HummuH

Blackberry Corrado G60 Turbo Race Car

Amazing work, again!

When I fitted my AP's I had to grind down the OEM ball joints...... still fouls slightly on lock but the car is pretty low....

Cheers, that's quite reassuring to know it's not just me.

Geometry drool!

Hehe, cheers. I have no idea how it's going to turn out. Wishbone are now bang on level though so a good starting point.

That looks extremely good , what colours you going for ? If i had more time on my hands id love to come wrap this for you just to have a nosey at it

I'm going for something pretty out there, no idea how it's going to look but going to give it a shot. Details to follow....

Will defo try and get down this year to have a watch. When the season start?

First race is Sunday 5th April, few test sessions before then hopefully.

love it :thumbleft:

Ta!

OMG ive just had to go to the bathroom for some relief!!!!! how i want some of these!!!

Get some!

Ok, long overdue an update.

Car has basically been in body-shop for past two months. I had bought a set of Mk2 Berg Cup arches and was hoping to modify them to fit. Didn't work, two reasons. Firstly, the arches just did not suit the "curvier" Corrado shape and were going to take major work to fit. Secondly, I was going to have to go full custom wide-track or run bonkers width wheels to fill the arches, not an option.

So, sat down with the guys at the body-shop and agreed to go down the route of widening the arches to keep an OEM look and allow us to fit 235 width tyres and 8 inch wheels without upsetting the geometry too much. At the same time I got a few modifications made:

• Sunroof delete (quite a bit of weight in there!).
  • Quick release system for front bumper.
  • GRP Bonnet with added Aerocatches and vents to improve air flow/cooling.
  • Vents added to wings (small attempt to let air out or arches).
  • GRP Tailgate with smoothed panel.
  • Install Carbon Fibre scuttle panel and rain tray.
  • Remove quick jacking points (unnecessary weight).
  • Install new RAM air ducts for brakes.
  • Remove wing mirrors.

So, off she went and the guys got butchering:

IMAG1374_zpsumok8a86.jpg

IMAG1378_zps4v3dijpf.jpg

IMAG1389_zpsftlfg70e.jpg

I have decided to go with a wrap/livery of a certain design, an idea shamelessly pinched from VW Racing. This required a white base to the colour so decided to spray the whole car Frozen White. I wont bore everyone with loads of photos of stuff getting painted but I'm quite pleased with the end result, it's too nice to race now!

IMAG1409_zpsondmpieg.jpg

IMAG1406_zpstzswqwde.jpg

IMAG1403_zpslhr7ru6j.jpg

IMAG1395_zpsxforpd0k.jpg

A few more minor bits and bobs to be done for the first race this weekend but she will be out. Didn't think that would be possible a few weeks ago.

Massive thanks have to go to Scott Watkins, a man who's determination knows no bounds and everyone at AF Noble in Penicuik who have helped me get there. Big thanks to JabbaSport too, built an awesome engine and have to deal with annoying phone calls from me all the time.

:cheers:

This looks amazing! Hats off to you sir, this is going to be an absolute stonker!

oh my word!!! i do love a rado in white & this is is gona make me shuffle off to the bathroom :D lol

Cheers! Away and punish yourself.....:)

This looks amazing! Hats off to you sir, this is going to be an absolute stonker!

:thumbleft:

Cheers! Away and punish yourself.....:)

ha ha oh believe me ive punished myself silly over that :rofl:

Holy crap that looks awesome. This is a great build thread :)

So, first race done in the car after all the winter work.

Testing was on Saturday. Kicked of by setting fire to the steering column gaiter in the first session, handy. Next session spent scrubbing tyres and bedding in brakes properly. Car felt good so we decided not to waste rubber, pack her up for the night and have a first hard run in qualifying the next day.

Unsurprisingly, Knockhill thwarted our plan. Whilst the whole of Scotland basked in 15 degree sunshine, there was thick impenetrable fog over the circuit. It didn't move until lunchtime so qualifying was 3 laps behind the safety car.

Race 1 grid was sorted by a combo of last years Championship standings and race numbers. This meant I started 3rd but meant there was some serious machinery just behind me wearing slicks. Technically, I spent the whole race going backwards.

My brain wasn't up to the standard of the new brakes and whilst lap times weren't far off my PB, data showed I was coasting in braking zones, not clever. Ended up 9th and 2nd in class.

Race 1 Video:

[video=youtube_share;ZP8bvaOE1mg]

Race 2 Video:

[video=youtube_share;XfBiVWUdwVM]

Ended up finishing 1st in Class so a 1st and 2nd for the first weekend out, not too shabby against some decent competition.

Some of you on here will no doubt be interested to hear how all the modifications have affected the car. All in all, I'd say a reasonable step forward. By far and away the biggest improvement is the brakes. Combined with 235 rubber on the front the car was stopping very well. The downside was that I wasn't properly adjusting my braking points so I didn't take advantage of the time that's in them. That will hopefully come with time in the car, some tuition and building confidence in the components.

With the wider track, uprated ball joints, anti bump-steer kit and wider tyres there is definitely more grip at the front end, no question of that. Downside is that torque-steer has noticeably increased but that is very manageable.

The car still has a slight tendency to under-steer so we'll spend the next few outings playing with balance to find what works best for the laptimes.

I was 0.5 sec off my Knockhill PB in it's first outing and others reckoned the track was running 0.5s slower due to track temp. If that's the case, and I can man up and get the best out of the car, a 56.X laptime should be possible, which I would be delighted with. That's the target for the year.

Some photo's from the weekend courtesy of T Works Automotive

11090834_10153236209542813_7631394461130616296_o%201_zpsxlsfub3u.jpg

10857328_10153236215002813_4015373166360418803_o_zpspy9uqlzg.jpg

11141782_10153236228702813_3312264741960742765_o_zpsjqk4103b.jpg

11130342_10153236230742813_4149326362017627888_o_zps76ma7kou.jpg

3_zpscspk9hc9.jpg