large106

First ever road tested Corrado

Hi Guys,

Sorry to post here without introducing myself to the forum, I have a dilemma! My girlfriend came across a corrado for me this christmas and bought it for me there and then! Iv always been into VW's as I used to be a mechanic at the local dealership for many years... She came across quite a rare find. Its the first ever corrado that was roadtested and featured in the autocar&motor magazine! sadly after getting it home and thinking long and hard It wants a fair bit of work doing to it as its been stood for a few years down a drive. I dont want to scrap it or break it because I have the magazine thats got a 9 page spread on it. Im sure that it could be restored back to its former glory and become a real peice of history. I was going to just advertise it but you guys on here may be interested in it?

I will try and add some pics of it too.:smug:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50977[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50978[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50979[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50980[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50981[/ATTACH]

Edited by large106

bit more info if you would please, what kind of work are we talking? and also a price of course.

cheers,

andy

If you love dubs and have the skills ,this having the history it does ,it makes sense to keep ? I know i would .

Also if i didnt have the vr i would have loved to have got the g60 jet that came up a while back .

Edited by robrado974

definitely one to hang onto, but if you do sell then please not to a breaker :/

Definitely one to keep and do up. Just don't be fooled into letting a breaker have it. My last C (a '91 valver) had sentimental value, I let it go to someone who claimed to be an enthusiast that wanted to do it up......the next day, it was advertised on here being broken for parts.......kinda heartbreaking really!!

Having just made a sentimental Corrado purchase myself I am probably not best placed to offer advice - but I would say that the car is historic and should not be got rid off. At the very least you should advertise it on here. It would be good to know what the issues are with it. With all the help you can get from people on here things will not be as daunting as they may be without help.

I saw that one on eBay at the time and thought it would be a good one to keep on the road. Needs fair few bits doing though iirc? As others have said, please advertise it here first if selling's the route you're going to take. I remember on here, back in the day, that one of the owners restored a very early corrado with vinyl seat backs to a meticulous standard. Nothing to do with this one I assume?

* Edit, the one restored was f240bvv and was restored in 2007 by a member called Jimmi. Just googled it on my phone, so can't post links! Wonder what happened to that one?

Edited by wafers

Sorry for the lack of information guys, Id like to keep it but I really dont have the time, I have 5 kids and 2 of them are under 1yrs old... as you can imagine not only the cost but the time as well. It was on ebay yeah, my girlfriend knew the person who advertised it and said she would have it!

Iv looked at the car and It does want a few things, iv found it needs a Fuel pump and a lift pump in the tank ( due to being sat for so long they have both siezed) it needs a back panel and some attention to the N/S/R 1/4 panel. there are also 2 small holes at the front on the floor. all the electrics work ect, and the interior is in good clean condition. After many projects I know its not a 2 min job and may sit under cover down my drive for months. Id rather it go to somebody who wants to do it. I have loads of history with it and cof corse a copy of the magazine it was featured in.

We are located in Blackpool and as for money she paid £400 for it. as long as I can get my money back on it im happy :smug: not alot of cash for potentially a cracking bit of history.

I wondered when this would pop up on here.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I guess you've priced up getting it back to a good standard then. I looked at this when it was on the bay and although the seller wasn't going to give it away, it had to be (very) cheap for it to be worth a punt.

Fact is, it needs an enthusiast/masochist to get it to where it needs to be.

Seems a shame, but to me this is one of those that has just gone too far. Unless it's just patched up and used as a knock about.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. James

PS: I take it you're in the north west ?

I seem to recall a forum member having this car before, at some point in the cars life it looked very sorry for itself and needed some major work, including welding. would be very good to keep it on the road as its very iconic and deserves restoring to its original condition, either way good luck with the direction you go with it.

Sorry for the lack of information guys, Id like to keep it but I really dont have the time, I have 5 kids and 2 of them are under 1yrs old... as you can imagine not only the cost but the time as well. It was on ebay yeah, my girlfriend knew the person who advertised it and said she would have it!

Iv looked at the car and It does want a few things, iv found it needs a Fuel pump and a lift pump in the tank ( due to being sat for so long they have both siezed) it needs a back panel and some attention to the N/S/R 1/4 panel. there are also 2 small holes at the front on the floor. all the electrics work ect, and the interior is in good clean condition. After many projects I know its not a 2 min job and may sit under cover down my drive for months. Id rather it go to somebody who wants to do it. I have loads of history with it and cof corse a copy of the magazine it was featured in.

We are located in Blackpool and as for money she paid £400 for it. as long as I can get my money back on it im happy :smug: not alot of cash for potentially a cracking bit of history.

I take it by the fuel pump. it doesn't drive and therefore would need trailered/recovered somewhere?

Do you know when the last tax/MOT was?

Thanks, J

Yeah it's a non runner at the min, I'm not sure when the last mot was on it. I was told it was fine until it was stood.