CazzaVR

VR6 Thermostat from Ford- guess how much?

Stat from VW is a round £25 (£17-ish with discount). Popped into my local Ford place today, as they usually come up trumps for VR6 parts like this. Guess how much it is?

£50! The parts guy said a lot of older stuff has recently gone through the roof to persuade people to buy newer cars!

It's really worth to collect parts on the shelf. You can buy some genuine parts from ebay or forums for peanuts and some day you will use them saving few quids. I think I already have at least 3 thermostats.

I priced up HT leads at VW and they were £128.00, I tried ford for some from a Galaxy VR6 and they are £195!!

The parts dept at my local Ford dealer was a bit useless. I went armed with all the details but he couldn't find most of the parts on the system - in fact the only thing he did locate was the aux belt which I'm sure was around £100!

The parts dept at my local Ford dealer was a bit useless. I went armed with all the details but he couldn't find most of the parts on the system - in fact the only thing he did locate was the aux belt which I'm sure was around £100!

lol! Makes the VW price of around £37 seem like a bargain, but the Euro Car Parts ContiTech is identical to the VAG one (minus the VW logo) and half the price again... approx £18.

The stealers have gone a bit mad lately, they still want £186 for a gear selector cover...

Febi thermostats are £7.86 from here though :)

Stone

i used that one a while back, Stone - not worth it. Replaced it with a VAG one asa it got stuck open. The contruction is pretty poor too you can see why it could and does easily get stuck.

I priced up HT leads at VW and they were £128.00, I tried ford for some from a Galaxy VR6 and they are £195!!

£128 as the current price is a very low inflation given they were £120 a set back in 2003 when I bought some.

The only advantage I've seen to going to Ford for VR6 parts is to get the breather outlet pipe, which is available on it's own. VW will only sell you that part as part of the whole intake pipe at £100 ish.

I'm sure there is a cross marque mark up going on somewhere. The same parts, but Ford charge you more for the same delivery truck taking a detour via them on the way to the VW dealers.