked/unlocked everything as it should do.

I presumed it was the switch in the replacement door handle, so I buy another one, and lo and behold the same problem - using the switch on the drivers door dos not operate the central locking.

If I use the alarm button on the fob, that locks/unlocks everything as it should (including the drivers door).

Question is, is this likely to be a fault with the electrical system or the central locking pump on the drivers side, as it doesn't seem to be door handle related?

Any advice gratefully received please folks.

If the driver door unlocks from the passenger side and also using the alarm fob then the central locking system is ok. Seeing as the problem started with the handle swap then my money is on the second handle also being faulty.

Exactly the same problem with mine Jonathan but I've never bothered to fix it because the alarm fob works fine. Mine was fine, then worked from the driver's door intermittantly and now it doesn't work at all, so it's either a duff microswitch in the handle or maybe metal fatigue / vibration has severed a wire somewhere in the loom.

Let me know if you sort it!

It could be a break in the wire, check the connections in the plug (the one the door handle wire plugs into) trace this wire it could have damage as it passes through the door into the car.

The chances that both replacement door handles are duff, is very unlucky. !

Are you sure it's not just how It's supposed to work? I mean on my 8v one turn of the key opens the drivers door and two opens everything ???

Thanks guys. Mine used to open/lock everything on the 1st turn on both the passenger and drivers side. Now it just does that on the passenger side. Tried the 2 turns thing as well on the driver side and nothing - doesn't work. Next time I have the door apart will try bridging the wires and see what that does then, and will check for breaks in the wires. One thing I did notice today, if I just unlock the drivers door, and then go for a drive, the passenger door also unlocks by itself. What causes that?