ChrisL

Changing inlet manifold (upper part only) - finished

I'm going to change over the inlet manifold on my VR6, I've got the new gaskets but wondered if the bolts needed to be torqued up afterwards or just pulled nice and tight!

Is it a fairly simple job?

If anyone in or near Hull fancies popping over and giving me a hand it would be more then welcome!!!

Edited by ChrisL

Bolts need to be torqued to 25 Nm (18 ft lb) but I didn't have a torque wrench so took a guess.

Those bolts into the head can be a little fiddly to get to and you will need to loosen the bolt that holds the dipstick tube in place to be able to remove the manifold. Yeah fairly easy job.

general rule of thumb is if you are screwing into alloy the torque requirement will be lower as compared with cast iron or steel. Keep the thread updated with pics!

Cheers guys, managed to find a hex socket that will fit in the cap screws at the front. These are now loosened so full steam ahead.

plenty of pics will be taken so I know how it goes back together, I'll post em up.

I would give you a hand but my daily is sounding more and more like its going to spontaneously combust! easy job though, don't go wild with tightening

Very nice! Where did the cover come from? Mine's cracked and that looks great with the polished manifold :cool:

Stone

More pics and any advice on removing it pls, i'd heard you didnt need a new gasket really when just changing the upper?

I'm planning to remove the maniofld and rocker this coming week.

Looks very clean under that bonnet of yours!

Very nice! Where did the cover come from? Mine's cracked and that looks great with the polished manifold :cool:

Stone

The Engine is as I bought the car, but I believe Bill bought the cover and had the VR6 DOHC etched on it.

More pics and any advice on removing it pls, i'd heard you didnt need a new gasket really when just changing the upper?

I'm planning to remove the maniofld and rocker this coming week.

Looks very clean under that bonnet of yours!

I'll keep the pics coming as I progress. I changed the gaskets incase and they were only £15 for the manifold and throttle body.

chris.... have you an owners thread?? C looks LOVELY!

Hi Chris, I think this should be the link to my thread.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?58058-Blackberry-VR6-BBS-RS301-s-17-year-wait!

why you changing it?? looks really good as it is.

Does look really smart but wanted to go back to standard. Red HT leads to be ordered tomorrow I think.

All done now except for the new HT leads. Not a bad job really and easier then expected.

It did seam that everything I wanted to remove was covered by something which led to something else being taken off!!

Started with leads, and engine covers:

Engine2.jpg

I tried to take the throttle body off and leave the throttle cable connected but one of the screws was really tight so I had no choice, was probably the best thing to do though.

Everything removed:

Engine1.jpg

Putting everything back was easy and I had it done, a lot less 'bling' but more OEM and as I wanted it:

Engine3.jpg

Going to have to slowly start taking things off the engine now and cleaning it up.

Red leads look really good!

Can I ask where you bought them and what thickness you went for?

Red leads are standard from VW and at £128.00 a real bargain........

Really? I love OE quality..

You wouldn't happen to have a part number to hand would you?

I will check the box in the morning and let you know.

Nice one...

Thanks