24V Renshaw

VR6 Rubber fuel lines

Does anyone know if the Rubber fuel lines on the side of the VR are moulded to shape from new, or is it just 6mm rubber hose that has set in that shape over time.

I need to replace mine and was just going to buy some 6mm fuel hose...

Jay

I also need to do mine, took a pic of them the other day

Looks a bit tricky getting to the end near the bulkhead.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Cheers Dave, I have not actually checked the size yet, but is it just straight rubber pipe rather than a pre moulded pipe?

Jay

Not sure about that.

They are both pre-shaped as you see them on the side of the engine in the clips. Ordinary straight fuel pipes will look odd as they won't have the right shape. VW spare parts are pre-shaped.

i have used the 7.5mm (iirc) fuel hose from Halfords on mine since about 2005 with no issues at all. I also bought the appropriate hose clamps rather than jubilees to ensure even allround sealing pressure. No kinks or folds so far.

They are both pre-shaped as you see them on the side of the engine in the clips. Ordinary straight fuel pipes will look odd as they won't have the right shape. VW spare parts are pre-shaped.

They won't have the correct stress relief for engine movement either.

I'm about to do this when the replacements arrive - you'll have to remove the air box and the rubber intake boot to get access.

Are you sure you mean fuel lines mate?

Jay

No..... sorry bud, post deleted due to me not reading your post properly. whoops!

There is no question of me replacing them, I am definitely doing that this week, its just whether I spend £100 on OEM ones...

Or £10 on 8mm high pressure certified fuel pipe. (spot the difference)

vr6_fuel_lines010.jpg

vr6_fuel_lines002.jpg

I actually bought £4 abs sensors instead of vw ones that were £55 each.

Am sure the cheaper fuel pipe is up to the job. Id be happy with that.

The first picture is spot on. So long as you keep the 90 degree bends like that, you'll have no issues. I've seen people run straight lengths to rigid lines, which is a big no-no.

You can buy the VAG lines for around €45 each from Germany - shipping is very cheap. Still a lot more than the generic hose though.

Im about to change these on mine.. The lines are on back order from the Factory and are the wrong side of hundred quid for the 2. Fuel lines under the car, 2 out of 3 flexibles are obsolete..

Has anyone used anything else to change these or have any idea where i could get them from??

I ended up doing what jay said and just bought some 8mm ID fuel hose and some new clips.

Went on fine and can't see any problem with it, it just clipped in and the fact it wasn't preformed bends didn't cause any issues.

2012-08-11165109.jpg

Used this stuff

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/8mm-fuel-hose---sytec-competition-injection-rubber-fuel-hose-371-p.asp

If any wants it I could supply braided fuel hose with aero quip type clamps

Would be more than the rubber hose but less than genuine

Just my 2 cents - I went for braided lines ........for a while

DSC_1558.jpg

Was actually a kit made for the Corrado - BUT from time to time I smelt petrol - especially just after "startup", after a bit of testing smaller clamps, and thightening them (I used the same as shown in the picture in the post further up also)......but still smelt petrol - after a while I got someone to look when I started and it was leaking petrol when doing the start, and the petrol drained straight down into the alternator.

After this I went with the OEM hoses and OEM Clamps (Would especially recommend using the OEM Clamps - even if one goes with a normal rubber hose)....

Just glad mine didn't catch fire, as it would be real danger of that pouring fuel into the alternator.......;)

I still not started mine so can still change them. Think I have the original clamps. Can't remember what they looked like though.

Am buying fire extinguishers before I fire it up for first time. Wanted some anyway.

Just my 2 cents - I went for braided lines ........for a while

DSC_1558.jpg

Was actually a kit made for the Corrado - BUT from time to time I smelt petrol - especially just after "startup", after a bit of testing smaller clamps, and thightening them (I used the same as shown in the picture in the post further up also)......but still smelt petrol - after a while I got someone to look when I started and it was leaking petrol when doing the start, and the petrol drained straight down into the alternator.

After this I went with the OEM hoses and OEM Clamps (Would especially recommend using the OEM Clamps - even if one goes with a normal rubber hose)....

Just glad mine didn't catch fire, as it would be real danger of that pouring fuel into the alternator.......;)

Looks excellent Mawrick, especially that support bracket. I would have just replaced the jubilee clips with hose clamps. Jubilees just dont offer even pressure across pipes and tubes which is of course even more critical on fuel lines.

Looks excellent Mawrick, especially that support bracket. I would have just replaced the jubilee clips with hose clamps. Jubilees just dont offer even pressure across pipes and tubes which is of course even more critical on fuel lines.

deff looked good, but after trying hose clamps like the ones in the picture from the post above (not my post), which is supposed to clamp evenly (it's the ones where the screw just screws directly tightening it, without having the threads on the "band" itself but still had problem that they would "untighten" after a little while, and IIRC the OEM ones wouldn't fit onto these.....sad but true :) ).......

Ohh well, personally I'm just better of being safe then sorry.....:) lol

Just thought I'd flag my little "concern" here though......as a tip ;) (although I would think the rubber lines would be just fine - but I would strongly recommend the OEM hose clamps).....it's the "self adjusting" ones):

Didn't find pic of exactly the ones on the fuel line - but same style as these ones:

07.jpg

Cheap from the dealer anyhow :)

All the clips, brackets etc are still available from the dealers as are the hoses... Stand by for parting with around 120 for the lot..