carrots

gen vw rear axle bushes

hi my axle bushes on my 1990 1.8 16v are worn.whats it cost for gen vw uns.ive been told there beter than poly bush

Use the forum search! This has to be up there with the most asked corrado questions :)As for current vag price I'd imagine around 100 quid for both from vag by now.

no, I meant £100 including vat for a pair :lol:

possibly as bit cheaper if you can get a trade price from TPS etc, but judging by the £50 EACH they want for front top mounts now they aren't going to be peanuts.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's only about the same as a tank full of fuel these days though.

The main thing about the rear bushes is the amount of work involved, not the price of the bushes anyway.

I ordered some last week (TPS), they mis-quoted 18 quid each and then after delivery tried to invoice £45 plus vat trade EACH

Early passat '357' one-peice mounts.

The main thing about the rear bushes is the amount of work involved, not the price of the bushes anyway.

If you find some one who has teh proper VW tool they can be done in an hour believe it or not.

The proper tool is like a clamp on puller that is specially designed for the sole purpose of doing these bushes. You dont even need to remove the axle to use it, you simply pop out the main bolts that go through the bushes and drop down the front of teh axle, the tool clamps on and an insert bolts through the bush. You then screw the insert through aa backing plate and it pulls out the bush.

Refitting is basically the same as removal but you reverse the whole tool.

I have only ever seen the correct tool used once and it was very impressive. It took me a good 5 hours work to do my mk2 golf ones using traditional methods and lots of swearing LOL

If you find some one who has teh proper VW tool they can be done in an hour believe it or not.

I do believe it because I've seen it done - Easy with the right tools!

If you have access to ramps it'd make things a heck of a lot easier as you can sort of jack the back of the car up and leave the axle in place and just drop the front of the beam down to do the bushes. The method we used when we did the ones on my old 16V seemed excellent.. simply powerdrilled out the (f*cked) rubber inserts and then took a hacksaw to the metal collar.. after carefully cutting through it, it eventually "pinged" out of shape and we were able to just pull it out, then insert the replacement bushes with the VW tool!

i mite try and get mine done this month.i was told the poly bush type are easyer to fit

I wouldn't go there! They take 5mins to fit when the old ones are out

Personally I don't think anything is wrong with them. That's my opinion though

There is a wiki i think which shows how to do it, it even shows the VW special tool.

I, being a cheap skate, made my own special tool,:cheers: and you can get the old bushes out in about 10-20 minutes. Unfortunately it's crap when putting them back in :(