elliott

Elliott's '93 Scottish valver

OK so I've taken a couple of minutes to start some kind of log but as usual there just isn't enough hours in the day...

So the story begins with me running around in a '88 W124 Mercedes 250TD (Touring Diesel, NOT Turbo) that has served me very well over the last few years but now needs a little welding to one wheel arch and a complete re-spray. No problem me thinks but after getting some quotes of £1500! to paint my trusty bus I've since decided to buy a second hand compressor and paint it myself :bonk:

Now I hate rushing about late on Sunday nights trying to get the car put back together for Monday morning so somehow I persuaded my lovely wife that what I needed was a second car, maybe something fun like an old gti but it had to be cheap.

I've always liked the corrado and its the vw I've never had after having just about every Mk of golf and a couple of polos and a scirroco, and after a quick look on gumtree there seemed to be more than a few to choose from and for not a lot of money. (yes you get what you pay for)

So to cut it short most of the cars I looked at were either beyond repair or had just been painted (not always a good thing) and all of them had been lowered with all the tell tale signs of crunching over speed bumps and kerbs.

However I came across the car I have now, it's got all the rust in the usual places, everything works, 157K miles on the clock and some after market side skirts that aren't to my taste and as it was the most honest car I came across a cheeky offer was made and the car was mine... :cheers:

This was back in June and so far this is what has been done, learning all the way...

1: engine mounts (desperately needed done)

2: wishbone rubbers and ARB links

3: Ball joints and track rod ends

4: water pump

5: 2nd week the door handle failed (thanks to Daves16v for the kit :thumbleft:)

6: new front tyres (went with toyo... fantastic tyre)

However the list of what needs done is much much longer and over time I'll try and take as many pictures as I can, this is supposed to be the second car after all .....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49273[/ATTACH]

Edited by elliott
Can't spell

OK last night I spent 10 minutes looking into my idle/sensor problems and would you believe a can of wd40 and a little wire brush is all it took...

This is the oxygen sensor connector [ATTACH=CONFIG]49419[/ATTACH]

It's purring as it should thanks, just the knock sensor to replace and I've got a couple off a scrap car to try.

Only thing i need to find out now is why these ones have been bodged? Any ideas? [ATTACH=CONFIG]49420[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49421[/ATTACH]

Oh and i see an S4 on your list...

Oh and i see an S4 on your list...

Good stuff. Yes, picked it up yesterday, it's amazing! Despite it's age, it drives like a dream, so I'm quiet happy!

Hull tonight, should be a chilled cruise!

No idea about the bung. As long as it's not leaking air and nothing is liable to come off it and into the intake, I doubt it'll be causing much harm.

Yeah it all works so if it ain't broke I'll just put it all back.

The S4 would be my first choice for an estate, you get all the practicality of a big car but with the ability to drive it like a sports car :cool:

Unfortunately I'm not brave enough to own one hence the old diesel estate for the practicality and the corrado for the fun factor

The big question but... is it faster than the vr ???...

Miles faster than the VR! It's just a monster with a gorgeous power delivery.

Bit of a barge on back road, but has rotten front tires and lowered suspensino, which won't help without uprated shocks.

I prefer sedate cruising anyhoo!

See ya soon hopefully (if Alex lets me bring the S4 that is! lol)

Fitted a new wheel sensor today, not very exciting I know but it's the first time i've had the abs light off while driving.

Thought I'd better update this, ABS light was off until I came to turn full lock. Turns out the sensor wire had a brake in it and was well worn with years of turning. Found a mk3 golf one has the same connections, just had to cut the brake pad wear connections off and it fitted straight in. Took it for an MOT after many hours work only to have it fail on a cv boot. I'm suspicious when you just fail for a nicked rubber boot, I'll be looking for any signs of deliberate damage.

Well, had a fantastic weekend driving the car up north for a well deserved break. Car run great all the way up and back, best drive I've had in years. Only thing that broke was the boot lock and the passengers door c/locking has developed a leak. This is where we ended up, Fantastic roads!!

Edited by elliott

Today for some reason i decided to open the sunroof... BANG!

Ahh well, wouldn't be a holiday without some sort of corrado tinker time :lol:

Merry Xmas all and a very happy new year!

Is there a doctor in the house? I've just picked up another corrado after very little thought.

Dam these corrados are infectious....

It's not that exciting unfortunately, just a 2L 16v but it drives better than mine. I think the guy i bought it from is on here under UberMoose but could be wrong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50952[/ATTACH]

Nothing wrong with a valver mate, loved mine when i had it.........whats the story with the bonnet, is that rust?,or did you happen to run into a very unwell seagull? :lol:

It's not that exciting unfortunately, just a 2L 16v but it drives better than mine. I think the guy i bought it from is on here under UberMoose but could be wrong.

Set of Solitudes or Speedlines, get rid of the poo from the bonnet and this will look gorgeous!

Nothing wrong with a valver mate, loved mine when i had it.........whats the story with the bonnet, is that rust?,or did you happen to run into a very unwell seagull? :lol:

It's a rat look thing init? Would look good if the whole bonnet was rusting.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Set of Solitudes or Speedlines, get rid of the poo from the bonnet and this will look gorgeous!

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it'll last long, the list of things it needs is a long one. The leather seats and spares are what attracted me.

So what's your plan? keep both? Build all the good bits into one? How old is it? I think I've seen it before on some site. The bonnet sticker looks familiar

Must be an excuse to meet up somewhere in all that

Happy New Year guys BTW

And the valvers are 4x100 Jamie, not the same as the VR6's ;)

Doh!

Yeah, lets get a wee meet going before easypops is fully engaged with nappy changing!

did you buy it off a fella in grasmere? iv seen it parked up there a few times!

Nappies? Have you been busy easypops? The car is a '92 so has the same running gear as mine but the inside is of the early type. It's in rough condition but not that bad really. I hate to end a cars life but financially it makes sense so I'm going to try and make one good car out the two. Sounds easy huh?

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

did you buy it off a fella in grasmere? iv seen it parked up there a few times!

Yeah, picked it up from a nice chap in Penrith. No heater so it was a cold but very reliable journey up the m74.

Aye, I'll be knee deep in nappies come march, so I guess you could say I've been busy lol , won't stop me getting a day off for a wee meet though(I hope :) )

Oh the joys of the 4 hourly feeds, congratulations!

My wee one will be 2 soon and she already knows exactly which is daddys car lol.

Ok just a quick update, cars are still here and nothing has been done to either of them... house diy is still demanding every hour of my time :(

One more fault added to the list tho, drivers door window has stopped working :scratch: