diarmaid16

Am I mad?

I've owned my VR6 for a few months now and have loved every minute of it. I get butterflies every morning I go outside to get into it. (Sad I know!) I love the sound of it and the power but I keep thinking about the 2.0 16v I had a couple of years ago and it just has something over the VR6 in my opinion. I think its how heavy the front of the car is and I felt a lot more confident in the 16v. Also maintenance wise the cost of having to do the chains at some stage scares me a bit whereas I'm well able to just change a timing belt myself. I have started to think about just swapping or part exchaging the VR for a clean valver but the VR has been great to me so far, only having to replace a wheel bearing and it's great on the motorway. I suppose I'll just have to weigh up what I want! Also, where are all the scottish corrados? On all the sites I check theyre all well down south, hundreds of miles away.

Anyway, just thinking out loud! Any opinions welcoome.

Diarmaid

It's ok guys, don't worry. I guess some people are just wired that way. Like how some men prefer a Mango Mojito over a pint of Stella.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the chains either. It's a bit like worrying about a hip replacement when you're 73.

I will give you 5p for every thread you can find entitled "help my chains have snapped and buggered up my engine".

Speaking seriously for a minute, does the valver hold many ace cards over a VR these days? I say 'these days' as a few years back we would say one major thing: price. However, with purchase cost shoved to one side, fuel economy and expensive replacement parts/fixes must be pretty much on par?

A 2.0 valver's joker card should be simplicity and therefore running costs but how true is that, bearing in mind that they are essentially the same car apart from the power plant?

I did over a 100k in a valver,and they do get under your skin ! If driven sensible, return good gas milage. But as more newer cars are coming out of the factory with more power,I found I had to drive harder to keep up with the general traffic. The saving grace with them is if set up properly,they will out handle the Vr !

I loved mine,alway will !

Hello fellow doonhamer, i'm from dumfries myself originally :)

Plenty corrados in scotland, more than you think and some real nice ones too! Most people i've come across start with the valver but always end up trading in for the vr6, don't get me wrong the whirrr of the 6 cylinder is enough to want one but i'm happy with the old 16v. Having never owned a vr6 i can't say for sure but the valver isn't as simple as the vr, the injection system is a bit of a faf and a rubber belt aint the best but i do enjoy wringing it's neck :lol:

Hi Diarmaid I went upto Dumfries last September to buy a MK4 R32 and on the way home on the A75 I spotted a Corrado and gave a flash might of been you if there aint many about that neck of the woods. Anyway back on topic your not mad. My Corrado was written of last March and I still miss it everyday. Enjoy it while you've got it mate.

Cheers Alan

Of course you're not mad. Load of people want a mk2 Golf GTI and they are the same engine. The VR6 is the one for me due to the noise and pull of the engine. But the valvers are nimble and were probably less abused in the past. There have been some cracking valvers on here. They are not the poor cousins at all but cracking little cars.

No, I don't think you're mad either. I realise it isn't quite the same beast, but I have a mk2 Jetta GTI as my daily and I love it Having said that, my VR is the keeper if I have to go back to one car, but the J still makes me smile :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought here, the vr6 was considered the best fwd car in the 90's right? Yet its well known that the valver handles better? Interesting thought, probably just opened a can of trouble with the v6 owners now :lol:

I love(d - sob!) my Mk2 Golf 16v, with all of those revs, albeit it only the 1.8 not the 2 litre. Wind it up to 5k rpm or more and whizz along the motorway is a great way to fly - you can real feel the engine breathing fast and hard! I'd love to try a valver in a Corrado chassis - I bet it's great fun around the bends, with more control and slide than the mildly terrifying bodyroll of my old golfy... The VR6 is the only C I know, though I'm assured the handling of the lighter front end makes for a more nibble car, as someone said above.

Yet its well known that the valver handles better?

Your proof being ... ?

And I don't own a VR ;)

In the real world there would be bugger all difference between the two.

People seem to take 'handling' to mean how fast a car can go round a corner, but there's so much more to it than that and it's entirely subjective. Can a valver physically go round the same corner faster than a VR6, stock vs stock? Of course it can't. It's the same bloody car :lol: They'd both max out their grip and understeer at about the same point in the apex. People just assume because the VR6 has a heavier engine it will just understeer immediately. Wrong.

Modified vs Modified is where it gets interesting and I think the VR6 nose weight assumists would be surprised by it's cornering speeds, if that is what are using a reference to determine 'handling' ;)

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Not trying to prove anything here, the 6 vs 4 cylinder argument has and will go on for a long time. Yes they are the same car but to assume they are just the same to drive would be wrong i think. As for modified vs modified well thats a different bag altogether, it's not about the cars anymore but more about how deep your pockets are.

Anyhow, mines a Mango Mojito thanks :)

I'll probably hold on to the VR for a while anyway and keep an eye out for any nice 16v's that come up for sale during the year. I guess I'm a Mango Mojito man too!

Elliott - I'm just a blow in from Ireland, so can't claim to be a doonhamer! I'm up in Glasgow every couple of w'ends so I'll keep an eye out for your C.

Thanks for all the opinions

If your up here or if i'm down there you're welcome to have a go in the 16v, i had a sirocco scala injection many years ago and i loved it! However after a while i got behind the wheel of one again and hated it. You might find it's the memories you love more than the 16v itself?

Do the boy racers still go round and round the town and up and down the sands? I'd guess the cost of fuel might have ended that hobby :)

See I don't know about stock vs stock as I've never driven a valver or vr in stock form but modded vs modded with the exact same suspension and tyre set up I found the valver to be a much more balanced car round the twistys.

Don't get me wrong a vr may be as quick (if not quicker) in the twistys but it certainly doesn't feel as nice or inspire as much confidence.

I've more or less decided my next rado will be a valver of some sort due to the above (unless a nice 24v comes up for sale in which case how can you say no to that sound lol).

Edited by Abdul

Cheers for that. Maybe it is the memories, I don't know!

Ya theres a few boy racers about the sands these days. There was a big cruise down there just before the christmas. Some shocking machinery!

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Abdul, thats what I mean about the confidence thing. It seems mach nicer to me and I feel a lot more confident in it.

Go for it mate, charge/turbo it once you need more power lol. You don't need huge figures for maximum smiles so you could potentially do it on a smallish budget if you get hold of 2nd hand parts etc.

I have to admit, I've never driven a VR, but in my opinion, I'd have thought the valver would handle better due to weight.

That said, my other half used to own a VR, and getting into my old 1.8 16v, she reckoned the valver handled better. And she now prefers the 2.0 16v we've got over the old 1.8.

Haven't tried the VR6 but I do own my own Valver... Figured it would be easier to work on, and from what I can tell it's certainly less complicated than the VR. Cheaper to run too without the loss of power.

Probably worth mentioning as well that the 16V 2.0 converted me from 2 wheels to 4...

Probably worth mentioning as well that the 16V 2.0 converted me from 2 wheels to 4...

Same here, lol. I actually traded my slightly tuned Kwak ZX6R for my first C, a 2.0 16v. The only car I'd rather have than a motorbike!!

Great thread:smug:

Love my Valver (thanks Abdul:dance:) & it's been playing on my mind about the VR6 & G60. Always feel that the valver kinda get left out which has been making me think should i have gone for the VR6. Maybe im just longing for something i already have & just need to get the wallet out to get the extra power im hungry for:shrug: (can feel a new thread coming on).

Never been in a VR6 so i wouldn't know the difference but it's nice to see there is love for the Valver:thumbleft:

Rory

Rory why not get a bit of work done to the head and get hold of a 4 branch etc and see what you can do with the valver? 170-180 brake should be doable but it'll never be as smooth or relaxing to drive as a vr...

Alternatively stick an Abf in with a p&p head.

One more thing, change the coilys to something more forgiving, the ones on your valver are too unforgiving and I often found my wheels skipping off the road on harsh surfaces lol.

Any shots of the valver as it stands? Get a thread up man!