seanl82

Not a Corrado owner...............YET!!

Hi all, Hope you dont mind that I dont own one yet, but want to get a feel for which would be the best choice and what to look out for before I take the plunge! I live in Plymouth, and have only really been into VAG (or modding and tinkering anyway) for about a year. I currently have a Mk3 golf GTI :bonk:, but its helped me build up my confidence with having a good old play around, without it being a great loss if I really cock things up if I do something wrong. I'm on a few other VW forums (GolfGTI, SWDubs, ClubGTI) etc..... and only really took notice of Corrados after seeing a few modded ones on there. Have to say, I fell in love with em and cant stop thinking about em recently! :luvlove:

Probs been asked a million times, but couldnt find it on a search, and probs better off in another section, but which is best to get out of the 1.8 and 2.0 16V? I think these are my best options, as it will be used as a commuter a couple of days a week (only half a dozen miles each way) when the missus need her car too. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbleft:

Before Alex_G60 comes along to brainwash you to buy a G60 I'll provide a totally unbiased opinion! the 2.0's and the 1.8's are exactly the same bhp but the 2.0l has a restrictive cam for emissions, putting the kr cam (1.8 ) in the 2.0 can take it up to about 160bhp!! plus the 2.0l have the later style bodywork and interior which I prefer but that is personal choice!

If I would you I would go test driving, I use a VR6 on a 25mile roundtrip everyday and easily get 35mpg+ but that drastically reduces in town driving but I absolutely love it, I've owned a 1.8 16v and i loved it but the VR6 is a totally different monster. Never driven a G60 but I would like to, just to see the difference.

Thanks for replies guys. I was tempted to go G60 originally, but having looked into it and being a bit of a tight arse, it sickens me to think of throwing almost £500 every couple of years at it for charger rebuilds. After my OP and reading it back, for the amount of milage I will be doing, I suppose a VR could be a viable option. Will be looking into this as well now then! Thanks for info on the 16v Swiftkid, I didnt realise its a simple enough cam change on the 2.0 to get it up to scratch, and I know what you mean about the body and interior. Is the 2.0 lump the same, or based on the Mk3 lump? Just wondering as there are obviously lots of spares and a wealth of knowlege on other forums regarding these engines so thats a little extra comfort. Deffinately food for thought here now, thanks again! :thumbleft:

hello sean,ime a newby to here ..i have a very good corrado for sale with nearly new engine 18000 miles since fitted as it sounds like ur after a corrado for the long haul this could be the car for u,it will avarage 30 mpg on extra urban motoring,,let me no if any good to u..

1995 corrado vr6 in green with new engine only done 18000 miles rebuilt and fitted by vw.black leather int.good condition.elec mirrors sun roof heated seats/washer jets.standard car.10 disc cd changer fitted.car showing 101000 miles.£4000.00 ono

Welcome, if your looking for a nice reliable cheap sports coupe then the corrado is not it... :lol:

However if your handy with the spanners and you've got the time and money I'd highly recommend it, I've went the 2L route however the sound of a vr6 is very addictive.

To be honest, just go for the best you can afford. A VR is only marginally less economical than a 16v. Don't discount the 8v either. Drive as many as you can and get one that's been looked after with good bodywork. Check sills, around fuel filler cap/neck, rear arches etc.

Cheers fellas. Can't afford 4k ATM I'm afraid. Sounds a proper good un though. I really want a vr, problem is there are precious few down here to check out and test drive with any other lump in as well. Scrimping together as much as possible to see what I can get. Mot expires on the daily hack mid nov, so will break that I think to add to the fund. Hopefully prices will be better in the lead up to Xmas as well. Fingers crossed anyway.

Cheers fellas. Can't afford 4k ATM I'm afraid. Sounds a proper good un though. I really want a vr, problem is there are precious few down here to check out and test drive with any other lump in as well. Scrimping together as much as possible to see what I can get. Mot expires on the daily hack mid nov, so will break that I think to add to the fund. Hopefully prices will be better in the lead up to Xmas as well. Fingers crossed anyway.

Hello there,

Just thought i'd give you my limited advice being a new corrado owner myself. same as you, been into volkswagens for a while, owned three mk2 golfs before my Rado, and i love it. my main advice would be don't rush into buying one. have a really good shop about, i didn't and am paying for it now. however i'm sure there are a good number of really honest cars about. going for the 1.8/2.0 16v route seems like an excellent idea, should be able to get a tidy example for a grand and half maybe two if you shop around. might be worth looking at some with a few minor issues if your comfortable with the spanners or don't mind learning as you

can use little problems to haggle on price. just make sure the base is good, strong engine, gearbox and shell, stuff like spoiler, sunroof, even fans not working can be fixed yourself so shouldn't put you off to much. Everyone goes on about the VR6, and i'm not going to lie the noise and power are awesome but a sorted 16v is plenty quick, and with the right exhaust i love the sound(friends got a mk2 16v, sounds awesome)

Just be prepared that whichever one you buy will need stuff doing, its just inevitable, but trust me, owning one is brilliant, even with the headaches there a unique car, i've never owned anything that gets as many comments or makes you feel as good driving it, you won't regret it mate.

Regards,

Max,

Edited by Bs6VR6

well said^, i also jumped straight at the first corrado, also paying for it! but at the cost of my time so its not that bad.

just make sure the shell is good!! parts can be replaced fairly easy but metal work cant!

if you havent seen this vid then check it out ;)

Cheers guys, good vid that. May have to do some travelling to find a decent one but I suppose that adds to the fun. Been reading up on here with potential problems that can occur, and I like to think I'm a reasonable diy enthusiast, so may be able to do most of the niggly problems that are common. Obviously as long as it has a solid base and doesnt require welding then I'll be happy enough. And obviously as mentioned, those little problems are ammunition when haggling!

You know what mate my valver is for sale id be happy to do you a good deal on it , i bought it for two grand and spent about two maybe three grand on it if you want to have a chat pm me and ill send over my number

Its a 93 bordeux pearl one with cream leather and nice wheels and loads of goodys

Looks awsome mate, I'd love one in Bordeaux Pearl or White as well. Like I said though, unfortunately I simply dont have the funds at present to even offer something close without insulting you! Thanks very much for the offer though. Next month I'll see what I can come up with.

Well if its for a forum member mate and you can come up with 1750 u can take the lot , even if you did that and sold the wheels on for 500 wich u wud easy get for a set that rare and good nik then u have a corrado with plenty done for 1250 wich is a good price really , iv just spent another 250 on it aswell replacing the cv boots and wheel bearings

Let me know mate its just sat on the drive at the mo and it will save me breaking it

Been a while, but finally got there! Paid a deposit for a kr today, gotta pick it up monday though as its off the road and I needed to tax it, but the bloody insurance company are closed until Monday! Anyway, its an 89 kr as mentioned in Dark Burgandy Pearl, 157k with service history up to 128k, then owner serviced there after. On a set of Borbet C's with v. good tread, heat wrapped 4 branch manni, all electrics work, short shifter, lowering springs, (not sure which ones or how much lower it is than stock though as theres nothing in the receipts to say), solid front engine mount, recon gearbox in 07, spare gaskets, wing, 50mm inlet manni, sensors etc etc etc. Bolster is ripped but otherwise interior is mint, with black dash, pillars, door cards and headlining so much nicer than the grey imo. Exterior needs a little tlc but its solid so thats the main point. A few areas of lacquer peel, and some scratches and scuffs here and there, but nothing too big or major. Really good price though, so very pleased and I cant wait to pick it up! Have a few things in mind to get started with, but nothing too vast atm with xmas pretty much taking everything else of my very little disposable income. Gonna give it a good service for my own piece of mind as a first step though, and maybe some laminex in places and a bra to cover some of the lacquer peel on the bonnet for the time being.