VWVW

We are not alone with Retractable rear spoilers

I have noticed that more and more main stream cars with retractable rear spoilers are coming into the car market. e.g the audi a7 and the new mini roadster.

Audi a7 retractable rear spoiler

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Audi-A7-retractable-rear-spoiler-image.jpg

New Mini Roadster

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?id=516418

The Corrado's is more impressive though. A sizable spoiler the width of the car raising a fair height.

The Mini's spoiler just looks like a sanitary towel, to go with the rest of it's feminine character and appearance.

On a vaguely related subject: anyone know how the front grille on the fiesta/focus (can't remmember which) works? that's supposed to close at speed isn't it.

On a vaguely related subject: anyone know how the front grille on the fiesta/focus (can't remmember which) works? that's supposed to close at speed isn't it.

Not sure mate...I think BMW 1 series efficent dynamic has something similar to reduce drag etc...Some corrado grill have all their slats open and some only has one open. We just change them manually one for winter one for summer :)

Heres a vid from bmw showing how it works. Click on the grill picture

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/efficient_dynamics/bc/homepage/?requestSource=F20EDmid

Edited by VWVW

How many bloody Minis are there now. They are a marketing dream for BMW. I feckin hate them!!!

Too many! I hate them too. Bloody things are everywhere as well, polluting my eyes!

I see the VAG quality is still there for retractable spoilers though. I pulled alongside a stationary mk2 TT yesterday and it's spoiler was stuck in the up position :thumbleft:

Didn't even realise the mini had a moving spoiler.

Edited by Portent

original people to do was lancia i believe, top gear said this lol

Lancia Theta if I remember correctly. Possibly something like 8.32 relating to the Ferrari engine it had. A 3 box design saloon that went like sh*t off a shovel, round about 1985.

A lad at work has a Porsche ,with a retractable spoiler, which doesn't work , lol. !!

He's always on at me to fix it for him !

Lancia Theta if I remember correctly. Possibly something like 8.32 relating to the Ferrari engine it had. A 3 box design saloon that went like sh*t off a shovel, round about 1985.

I had to google it but it's the Lancia Thema. Vid here...

[video=youtube_share;zRTd4Gi_3jI]

Quite impressive as it's built into the boot lid.

Edited by Portent

original people to do was lancia i believe, top gear said this lol

And the first to do the 'VR' engine. Obviously a tricky design to get right because Lancia's VR4 was apparently pants and VW's VR6 isn't without it's problems either. But the 24V VR6s are absolutely peaches. But only because Cosworth designed it :D

I remember on one of Clarkson's DVDs he introduced the Thema 8.32 by tipping a wheelbarrow full of rust onto the floor :lol:

Lancia were very innovative. First to superbocharge an engine (Super and turbo chargers) and the 8.32, I believe, was way ahead of the M5, Lotus Carlton, and other super saloons?

Edited by Kevin Bacon

What speeds do the TTs, Boxsters etc spoilers work. As i see them stuck up and various speeds and like above, when stationary?!

My Mk2 TT spoiler comes up at 80mph and drops at 50mph, sure sign you've been speeding! A guy my wife works with has one and is so paranoid a passing copper might know this that on the motorway every time the spoiler pops up he pushes the switch to lower it, even knows that it will work 16 times before you have to turn off the ignition to reset the counter!!!

I took the resistor out of my spoiler controller so that it comes up at 70mph. 56mph is way too low!

I believe it's temperature operated. So remains closed whilst the car is warming up to trap the heat in and then opens up once up to temperature.. the same system that the Porsche 928 has :)

Different leauge but worth a mention :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60805[/ATTACH]

Isnt the Bugatti dual purpose too, downforce and air brake?

Isnt the Bugatti dual purpose too, downforce and air brake?

Yep..

The McLaren F1, Mercedes McLaren SLR and McLaren MP12-4C all have spoilers but I think they're pretty much for braking and stability under braking. The Porsche Carrera GT has one too of course but that's just like a tall picnic table that rises out of the back of it :)

and the Peugeot RCZ has one, and am i alone in thinking its a great looking car??

Get out!

and the Peugeot RCZ has one, and am i alone in thinking its a great looking car??

:D

Yes but apart from the TT, Boxter, Bugatti, McLarens, Porsche GT and RCZ, what have the Romans ever done for us?