LRWMotorsport

VR6 Which Oil

Old cars do tend to use oils more quickly. It's not so much heat as contaminants, as you say Kev.

You're right, it's not too hard to tell when the oil needs changing just by looking at it, but I'd bet most people have a "change it anyway" attitude, which negates all of the long-life benefits of the £10-a-litre fully synthetics. Anyway, each to their own I guess. The mileages and oil use on my VR don't justify any better oil than the £20 for 5 litre semi synthetics, so that's where I'm staying.

Quantum Gold no longer exists, its now the petrol/diesel synthetic oil made by quantum. Silver is still available though.

I wouldnt use anything other than the quantum fully synthetic personally. Just put 5w-40 in the vr (low mileage refurb engine) and it runs like a dream, so much quieter and smoother.

£28~ plus vat i think.

1 Litre per 4000 for a very good VR6. 1 litre per 1000 for less good one. 1 litre per 500 for shagged bores one.

Average is probably a litre per 1500-2000[/QE]

I fall into the litre every 500 category ,Think I have a gasket issue there is a little oil seeping from the head. 160000 miles and no engine work is not bad.

I've done 4000 in mine and doesnt appear to have used any!!! it has only done 64000 though.

That's certainly not common! Isn't yours a bit of a show queen though? As a rule of thumb, the harder you drive a car, the more oil it uses!

Dont know whether this is relevant but mine seems to be fine using it day to day getting to work and what not, not using much at all, it can go on like that for weeks.

Then when I drive from mine (Lancashire) to my girlfriends (Cambridge way) and it will chew through about 0,5 litres (top of dipstick to bottom) there and back, which is about 400ish miles

Is this just because of the long motorway Journey at 3000-ish RPM? oil temp gets up to about 108, which i didnt think was too high.

/\ Yep. Shorter journeys keep the oil thicker. Sustained mid-high rpm journeys do indeed chew through the oil, as does lots full bore accelerating to the rev limiter. I think it even says in the manual that oil consumption is determined by how the car is driven?

It's the same with my R32. The oil barely moves off the dipstick when commuting, but over a weekend's mapping and blasting, the oil will drop a few mill off max.

Aahh, reading this thread brought me back to the old days when I used to frequent this place all the time.

That will be case soon enough, planning on bringing the old girl out of hibernation and being a happy man again!! I had forgotten all this stuff so it was a good refresh. Will need a really good servicing before I can thrash the living daylights out of it.

The Corrado is booked in next friday at my local VW main dealer for MOT and oil change service. It's £35 for MOT or £119 for MOT and oil change service, I checked what oil they use and it's magnatec which the technician said would be fine for the VR. I can supply my own oil and filter and price drops to £70.

Question is, shall I let the dealers use the magnatec or should I get some quantum synta 10w 40 and take that for them to use?????

Don't shoot me down here folks but I'm sure I have heard that Quantum Silver is made by Castrol and it's properties differ very little from Magnatec.

Perhaps someone can add gravitas/dismiss my comment?

So there's still no real definitive answer? My VR has around 142k and I only do about 4k in a year (work is only 7 miles away) but i have noticed a drop in oil however I cannot see where it is going and I don't think its being burnt. Anyway the previous owner was really hot on servicing so I want to keep that up for the health of the engine. Should i go for 10w-40 part synthetic which is was the opie oil website recommends, also what is the difference between that and their 'upgrade' option, how would the engine benefit from 5w-40 fully synthetic?