TanVr6

Which Polisher?!?

Hey All!

Thanks to Karl(kadvr6)

I now kno that I have no choice, and have to get a machine polisher!

The problem is which one?!?

I have looked on cleanyourcar.co.uk

And they have quite a choice!

It looks like a choice between the das pro & meguiars g220 v2

Ive heard enough good abt the das pro! But not so much abt the new meguiars? Has anyone got one or used both of these?

hi tan,

just by this one http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cleanyoucar-ep800-compact-rotary-polisher/ep800-compact-rotary-polisher-pad-kit/prod_855.html no if's and no buts its the best one you can but for less than £200, its the one i used on yours and stellas car, and you seen the difference it made on her car, your painwork is near mint but a little machine magic and i will be mint.

Thanks for putting the link up Karl, I've been wanting a polisher but didn't know which to go for. I've started to wet sand the car after getting rid of a scratch. I liked how the wet n dry got rid of the humps and bumps in the lacquer. Gave a glass like reflection but just needed a polisher to buff it back after. I'll have to research about polish now, don't want a cutting paste as I will have done enough of that already.

no worries mate, i'm really liking this polish http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/meguiars-ultimate-compound/prod_554.html&sa=U&ei=7yuITrbPA8eGhQfC1-HSDA&ved=0CCgQFjAF&usg=AFQjCNGP7AGUZ7uDuV1putoU2vTohtFnVw it works soooo well with the polishing machine above, use the yellow pad and it does really cut, if you use the blue pad and its a lot gentler, and use the white pad for just very light correction.

plus when halfords are doing there 3 for 2 its a bargain.

when i looked at buying one, i just bought one, after looking on ebay at what people pay for a 2nd hand one, i decided if it was no good i could sell for a very small loss.

Dont buy a DA for a C paint work they are not upto the job! they are safer to use as a novice but a rotary gets better results faster!

I personally use 3m polish but i have heard that scholl concepts are the new up and coming water based polish! they are ment to break down better and get good results!

http://www.schollconcepts-store.eu/

Thanks Karl!

Looks I will b ordering one of them ASAP! Iv got some autoglym super resin polish and some meguiars nxt tech wax. Am I best off getting the menzerna kit? Or something from the meguiars range?

And can I get any of the pads or?

Sorry for the stupid questions guys! Complete noob to machine polishing!

Well got me a rotary.

Ep800

Fantastic machine,

Making a huge difference compared to polishing by hand. Not as difficult to use as expected!

great recommendation From Karl.

Would highly recommend to all!

Not too expensive! Thumbs up!

Dont buy a DA for a C paint work they are not upto the job! they are safer to use as a novice but a rotary gets better results faster!

I personally use 3m polish but i have heard that scholl concepts are the new up and coming water based polish! they are ment to break down better and get good results!

http://www.schollconcepts-store.eu/

3M products beat that overpriced stuff from Scholl hands down mate !

Goes on easily, comes off easily and gives a great progressive ( if you use the different grades ) cut and finish.

Most top bodyshops trust 3M and no-one else with good reason.

Alternatively if you are on a budget , i have trialled the liquid shine range produced by Flexipads and i found it very good for the price.

And don't forget the pads as they can make a real difference to the job and finish ( 3m or Flexipads again )

Good luck and have fun !

P.S. i have a surplus of Flexipads polishing pads if you want some.

I thought rotary's were a big no no for novices? I have read alot on this subject and have been convinved i need a DA but now i'm confussed!?!?!

I thought rotary's were a big no no for novices? I have read alot on this subject and have been convinved i need a DA but now i'm confussed!?!?!

Rotary are fine for a novice, I bought a DA and wished I didn't waste the money!

Just just have to keep a rotary moving to reduce the heat into the panel and keep the pad moist ;)

Rotary are fine for a novice, I bought a DA and wished I didn't waste the money!

Just just have to keep a rotary moving to reduce the heat into the panel and keep the pad moist ;)

Cheers mate, i'll give it a try then! Does it plug into the wall or do i need a converter (or whatever its called)?

Cheers mate, i'll give it a try then! Does it plug into the wall or do i need a converter (or whatever its called)?

You mean a transformer :)

No you can get 240v ones, you can pick up silverline ones for about £40 on eBay

You mean a transformer :)

No you can get 240v ones, you can pick up silverline ones for about £40 on eBay

Thats the one :lol:

Cheers mate

if you have no experince of rotary polishing DO NOT get a £40 ebay polisher, you will easily go through lacquer if your not carefull.

Hi Guys,

Been a long while since I've been on here but I've started to plough some cash into my 2l 16v, just about to get it machine polished and wondered if anyone can direct me to some before and after shots of work they've done/had done/seen ... it's a red/pink '92!

Cheers!

Paul

You wont achieve professional standards of correction for a long while so trying to compare with what others may have is pointless. The comments above about the Silverline going through lacquer is tosh! Your no more likely with a Silverline as you are with a £400 festool machine. As said, novices just dont do their homework, and try to use loads of pressure on very concentrated areas, and this results in burn through and damage to paintwork. Theres a great, and involved guide on Detailing World about Rotary machines as well as DA's. Do your research and you wont go far wrong. I have a cheap Clarke machine that I've been using for about 6 months now. Its alot heavier than an expensive machine so your arms ache quicker, the lead isn't as long so you have to be more careful when moving round, its not got a digital dial (woop di doo), and its not as good quality so doesn't have as long a warranty. Thats the only real difference between a £40 machine and a £400 machine. :o

Hi Guys,

Been a long while since I've been on here but I've started to plough some cash into my 2l 16v, just about to get it machine polished and wondered if anyone can direct me to some before and after shots of work they've done/had done/seen ... it's a red/pink '92!

Cheers!

Paul

This yours by any chance? http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=259868

havnet read all the posts on here but i use a variable speed grinder with buffer attachment pad {allows me to use 3m's green/blue pad's }, cost around £50.00 ,the key feature is varibale speed! thats the feature you need for buffing! and what shaun says above is spot on! theres realy no need need to splash out £400.00 on something that does exaclty the same thing which you will probably only use twice a year, i use it to cut, grind and just give it a quick clean with the airline before buffing paint very versatile tool which earnt its money months ago.

this is the puppy! highly recomend it, lasted me ages! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/950W-POLISHING-BUFFER-CAR-VAN-BOAT-VALETING-POLISHER-/160602651779?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2564a9fc83

just dont use the attachments it comes with , there do you more harm then good! use 3m products or other well known brand.

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Back to the pads and polishes, I use 3M and rate them very highly as well. The fact they are colour coded is great for a simplton like me too! The Green Fast Cut Plus polish is very harsh though. It dries out very quickly too, so you need to use a very small amount, and keep it lubed up. Start off with a small panel (front wing), and figure out what best gives you the required cut. Start with a finishing polish with finishing pad (3M ultrafina with blue pad). Then work up the pad to a yellow if required. If you still require more cutting, go for the extra fine compound (yellow top) and blue pad. Then yellow pad if required, etc etc, you get the picture. Once swirls are out and if you have gone to a more aggressive cut (remember to be very very careful with how much paint you are taking off!), you may need to refine it anyway by going for a second pass using a finishing polish and pad.