monVR6

New Battery solves ABS light problem????

Hi all.

So I know the ABS light staying on is a common problem - and has been with my VR for ages. Usually, it stays on all the time, unless I drive a good distance, turn the ignition off - then back on again - and the light goes out - (have used this technique to get through MOTs !).

Anyway - recently replaced the battery as it kept going flat - and the problem seems to have gone. This seems to be more than coincidence - and hopefully will help others?? By the way - the "fix" hasn't coincided with the recent hot weather as when I put the battery on, we were still in the miserable dampness of a British late Springtime . .

Yeah a bad battery can cause the ABS system to not be able to pressurise - VAGCOM would have thrown a fault about the battery voltage

Hmm - I've had the light problem for some time and previous checks never showed any fault codes related to battery. From memory, an ABS fault was shown and cleared but the light issue quickly returned - no battery fault though.

I suspect it's more likely you had an ABS failure a long time ago that chucked an error code. When you swapped the battery the error codes got lost, so it thinks all is well now. Coincidence.

This is my now 1st thing on my priority list - I am trying anything that can help + don't think my battery is too good.

I know this is a long shot as I am having some other codes coming up with ABS. But I am really loosing it now... had 2 different mechanics look into my issue, and nobody know how to fix my ABS for good. Previously had rear sensor code error, so sensor got replaced ABS was fixed for 3 weeks, then light came back on. Returned to mechanic and it turned out it is not possible to clear codes.

Visited another mechanic (while doing some other bits) and this time it is again the same rear sensor and also supply voltage codes! ehhh... If I could just replace battery and get this fixed I would be properly happy. If not... well at least I will have a brand new battery :) There is always a positive side to everything.

ps. I have same issue as you, in the morning ABS light is always on... but by the time I came back to work - if I restart engine it goes away. Car will stay stationary for few hours and we are back again with light again!

Well a competent garage can check the condition of your battery. If it's bad, replace it... Batteries are incredibly simple. They either output 12v and hold charge .. or they don't. A failing battery may just about manage to output 12v but won't sustain it under load. A garage will have a load tester. In fact a fully charged healthy battery will output 12.6V.

Find a competent garage and ask them to rule it out ..

Also, look for corrosion on the ABS control unit's connector block (it's at the side of the passenger footwell behind a plastic panel). That might be the cause of your voltage errors. (That might also be caused if you disconnect the battery for a *short* while, short enough that the stored error codes aren't wiped.)

Edited by dr_mat

The ABS system in the Corrado is incredibly reliable if maintained and looked after. I doubt a weak battery is causing any kind of significant problem as the system voltage will be up in the 13s with the engine running.

As Mat said, perhaps a historic code got cleared when the power was pulled.

If anyone does need a new battery, I highly recommend battery2u.co.uk Awsome service and the one you want is a 77AH Varta Silver Dynamic. 5 year warranty and it was about £89 all in IIRC. Or you get the same thing with a Bosch sticker on it from Halfords for a lot more :D

As for the sensor errors, they are sensitive. Not to the light or verbal abuse, but to metallic debris building up on them. And also brand compatibility. No pattern parts, stick to genuine sensors. And also they can just operate out of range. I had a persistent front left error, which used to go after removing rust crumbs from it, but it would come back a week later. A new sensor shut it up permanently.

VAG have changed the sensors a little over the years, so they may be more reliable now.

If anyone does need a new battery, I highly recommend battery2u.co.uk Awsome service and the one you want is a 77AH Varta Silver Dynamic. 5 year warranty and it was about £89 all in IIRC. Or you get the same thing with a Bosch sticker on it from Halfords for a lot more :D

Or if you know anyone with a halfords trade card you can get one of their own branded calcium batteries with a 5 year warrantee for about £60 (if you have a payslip/work ID with anything engineering related on it you can get one).

Or you could get a Bosch one in GSF but with a 4 year guarantee for £37 + VAT. :norty:

Or you could steal one for £0 +vat.

Sorry, i've always wanted to say that.............. :cuckoo:

I would echo Kev's comments on the issue of debris. Some 'high performance' brake discs seem to generate more metallic debris. I had the problem of the intermittent ABS light and went down the sensor route, but I believe VAGCOM sensor faults can indeed be down to the apertures within the rotors not being clear. When I changed my front discs and pads last week, there were several flakes of metal stuck in the holes in the front rotors and after giving them a good brush out with a wire brush and then putting on new pads and discs means the problem of the ABS light has seemingly gone. I also checked the resistance of the sensors themselves and they came out at around 1020mOhms on both sides..so I have assumed it was a problem of brake disc debris, especially when the Brembo Max 'high performance' drilled and grooved discs were badly scored unevenly on the inner sides, generating the aforementioned cr*p. Standard brake discs are now on the car.

Although that is a perfectly plausable explanation, i also have had issues (with the ABS light of doom) when the battery was not fully charged, it has been mentioned before about there not being enough charge to pressure the abs pump, and it doesn't reset itself until you switch off then on again (when you've gone for a run in it and the battery is back to health)

At least the OP has two leads to follow, i may add that as i store mine in a garage over winter i do routinely spay the connectors with WD just to help things a bit as the they can be temperamental, that alone has made the ABS light go out a few times.

Just thought i would be sensible for a bit............... :crazyeyes:

Edited by daleyboy

The ABS control unit DOES report errors if the voltage drops too low at any time - but it also gets reset when you start the engine, and by the time the engine is running the alternator should be making up the voltage and you shouldn't continue to see issues. I say shouldn't ..