coolrado

gutted, maybe another corrado going to the big scrapyard in the sky ;'-(

And another today. :(

Sat at traffic lights this morning, and some idiot in a Range Rover decided he doesn't like stopping for lights.

He went into the bloke behind me, who went into me, I went into the bloke in front, and he went into a woman.

Bye bye Corrado, no way its salvagable unfortunately.

20120606_102657.jpg

20120606_102647.jpg

20120606_102640.jpg

20120606_102841.jpg

20120606_102846.jpg

Oh FFS.. what is it with people in stupid big vehicles.

Too much belief in driver protection safety features and too much 'I'm big and will come out OK in any bump' to really give a dam about their driving. I firmly believe that all this super safety advancement in car production has affected the quality of driving. No one seems to give a dam about hitting others as they believe they will come out unscathed.

Well I hope the Range Rover driver gets a HUGE dent in their wallet re insurance costs in years to come.

And, rant over. Very very sorry to hear of this (and Coolrados) though thankful that you are both OK.

Some people shouldn't be allowed on the road !

Unless they have someone walking in front of them waving a red flag !

Genuinely gutted for both of you !

Already given my commiserations to coolrado but now extending that to Sean too. No way that is economically viable :(

Another thing is modern brakes. People now expect to stamp.on them and stop instantly. But having learned in mk1 golfs and mk2 sciroccos I come from an era when stopping took half an hour of preparation so keep my eyes glued forward.

This is getting depressing.

Really sorry to see that, yeah once the sides have creased like that its game over.

Make sure the person you where where shunted into doesnt claim off you, they should be claiming of the guy with the range rover, as should all others involved, a similar thing happened to me in a works van years ago when a merc slammed into the back of me at about 60mph on the M62 when i was queing for an exit, the insurance of the car i was shunted into initially tried to claim off my works insurance and it took a while to convince them to claim off the merc at first they tried to say i should have left more space in front so i shouldnt have been able to be shunted into him, but when i showed them the photographs of the skidmarks and the report from the police which stated i had been shunted forward at least 10ft they eventually went after the merc.

Good luck getting things sorted, and dont take any crap from the insurance company.

what the **** ??? another one, what the hell does range rover have against the corrado ???

gutted for you mate, really bad times for both of you

best of luck guys

That's just rubbish, I always admired your car when we both used to go to more shows.

Makes me even more inclined to run a forward and rear facing camera in the car in incidents just like this.

Been through/still going through this hassle at the moment and i feel your pain :(

I have a bordeaux pearl wing if you want it? I'm sure Jon_vr6 won't mind a drive to north wales :)

Oh man - talk about a horror show! Two potential write offs in the same damn thread!!

And what a coincidence.. both in 4x4's... funny that.

Been through/still going through this hassle at the moment and i feel your pain :(

I have a bordeaux pearl wing if you want it? I'm sure Jon_vr6 won't mind a drive to north wales :)

Is it an early drivers wing you have? If so let me know how much you want and i should be able to sort out collection as my company usually has engineers up your way.

Is it an early drivers wing you have? If so let me know how much you want and i should be able to sort out collection as my company usually has engineers up your way.

Its a Late as far as im aware so no use to you fella....i hope you manage to sort soon mate

Sorry, i forgot it was a late one. Hope you get it sorted soon.

If its any consolation i had a huge dent in the rear quarter panel repaired and painted, wing replaced and painted, bonnet and front end painted for less than £600. Just don't leave it as long as i did and let it depress you every single time you look at it.

Cheers anyway, it looks like its going to be easier to get a pair of late front wings instead of 1 early one, going to get a late bonnet tomorrow night anyway, not that bothered about keeping it 100% original as i don't really intend to ever sell it.

Does anyone know if the rear arches are any different for early and late? just wondering if it would look a bit odd having late front wings and early rears?

Thanks for comments guys. I was the first one to report it, and I got details from everyone involved. There is no way he can avoid liability tbh, we were all stationary at lights. Its a 40 mph road so he was obviously going some. I was smack bang in the middle, and unfortunately my car was by far the worst off! Still awaiting reports from all others involved but fingers crossed it should be relatively straight forward. Need it sorting by COP tomorrow though as it was my daily too. The lumps on 180k now, and it was starting to show its age a bit. Although I have literally in the last 2 weeks spent £200 on service parts on it, taxed it, and I had a full tank of fuel too! :censored: The rear wheels have a bit of toe out too so rear beam is fecked! Seriously had it, and its no way repairable unfortunately. :(

Time to start looking for a nice VR..........:twisted:

Edited by seanl82

My insurance have arranged for someone from a local garage to come and assess it tomorrow at 2:30, so things seem to be progressing quicker than i expected.

As soon as i got it home i covered all the damage in bin bags because i just couldn't bear looking at all the bare metal.

Even my boss has told me i can take any time off i want to get stuff sorted as he has just spent a shed load of cash restoring a mk2 cavalier SRI he had when he was younger so he understands my attachment to my car.

As soon as i got it home i covered all the damage in bin bags because i just couldn't bear looking at all the bare metal.

Don't worry, it won't look half as bad once you get the bent panels off.

Gutted for yours though Sean, as you said, it's probably best to accept it and move on.

Nice boss!

Rear arches stayed the same throughout the Corrados production in terms of width and the diifference between early and late front arches is only around 10mm and very hard to spot.

You can get brand new early arches from VW classic parts and I believe that as they are now listed on the classic parts system and authourised insurance repair now has access to those parts (even if we still can't order them from the main dealers!)

Will fitting late front arches mean i will also need late arch liners?

good to know the rears are the same though.

Will fitting late front arches mean i will also need late arch liners?

good to know the rears are the same though.

No, I put early arch liners under my late wings with no problem !

Great thanks, just need to keep searching for parts now.

Just won an early slam panel on ebay, and luckily its in glasgow where im working all next week.

the assessor has been and taken photos, checked the tyre tread, mileage and VIN number so just need to wait on the inevitable insulting offer from the insurance company, lol

Just had a heart stopping email from the insurance company, to say they have declared it as an uneconomical repair, and that they have arranged for a salvage company to pick up the vehicle!

Phoned them straight away and they have cancelled the collection luckily, so i still just need to wait for an offer from them.

I had the assessor out today too. I was at work though (I did tell them I'd be free from 4pm so to phone me first!), so I don't know what he's said, although I can't see it being anything other than expected. Tbh, if they repaired it, I'd be quite happy as it really needed paint! lol. I got my hire car yesterday too, promised a car of similar type to the C...........................

20120607_164901.jpg

20120607_164910.jpg

How the f**k is a chinese 5 door cheap piece of crap M bloody G thats the same size as a Passat, in any way, shape or form, of similar type to a 3 door Sports Coupe FFS!:mad2:

I so hate modern cars! It has however reaffirmed my love of forced induction. Therefore the plan is to buy another (possibly non runner) Corrado, and convert/bolt on a blower in some way. :dance: Moving to Pompy in 7 weeks though, so I'm gonna have to get a ****ter to run around in as a daily, until we're settle there. The new house should have a nice garage to play in too. :grin:

Update:- the insurance have finally paid out, they gave me £2000 minus the excess and buy back so not too bad considering its done 180k, i picked all the bits up last friday in tornado pink and stripped all the bent bits off yesterday, and apart from the wing and bonnet there is surprisingly little damage, although the lower rad support panel was completely rotten which i was expecting as i bought a spare a few months ago, just need to get it booked in for paint, also using it as an excuse to renew all the bushes, swap the coilovers, fit new exhaust mounts, and fit a slim fan to the oil cooler.

Edited by coolrado

just looking for a windscreen now, problem is they cancelled the insurance as soon as they wrote it off, i cant get it re-insured until its been MOT'd and the screen is cracked so i need to get hold of a second hand screen.

Im still waiting for the cheque! Mine was declared a CAT B write off. Think there is some problem with liability, although a bloke driving into a stationary car shunting us all forward into each other should be open and shut! I only got £1200, I was told to hold out for more, but Im moving in 3 weeks so didnt need the hassle. It is more than twice what I paid for it too!. I bought it back for £34.20 though!!! Sold it to be broken for £175 so made a few quid there as well.