emu

Would You Swap VR6 on G60 due to fuel economy ??

Still can't make any decisions. VR6 is not used at all due to using so much fuel and I really would like to use some Corrado as a daily car. G60 is the only engine I never had in Corrado, so why not ?? How are the on fuel ?? I struggle to get 200 miles of full tank on my vr6 because I'm driving on very short distance so 1.1 L and 2 cylinder less might be the solution ?? What do you think ??

G60's are not particularly light on fuel, especially on short journeys. I drive mine like a granny most of the time and get 15-20mpg round town and 30-33mpg on the motorway. Granted mine is somewhat tuned, but even so I think the standard ones are not much better.

I dont think anyone would swap a vr6 for a g60 becouse of fuel economy.

There was a guy on here that sold his corrado tdi and is?was? Planning on doing another one just to sell... I think thats your best option.

I used to own a Corrado G60 as a daily driver, and the MPG was about the same as the VR6 around town.. Would get about 230 miles to a tank

VR6 is probably better I think. Im averaging 26mpg in town in mine and if your only doing short journeys you really need a big stop in MPG to make a noticable difference. Should try running an RS4 as well!!!!

My G60 almost stock, 68mm pulley & chip, does at least 350 miles on a tank of V power (15 gal tank), mostly short journeys with the occasional weekend run & I dont drive slowly. The secret is to keep it up together & make sure the timing is on the sweet spot with a G60.

200 miles to a tank can't be right? 13mpg! Does the water temp never exceed 70 deg? Are you sure your short journeys aren't ones with your foot flat to the floor through the gears? :lol:

200 miles to a tank can't be right? 13mpg! Does the water temp never exceed 70 deg? Are you sure your short journeys aren't ones with your foot flat to the floor through the gears? :lol:

my maf show avereage 11,7 mpg. My work is 2,5 miles away and when I'm getting there temp sensor is barely up a bit. I'm not going over 3k RPM on his journeys.

It's been said before, but the VR6 is awful in warm up, just chucking unmetered amounts of fuel in. If you reset your MFA after 2miles, you'd be amazed at how economical a VR6 can be. It's the warm up that's the killer.

Maybe fit a second hand Kenlowe preheater is you could find one? Will still use fuel (electricity), but maybe not as much as the equivilant petrol fuel useage? Plus your heater will already be warm and wear on the engine significantly reduced.

With the greatest respect, the problems not the car, it's the 2.5 mile journey! Whatever you buy the consumption is going to be cr4p because (as already said) it's in warm up all the time... Not to mention the excesive wear on the engine from all the short trips.

Can't you walk / cycle / get a scooter?

Aside from that a Kenlowe would work but only if you can plug it in while at work, they use a lot of energy though, water (and the big iron block) takes a LOT of heating

Cheers

Simon

Swap for a G60? Hahaha!

Just buy a bike and only use the VR when it's ****ing it down!

2.5mile trip to work and back sounds like a good reason for a cycle or a nice little 125/250cc to me!!

Exactly. There is no way on this earth I would drive a 3 litre car to work that's only 2.5 miles away :D

The big 6s, and the R32 especially, use monumental amounts of cranking fuel to get them started, and the lambda on 12Vs doesn't engage until 70 deg water temp is seen, which over 2.5 miles is unlikely, especially in winter.

I used to do a 1.2 mile commute .. 90% of the time I'd do it on foot/bus/bike, but just for kicks and to make sure the car got used 10% of the time I'd use the VR6. I've seen 9mpg on a winter run over there.. :-\

Now I do a 0.4 mile commute. I never, ever, drive .. !

I used to do a 1.2 mile commute .. 90% of the time I'd do it on foot/bus/bike, but just for kicks and to make sure the car got used 10% of the time I'd use the VR6. I've seen 9mpg on a winter run over there.. :-\

Now I do a 0.4 mile commute. I never, ever, drive .. !

lucky man!! I wish I could stroll to work.

0.4 miles? Thats the bottom of the street isnt it matt. :D

Dr.matt Towers is 0.4 miles long ! lol

Used to get around 325 miles from a 55 litre tank out of my G60 on the 7 mile work run but driving like Miss Daisy I have seen a fuel refill confirmed 45 MPG.

As others have mentioned though, its not the car its the distance..

Dr.Matt Towers is 0.4 miles long ! lol

It's a long walk. I often stop off for a pint on the way .. ;)

Can't you walk / cycle / get a scooter?

Haha, I'm just to lazy :D

For the last 3 weeks in Aberdeen every day been raining so walking, cycling or scooter is not a good idea as you get wet as a dog before you get to my work place.

I can see that no matter I will buy fuel economy will be poor.

Currently using TDI as a daily and getting around 350 miles of a tank which basically is around 32 MPG

Well there is only one solution. I have to stop thinking about swapping VR6 for different car and start using it again.

Keep using the VR but do what i did and get LPG whacked on it! I've got a Golf VR6 OBD2 & I average anywhere from 210-230 miles per tank of LPG (capacity 45 litres) but the best part is LPG is 65.9p a litre so it costs around £30 to fill :dance: So i get the best of both worlds...drive a beast to work & back & costs are pretty cheap in comparison to petrol!

However, if you don't envisage covering around 10000 miles in the car or aren't intending keeping it then the LPG wont pay for itself.

It's definitely worth considering, the VR runs even smoother on LPG! :thumbleft:

LPG is not for me, had it in the past and I'd prefer diesel car rather than putting LPG in.

Started using Corrado again, filled it up, done 100 miles and filled up again. 23 litres, not to bad ;)

That's still only 20mpg.

When I drive my R32 hard, I still get 400 to a tank (27mpg) and that includes a few short journeys. Either your engine is over fuelling badly, or you drive it a lot harder than you say you are.

That's still only 20mpg.

When I drive my R32 hard, I still get 400 to a tank (27mpg) and that includes a few short journeys. Either your engine is over fuelling badly, or you drive it a lot harder than you say you are.

yep, maf says 19,9 average MPG. I don't drive hard, this engine hardly goes over 3k rpm, usual 2-2,5 and gear change but still very short distance.

Any tips how to check if engine is over fuelling or what can cause that ??