ChrisL

Mountain Bikes

Bugger, that sounds painful!

Theres also tubeless option but I think that more of a weight thing.

I don't run tubeless (yet) but my old man lives ~4 months of the year out in Greece and is always out on the trails. Greece is about 78% rocks, 21% thorns and 1% olive trees! He swears by tubeless as a better method of puncture control.

I've been tubeless for probably about 5 years now. I remember getting 2 punctures in that time. Do it.

Once you go tubeless you won't look back. All you need is some 1" gorilla tape and a kit of stans valves and liquid. To fit it though you do need to go down to garage if you don't have a compressor.

Our bike to work scheme is opening up in the next few weeks and thinking I'd like to get myself a decent bike. It's limited to halfords but I've heard a few other retailers will accept them too. I'm looking for some casual riding but also to got on some light trails around swanage and the south.

So question is I've been looking and like these, sorry there's a few:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_907523_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-analog-26-hardtail-bike-2013/rp-prod111932#

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777775_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_991946_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Or I could go second hand and something like the bokor or hoodoo?

http://www.voodoobikes.co.uk/bikes/mountainbikes/bokor

I can get up to £1k but I'd rather keep it sensible and stick to the £5-600 mark.

Or go crazy but would I notice the difference

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_992040_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

What's your opinions.

From the rave reviews I'm leaning towards the bizango. I know people don't rate sr suntour but I thought the bizango forks should be good. Isn't a more expensive air suntour fork better than the cheapest rockshox fork?

Also I'm not too clued up about the other different makes of things like the brakes and gearing. All brakes are hydraulic on the above.

Any opinions welcome.

Edited by Craig

Anyone on here interested in buying any parts?, thinking of selling my bike in bits as i need money for corrado. I have had the bikes for about 5yrs and done about 30miles on it, just not using it.

Will get some details if anyone is interested.

After my off I could do with a front wheel! Maybe a rear shock.

Bought this a few weeks ago, yeti sb66 carbon, fox 36's, xt, crossmax sx with tubeless high rollers

Pedals really well and gets better the faster you point it down:-)

It might be why I can't afford to take my corrado to the bodyshop though:-(

image_zps66770035.jpg

image_zpseed095e4.jpg

This is my ride a specialized rock hopper pro 2010.. I just use it to ride along the beach in the summer months great bike!

First ride on my new bike on Sunday, a Giant Anthem X1 29er, and the front fork failed :lol: I thought Fox CDT shocks were supposed to be good?

It went straight back to the shop after I finished the trail (front fork in lock out mode, otherwise twigs and leaves bottomed it out), so that's back with Giant to sort.

Bloody good bike for the money otherwise. Really nice geometry and that Maestro rear pivot feels superb. 29" wheels just eat the trails and my mate on his 26er Trek Fuel was lagging way behind :lol:

Not in the same league as Maff's above (look at all that juicy fork travel!!) but I like it :D

IMG_0821_zps07ee0757.jpg~original

Oh and I also got this bonkers bright Exposure Reflex MK2 front light and Exposure Flare rear combo. Superb quality and I like supporting small English companies :thumbleft:

Yes these are expensive but trust me, if you've done night trails and experienced the cheap Chinese torches (that all the bike forums recommend) and seen how shyte they are, you'll appreciate these even more!

IMG_0825_zps8dd390ab.jpg

Yes these are expensive but trust me, if you've done night trails and experienced the cheap Chinese torches (that all the bike forums recommend) and seen how shyte they are, you'll appreciate these even more!

My Chinese lights are the best I've ever owned, FWIW. They're all the same COB LEDs at the end of the day anyway; they're all made in that part of the world. I'm not saying every light that comes from China is great, but they're not all "shyte" as you claim.

Im on the look out after an issue with my frame. Fox had a recall on the front forks but Im assuming as its new they should have been done. Been looking at those Giants as well, not keen on 29's though. The 27.5 wheels seems the best to me now.

First ride on my new bike on Sunday, a Giant Anthem X1 29er, and the front fork failed :lol: I thought Fox CDT shocks were supposed to be good?

It went straight back to the shop after I finished the trail (front fork in lock out mode, otherwise twigs and leaves bottomed it out), so that's back with Giant to sort.

Bloody good bike for the money otherwise. Really nice geometry and that Maestro rear pivot feels superb. 29" wheels just eat the trails and my mate on his 26er Trek Fuel was lagging way behind :lol:

Not in the same league as Maff's above (look at all that juicy fork travel!!) but I like it :D

IMG_0821_zps07ee0757.jpg~original

You can't go wrong with giants, they've made some great bikes. And you've done well going 29er it seems these days that 26" wheels maybe dying:-( well if you believe the hype and marketing but then they have timed 27.5(650b) and 29ers as being faster so maybe the wagon wheelers are here to stay!

It's defiantly more fun whipping a 26" than a 650b/29er for sure though but then 20" is more 'fun' than them all, oh those were the days:-)

Im on the look out after an issue with my frame. Fox had a recall on the front forks but Im assuming as its new they should have been done. Been looking at those Giants as well, not keen on 29's though. The 27.5 wheels seems the best to me now.

Yeah 650b is the most popular wheel size as its a good middle ground between the larger wheel benefits and flickability of a 26", think 27.5/650b all mountain, 29" xc and 26" downhill+fun!

But jared graves came second in the enduro world series riding my bike, last year against all the other 650b boys but even he is now going 27.5 now i think

My Chinese lights are the best I've ever owned, FWIW. They're all the same COB LEDs at the end of the day anyway; they're all made in that part of the world. I'm not saying every light that comes from China is great, but they're not all "shyte" as you claim.

Fair enough.

I had 4 of the cheap chinese torches from Deal Xtreme. This was a few years ago and they had the Seoul P4 LED in them. They were bright for 10 minutes and then got dimmer and dimmer very quickly. They didn't have any kind of power consumption electronics, cheap lenses, cheap & inconsistent construction, rubbish batteries and rubbish chargers. The lights often flickered over bumps, went out with no warning, didn't like water or dirt and the light output / spread considering the lumen count wasn't great. You get what you pay for. If you like yours, I'm pleased for you, but I won't trust cheap lights again after being stuck in a pitch black forest with no front lighting.

You can't go wrong with giants, they've made some great bikes. And you've done well going 29er it seems these days that 26" wheels maybe dying:-( well if you believe the hype and marketing but then they have timed 27.5(650b) and 29ers as being faster so maybe the wagon wheelers are here to stay!

It's defiantly more fun whipping a 26" than a 650b/29er for sure though but then 20" is more 'fun' than them all, oh those were the days:-)

I haven't been "into" bikes for many years and I have no idea where 29ers came from. Those, big bottom headset bearings, hollow cranks, hollow wheels axles, 10 speed cassettes are all innovations that slipped by my radar! So when I was browsing online for a new bike, I saw this odd looking thing with cartoon wheels on it and I just had to try it :D

To be honest, I believe the hype so far. I'm no hardcore downhill racer, but my friend and I are the same height, weight and fitness level and he was defnitely at a speed disadvantage! I read somewhere that a 29er has half a crank turn advantage over a 26er, which definitely showed at the weekend. Not only that, a bigger diameter wheel doesn't drop into holes quite as deeply, so it's smoother to ride and more tractive. I'm sure a pro rider on a 26er would leave me for dead, but I like it :)

It does feel like riding a bus at first though!

I got back on my bike the week before last.

Hadn't been for a ride for 3 years prior to that.

Spent 3 days on my old hardtail before I'd had enough of having to slow down going down hills, so jumped back on my glory after that.

I just about killed myself going up the hills, but it is way more fun on the way back down.

Had two bikes stolen last Saturday night. My Specialized HardRock, and my Dads Vintage Raleigh Volant. Unbelievably, we saw some scumbag riding my Dads when we went driving about looking for them...Chased the bast**d and he dropped the bike and ran...

Mine is still AWOL. God help anybody I see riding it. It's a pretty rare colour scheme with some distinguishing features, so if anybody around Burnley sees it, please do let me know. Posted all over facebook etc already.

SpecializedMountainBike20132.jpg

Bit of an old thread revival but just wanted to show off my nearly new / eBay purchase

Not exactly cheap but a good saving on the new price

A really lovely ride, my 19yr old Marin served me very well but was rather worn out!

This is very light and so much easier to ride

Been riding more and more lately especially with my lads as they are getting bigger.

Any one else like their bikes ?

Several, but this is the best - Ragley Ti. Also a road bike, cross bike, an ageing Santa Cruz Blur 4x and one of them Sonder b+ things...

That Trek looks really nice. I got myself an old Stumpjumper off eBay a few months back. Lots of great biking trails around Sussex.