Rorgasm

Increase 16v Bhp

Following on from a thread I created yesterday about converting a 16v to a G60 I thought I’d give more of a sensible trail of thought & start off with what I could do to the 16v engine to increase its power & how I would go about it (companies to use, rough cost).

Been in the back of my mind to replace all the gaskets & rings so if I do go down that route it would be a perfect time to look at pushing up the BHP. Would love to hear some advice as I haven’t got a clue when it comes to engine upgrades.

Cheers guys

Rory

p.s forgot to say i already have medium lift Cams fitted (by Swompy).

Edited by Rorgasm

Ok so easiest option would be a 'man in the shed head' using your current kr cams and 'hotgolf' flywheel, both members can be found on clubgti. Also get hold of a 4 branch mani and get the car mapped to suit.

Better option would be to do the above to an Abf which is supposed to be a relatively easy swap.

One problem you may find though is that the fuelling on the 9a's is a bitch. Ke motronic I think it is, the only person that I've seen to have good results with this is corradophil on here but he's put in a lot of effort to get it to where it is. Another option is to run the car on megasquirt. I'm not sure of any pro companies who can map ms but I know toyotec (on clubgti) has had good results with ms and the above work. 170-180 brake iirc.

Also look at samthegram's build thread. His engine is fully rebuilt though with a slightly higher CR.

Pics of the rado Rory? I see you've changed the rims!

Edited by Abdul

I would go with KR cam + flowed head + 4-branch + CrazyDave remap. You should see getting on for 170bhp with that little lot.

Hotgolf has now left ClubGTI.

turbo_charger.jpg

If only it was that easy :lol:

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

I would go with KR cam + flowed head + 4-branch + CrazyDave remap. You should see getting on for 170bhp with that little lot.

Hotgolf has now left ClubGTI.

CrazyDave remap? Almost got the other 3 items (if the user daniel ever gets round to selling the 4 branch :rolleyes:) but remap, i didn't know the ecu was capable of such wizardry?

Ok that'll give me some homework to do:geek:

So obviously trying to find a 4 branch manifold for a 16 2.0l Corrado on google isn't the easiest thing to find:scratch: is any other car compatable???

Also a 'flowed head' any recomended companies??

Thanks for your time once again guys:thumbleft:

will get some pics up on a thread Abdul.......possible respay next month;)

CrazyDave is a member on here. Used to co-own DG Autotech. Remapped Swompy's old 16v with good results. Drop him a pm.

im another going down the 16v route! currently my spare head (the one with larger inlets) is at an engineering place being polished (exhaust side) and smoothed out inlet side, angled valve seats and another skim over. have the larger inlet manifold (50mm) as its said to help out top end - although theres a compromise to be had lower down - and doing a bit of DIY to the airbox and intake piping :p

i am also however stuck for locating 4 branch mnaifolds for the valver engines (mines the 1.8 but still...) they seem to be all for golfs or left hookers??? have read that the standard manifold is not too bad though and can be improved with a good bore out internally too...

good luck and stay clear of the 6 cylinder dark side!! :bonk:

That would be my Valver:smug: i assume i would need it remapped if i did the above suggestions

Can't find a 4 branch ex manifold for toffee :scratch:

I swear i read a thread that the mk2 golf mani fittied the 1.8 though???..........

i did;

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?33645-Will-a-16v-mk2-golf-4-branch-manifold-fit-a-valver

found this on my travels as well

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?54465-corrado-1-8-16v-4-branch-manifold

hope that helps the 1.8 crew:cool:

when you do the cams make sure they are both KR exhaust cams.... dont ask me why but the results are even better that a standard pair

For anyone interested, just had a look at my receipts and the 4-2-1 manni that's fitted to my KR was purchased from Pro Tech in Lancashire. Item number 190168320281 for Golf mk2 GTI and corrado 16v, price in Nov 07 was £189 incl VAT, and £12.75 delivery. No phone number and can't find a website (quick search and hundreds of companies named pro-tech!) but lots of reviews etc online.

Pretty sure that exhaust cam trick only applies to American engines, as they had milder cams than Euro ones. Someone on Vortex did some measuring and discovered that the modded NA exhaust cam is virtually the same as the standard Euro inlet. Its not a simple swap either, as you need to reindex the chain sprocket for it to work, and given that ours is better anyway there is no point.

Pic for inspiration:

headwork.JPG

Getting ported and polished before going for a 3-angle valve job. At least you lot only have one head to do! I'm only a quarter of the way through here :p

I had a 4:1 4-branch from a mk2 on my valver a few years ago and didn't like it much. It lost power below 4K, but went mad above that. Also it melted my shifter cables! I think 4:2:1 will be less peaky. There are usually loads of them on ebay - try searching for a mk3 one instead? Or just clean up the stock manifold a bit and port / gasket match it with the head.

well ive got some help off here if no-one else yet haha! great advice guys, will widen the search for a golf 4-2-1 then, best of luck rorgasm - sorry i am of no assistance!!

I dont know too much on the cam swap... but have seen it done..

I know a guy who is running his 9a on 2 KR exhaust cams and bike carbs.

I do believe he had to redo the timing and remap to suit, but it was rollered at 197 BHP.... the next step is Mega squirt management and ditching the distributor in favour of a vacuum controlled system

I definately learnt a lot today as well:smug:

Got a PM for a brand new custom Mani for £160 delivered so could be my option.

Pretty sure that exhaust cam trick only applies to American engines, as they had milder cams than Euro ones. Someone on Vortex did some measuring and discovered that the modded NA exhaust cam is virtually the same as the standard Euro inlet. Its not a simple swap either, as you need to reindex the chain sprocket for it to work, and given that ours is better anyway there is no point.

What Americans call euro cam is actually a stock KR cam. All 9A engines came with the same cams regardless of continent. Americans had it in their golfs 90-92 and we had it in our corrados 92-95?

Hey also if you can do your research on the four branch manifolds, I am currently designing one and have been doing some research. Your 4-1 will have a benefit on more of a specific rev range, it all depends on the length from the exhaust valve down to where the the 4 pipes meet at the collector and also pipe diameter. These dictate what RPM the exhaust best performs at.

Your 4-2-1 will be better for through out the rev range not just top end.

That way you can get something that you will beneft the most from.

Ok that'll give me some homework to do:geek:

So obviously trying to find a 4 branch manifold for a 16 2.0l Corrado on google isn't the easiest thing to find:scratch: is any other car compatable???

Also a 'flowed head' any recomended companies??

Thanks for your time once again guys:thumbleft:

will get some pics up on a thread Abdul.......possible respay next month;)

Ive got some nice 16v bits and pieces squirreled away got a racepower motorsport flowed and ported head (new), KR cams, Stroeve Motorsport KR induction kit, polished 50mm inlet , rocker, alt cover, gotr some g60 brakes i think too if anyones interested Pm me