pbradley98

Confused pricing!

Hi all,

Just about to move house from street parking to a house with a garage, driveway and street parking so had a quick play with insurance options for my VR6 and was somewhat confused by the results! All three quotes were identical (from Admiral via Confused.com) except for where the car's kept overnight...

Street parking - £292

Driveway - £298 (!!)

Garage - £338 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highly confused by their logic there!

In reality, unfortunately don't think I'll be able to used the garage as due to the age of the house, it was built for when cars were a lot smaller and I'm not convinced will be quite wide enough to be able to get into / out of the car, that is if it'll fit in there in the first place! Plus the hassle of having to move the wife's car off the drive every morning to get it out to go to work may well be too much hassle!

Same with my insurance , I'd like to know why as well

Probably because they are money grabbing tea-leaves.

It'll be something ridiculous such as having a garage is seen to be higher in value home then one without, therefore you must earn more cash, therefore have more to spend, therefore more for them to take......on average.

Was recently looking how much have to pay to insure evo 5 and what I go was

At home on street, high risk postcode - 1370 pounds

3 miles away from home in locked garage and in very low crime post code - 2250 pounds

One thing you musn't do is assume that pricing is based on logic, it's not.

It's based on claim history and a whole bunch of statistics. If there's hardly anyone in your area with garages they probably don't have anyone to use as a reference and will weight against you because from their POV that's an *unknown* risk, whereas there's loads of people parking on the streets and they can easily quantify what their exposure is there.

I keep being tempted to say things like "people with high value cars tend to get garages" and "garages are targeted because the thieves don't know what's in there" and so on, but that's REALLY nothing to do with insurance pricing .. !

Lets just call by name: THEY ARE ALL THIEVES!!!

No matter what kind of driver you are, how much caution you take while driving, how much you care about your car

and how much you look after others. It does not matter! They will rip you off, will take every last penny you have... and seems there is no law that governs it at all!

I hate this system to bits. I did some free calculation with my friend how does this relate to uninsured drivers. It seems if you don't insure you will be still better off anyway by like miles. Even if you get caught... money wise you will still be better of if you do not insure! It's insane. I am not surprised there are so many uninsured drivers around.

At the moment ofcourse I am insured and will always keep it that way... but somewhere deep there, my heart is sinking. They charge me £900 for my daily 16v. I'm 31 yrs old, 12 yrs driving licence, no accidents or convictions ... and I have no choice, I just have to pay. Rant over.

I beg to differ .. one conviction for uninsured driving and you lose your license.. then how much money do you lose by not being able to work for a year? No doubt a lot more than the cost of the insurance.

There are things where you can take it on the chin and not insure (shipping stuff, for example), but if you're uninsured in your car and you get caught, or even if you have an accident, you're in deep shhh.. Unless you leg it of course and the poor ******* you hit doesn't get chance to note down your number ..

And, of course, the REASON the insurance is so high in the first place is because of the number of uninsured drivers, and the number of fraudulent ambulance chaser claims, and just the sheer number of stupidly high value cars on the road. FFS if you hit an M5 in the back bumper it'll cost more than the value of your Corrado to fix..

But you know all this.. :)

Not just thieves but opportunist thieves.

Any excuse to extact more money eg pay extra for paying monthly, pay £25 for changing your address on a single piece of paper etc..

The likes of MARKERSTUDY are also criminal in the way they conduct their business, do feck all and lie about everything else.

We need the likes of Marcellus Wallace to 'get medievil on their ass' :)

All valid points, I agree. If uninsured drivers are main cause of super high insurance costs. Why such low penalties are in place for being uninsured? These should be much harsher... If someone is uninsured and still drives, then don't just take driving licence. Make him pay £10.000 or jail for 2 years and at the same time take away his car and destroy it! No remorse, no excuses! It would fix uninsured drivers problem instantly as there would be none left. So that we, law abiding citizens would enjoy lower insurance costs in first place.

I bet all uninsured drivers in the country are without job already! They don't care if they loose driving licence, as they will carry on driving without it... it is just blind loop!

I just don't get the fact that each year I collect additional NCB on my account, yet still my insurance goes up and up! So why exactly I collect this?

Every time you make a suggestion about a proposed penalty for something, think about it happening to you .. your MOT expires and you're uninsured.. you modify your car and you're driving it back from the garage, you've not told your insurance company .. you're uninsured if you have an accident right then. Plenty of reasons why you *wouldn't* want such extreme measures to be taken.

On the other hand, for repeat offenders or for cars that haven't had insurance on them for ages, throw the bloody book them .. :-D

Hi all,

Just about to move house from street parking to a house with a garage, driveway and street parking so had a quick play with insurance options for my VR6 and was somewhat confused by the results! All three quotes were identical (from Admiral via Confused.com) except for where the car's kept overnight...

Street parking - £292

Driveway - £298 (!!)

Garage - £338 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highly confused by their logic there!

I heard recently that because cars these days have such good security, only way for thieves to steal your car is by getting hold of the keys. Which is why break ins into homes for car keys has increased so much. If your cars on the driveway then they know which house to break in to whereas if its on the street then they won't know which house to break in to hence your car is "safer".

Therefore the price difference in your quotes.

I haven't got a clue how the above explains the price for storing the car in a garage though lol.

It can't be explained, as I said, it's just an empirical statistical result.

It's like you choosing to take a certain route to work because you think the traffic is better that way. That's your explanation, but you can't explain WHY the traffic is lighter that way (it may not even actually BE lighter that way, that's just the way you see it).

Yup. It's all done on statistics. So in your area there have been more (or higher value?) claims for cars in garages than there have been on the drive... which is higher in your area than claims for cars in the street. It's purely a numbers game.

(Or like I say there's actually *less* data to assess - less people with garages, and they always weight against and charge more for things they can't accurately quantify. In essence one claim by one the three people in your area who have a garage would have to be paid for by the combined premiums of those three people for the insurance company to break even on that risk, whereas 20 claims from the group of a hundred people who do NOT have garages is spread amongst a hundred people's premiums - even though the number of claims and pay-out is higher.)

So I've just done the same thing for my wife's car - A4 3.0 TDI Quattro - and it's the same story with Admiral...

Street parking - £308

Driveway - £311

Garage - £367

But because it has no mods, there are far more insurance options and switching to Swiftcover (although I cringe to pay money to them to support their horrific adverts) has a different story:

Street parking - £234

Driveway - £220

Garage - £222

Think that unless Admiral charge me a horrific cancellation charge or they price match, will be switching to Swiftcover in about a months time when I move! Equally Admiral still annoy me in that when they sent the multicar renewal quote it was £150 higher than the quote I'd got the same day as a 'new' customer, so I'm quite looking forward to being able to move (although there's no guarantee that Swiftcover will be any better).

And people wonder why insurance companies are up there with estate agents and bankers.....

If uninsured drivers are main cause of super high insurance costs. Why such low penalties are in place for being uninsured?

Because that is this country all over. Reward the pond life and royally f'ck the decent people over. Backwards. In a bag.

As already mentioned, you could drive 1 mile a year in a £50 Fiat Panda and the Insurance companies will do their level best to get the highest premium possible from you. As also said, insurance companies are an un[properly]regulated law unto themselves, who will call upon the most ridiculous of statistics to weigh the premiums in THEIR favour. Utter, utter, c'nts, the lot of them. In a bag.

I simply do not buy their constant horseschitt excuses about high premiums being a necessity to pay for the pond life's behaviour.

Thankfully, there are no shortage of insurers to choose from, so just shop around to find a premium that's the lesser of the evils.