ben_wooduk

Corrado VR6 - K22 BRW

So, I recently picked up a leather interior just down the road from me which had been nicely looked after/treated etc. To be honest, the foams felt good but as I'd replaced my cloth interior with new/nearly new parts I knew mine were better so I set about swapping them over.

I firstly disconnected both halves of the seat, something that is far easier when the heated seat wires don't come into play, it makes it very awkward.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95141[/ATTACH]

Partial refund and a giant paper clip??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95142[/ATTACH]

I wanted to swap over the base foams too so gently peeled off the heated seat element

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95144[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95145[/ATTACH]

Looks a little crusty! I won't know if the heated element works until I get the loom installed, I'll get round to it at some point

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95146[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95147[/ATTACH]

Still the two halves cannot be separated, all wires disconnected from the base and even had to remove the plug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95148[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95149[/ATTACH]

Finally separated :cheers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95150[/ATTACH]

Now into the part I've never stripped before, the back portion of the seat.

First, remove the head rest retainer clips and pull on the head rest as hard as humanly possible!! (In hindsight I would actually do this step before anything else as it's really hard to grip onto whilst the seat is dismantled)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95151[/ATTACH]

Flip the seat over and bend back the metal tabs to allow the cover to be unclipped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95152[/ATTACH]

Remove the metal loops all around the foams to release the cover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95153[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95154[/ATTACH]

The only thing holding the seat cover on now is the black plastic guides for the head rest. This was an absolute :bad-words: .

The plastic guides come out half way and then get stuck. After ripping open each and every one of my fingers i then decided to use a bit of initiative, i found a socket on an extension worked best, but even still you really need to push to release them!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95155[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95156[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95157[/ATTACH]

Now you haven't got any feeling left in your fingers you can remove the cover & foams from the frame.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95158[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95159[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95160[/ATTACH]

The seat foam removed from the leather (on the right) looks worse than it is tbh, it's quite firm but the replacement is solid!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95161[/ATTACH]

Rebuilding is above reversed, just a lot easier and a lot quicker. Took me longer to clean it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95162[/ATTACH]

Edited by ben_wooduk

As for the driver lower bolster, that was worn, straight through infact which was all the more evident when compared to my nearly new item

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95163[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95164[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95165[/ATTACH]

Rebuilt, cleaned and ready to be installed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95166[/ATTACH]

Edited by ben_wooduk

Very brave for tackling that yourself, but Well done that seat looks brand new, you must be chuffed.

Cheers mate, yes absolutely chuffed with the outcome. I must admit, there was a stage looking at the bare frame thinking I hope this all goes back together again :)

Very impressed and a great write up for anyone else that fancies doing similar!

Cheers, I have plenty more photos where that came from too, for some reason I took hundreds of the things!!

Pining over new wheels but I can't make up my mind.

Anyone know what these wheels are?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96988[/ATTACH]

I tried to go for something like that, they do look nice. Schmidt do something similar

17" SCHMIDT Racelite Cup 3pc. Google this and rimstyle are their uk agents.

I was put off by the offset et you end up with and having to use stretch tyres to get them in and with my previous experience with 17 x 8 didn’t fancy the ride that gives.

Dare do something similar and say 7.5” et35 But for that money not a split rim. https://m.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/dare/f5/silver/17-inch

I tried to go for something like that, they do look nice. Schmidt do something similar

17" SCHMIDT Racelite Cup 3pc. Google this and rimstyle are their uk agents.

I was put off by the offset et you end up with and having to use stretch tyres to get them in and with my previous experience with 17 x 8 didn’t fancy the ride that gives.

Dare do something similar and say 7.5” et35 But for that money not a split rim. https://m.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/dare/f5/silver/17-inch

Those look spot on though, very nice! A bit like keskin kt1 which I also like. I couldn't go for 17's though, would need to be 16.

Well, the dreaded heaters have broken, usual fan direction dial is stuck on the 2nd setting (face only). I think it's sticky Bowden cables, is there an easy way to manually change the direction to windscreen if the cables are knackered?

I think your problem will be that the plastic snail cog has broken. It’s a common problem as they are not very strong. You will have to take the facia out and have a look .

I got round to looking at the heater, Robrado974 you are right as the plastic has sheared off. I managed to move the cables by hand and set the direction to windscreen. To be honest, it'll probably stay like that now, in 14 years of ownership i cant remember ever using the directional dial so i wont lose much sleep!

Fitted an old tape deck while i was at it, only problem is i think the electrical gremlins have arrived. When i connect the stereo all works perfect but my speedo lights come on? If i unplug the stereo again the lights go off, very odd!

Regarding the stereo being plugged in and funky stuff happening. I bet you have a blue and white wire getting power. Remove this wire from the plug, car side, I bet all is well after.

Regarding the stereo being plugged in and funky stuff happening. I bet you have a blue and white wire getting power. Remove this wire from the plug, car side, I bet all is well after.

Blue and white cable behind the stereo? Superb, I'll give it a go. You had the same issue?

Yes first stereo I plugged in with a connector powered the blue and white wire. All sorts of buzzing and funky stuff happening. Removed it from the car connector plug and all was good!

Blue and white wire is to do with speed sensor stuff, so when spoiler goes up etc. When has 12volts in circuit throws a lot of stuff up in the air.

Edited by 1xshaunx1

I thought the snail cog would be the problem. I did the same as you , set the direction myself, until I found a replacement control.

Yes first stereo I plugged in with a connector powered the blue and white wire. All sorts of buzzing and funky stuff happening. Removed it from the car connector plug and all was good!

Blue and white wire is to do with speed sensor stuff, so when spoiler goes up etc. When has 12volts in circuit throws a lot of stuff up in the air.

Spot on with this mate, fixed it perfectly. Cheers

Anyone run a gamma 3 with an AUX input? There are plenty of connectors on eBay claiming to fit a gamma 3 but the connector doesn't look right at all, looks way too small!

Edited by ben_wooduk