DriverVR6

Finally taken some pictures of my VR6

It's a 93 plate VR6 in flash red. It has 78k miles on the clock, and I have owned it for 12 years. I have kept it as original as possible. It has the original factory paintwork and it has never been resprayed. There is no rust/rot anywhere, probably because it never gets used in the rain! I'll put more pictures up when I get the chance.

Edited by DriverVR6

Nice to see another Flash Red one, they do look good when clean and polished - Wish mine had your mileage, it's recently ticked over to 204K miles!!

Ian.

Wow, 204k. Thing is they absorb the miles so well. Engine wise as long as you use quality oil and change it regularly they keep on going and going..

seen this car in the metal, and the pics do it noooooo justice at all, it would not take much at all for it to be a concours winner.

its a credit to you Vinny.

Nice to see another Flash Red one, they do look good when clean and polished - Wish mine had your mileage, it's recently ticked over to 204K miles!!

Ian.

Another Red one - hurray! I've just gone through 80k although I am only respnsible for the last 6k .

KADVR6, thanks mate, glad you liked it. I've picked up a new set of roof trims from the dealer. Don't even ask how much....

4eyes2wheels, to be honest I wanted a mystic blue one, but when this one came up, I went for it. I think red looks good on a Corrado with the contrasting black trim.

I'll put some more pics up in the next few days detailing the work I've done to it and its spec.

I removed the rear reg plate plinth today to check the condition of the bodywork behind it as it can be an area that rusts. Happily it was all clean there. The plinth can be a real pain to remove without breaking it as VW use double sided tape at the bottom. I took my time removing and managed to do it without breaking it. I also modified the plinth by bonding some proper bolts to it, instead of using the plastic ones. I won't be using the double sided sticky tape when I put it back on the car.

Brought a set of calipers recently from Karl. I decided to refurb them so that they will be a good spare set to keep. The new seal kit and bleed nipples that I ordered arrived this morning. The calipers need a second coat of paint once the first coat has dried overnight. VR6 calipers are getting difficult to obtain and the carriers are horrendously expensive from VW.

Jobs for the next few days; (1) Remove front bumper and check the radiator support/panels. (2) Remove rear bumper and check panel. (3) Finish assembling calipers.

The front and rear bumpers have never been taken off, so it'll be interesting to see the condition of the metal work behind them. Hopefully all will be okay. I'll put up photos of what I find.

Looks a nice tidy example, best colour but I am biased! Just a word of wisdom, when refitting the rear bumper make sure you don't crush the sunroof drain pipes otherwise they may make a mess in the car. Just noticed you went for another set of 280's, I would definitely advise going 288 in the future, what a difference it makes!

I've actually been running the same wheels as you for a while, bought them as they were cheap with decent tyres but I actually quite like them! I sprayed mine a very dark silver and I think they really suit the car.

189704_10150134366997048_510937047_6601442_580605_n.jpg

swiftkid, thanks for letting me know about the sunroof drain pipes.

The brakes on the car are original apart from the Goodridge braided hoses. I got new front and rear calipers from VW few years ago as I get them for a good price.

The second hand calipers that I'm refurbing are going to be a spare set.

If I do want to go to 288's, what would I need to change?

No worries, I've had the bumper off on mine a few times in the past month or so and they do get easily trapped!

If you go 288 you will need calipers, carriers, mk3 golf 288mm discs and banjo hoses from a mk3 golf, I picked mine up from a scrapyard and cost me £15 in total. Theres plenty of information on here about doing it if you are unsure but I did it and it does make a massive difference and they look good squeezed behind 15's!

Took the front bumper off today. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was all clean and virtually rust free. As I had the bumper off I waxoyled it anyway.

Edited by DriverVR6

Also finished refurbing the calipers; New piston seals, piston dust seals, bleed nipples, slider seals and bolts. I may sell these now as a mate of mine has some AP four pot calipers that I am trying to persuade him to sell to me.

Also finished refurbing the calipers; New piston seals, piston dust seals, bleed nipples, slider seals and bolts. I may sell these now as a mate of mine has some AP four pot calipers that I am trying to persuade him to sell to me.

haha you did say you like big brakes Vinny, so what wheels you going to fit if you buy the AP's then.

Well Karl, if (& it is a big "if" as the AP's are brand new!) my mate sells them to me then I'll be after some advice about what alloys to fit. I don't mind doing stuff to the car as long it is easily reversible back to OE.

Looking at the pics on your front end slam panel. I didn't know that there are 2 plastic trims at the centre of the slam panel that divert air to either side of the radiator. Mine are missing this trim :)

Edited by VWVW

VWVW, well these trims are important as they direct the airflow through the radiator. Luckily stuff has never been removed off my car so everything is as it left the factory.

I think I may have a spare set of these trims somewhere.

In danger of repeating the others, I'll say it too: Hurray for another (flash)red one. Very very nice one and bog standard. Like it a lot. Personally I also prefer the old style buttons, doorpockets etc. Take care.

small pic of mine to show as much red as possible ;) with 66,405 miles since new. Also original paint (to be resprayed though).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57641[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.