4eyes2wheels

Do I need a Dremel ?

Evening all

I will shortly be getting my short shifter and have read that using a Dremel will help me with the cutting. Now, I am not exactly a DIY expert and have managed for many years without a Dremel. My dad who have almost every tool under the sun hasn't got one either. So here's the naive question - do I need a Dremel (other makes are available) or can I get a bit with a cutting disk for my cordless drill? Or is the thing about the Dremel that it is small and has much higher RPM than a drill.

Thanks

you could get away with the disc on a drill.

lift up the gear surround and have a look... you will see the space you have to work with

Small grindingwheel in a drill will do it. Otherwise shame you so far away or u good have borrowed mine.

You can do it with a hack saw blade but quite tedious

Thanks - very kind. I think slow and steady with a hack saw may suit my style better. You can go wrong fast with a powered tool :rolleyes:

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

You might have a bit of trouble getting a hacksaw to fit, or to cut without cutting other things! I used the Dremel method myself, the benefit of which is the disc is small enough to do the sideways cut as well, which makes for a very neat job.

I'll have a look when I get home at lunch and see if you could wedge a hacksaw in there.

you can do it with a hacksaw (or bare hacksaw blade) but it's a PITA as you can't cut sideways (as said) I did do it with a hacksaw but the result wasn't as pretty, ended up bending it with pliers to get the bit of metal out IIRC.

Yeah you should find the Dremel easy to use. Whilst it goes through the metal like butter it is very precise and controllable. Even if you did have a major arm spasm or something you'd likely snap the disc before doing any real damage to the car!

dremel is very useful where there is no space for normal drill.

like anyone needs an excuse to buy tools!! but seriously my dremel with a flexi shaft has had some hammer