Goldie

263 Cams and Remap opinions please

I am looking for a variety of opinions into those that have these cams in their VR6s following the group buy and any others who have them from before..

What are the cams like on their own? anyone ran cams and then had a map to follow, much change? how does it affect the petrol consumption? anyone got cams, map and a VSR/schrick?

You get the idea, any opinions or info and any dyno figures would be good...

I ran my VR6 with the cams by themselves for about 6 months before getting a remap done and the difference was immediately obvious. Much more urgency lower down in the rev range and just a much more complete feeling package. You would notice a good improvement with the cams by themselves but the remap gave, at least, the same improvement again as going from standard to having the cams fitted.. if that makes sense?

Can't speak for the dyno - my figures were schitt for some reason! :(

Interesting stuff.. Ive no doubt about what Vince knows..

I suppose its the real differences I'm after, if that makes sense..

I know the dyne figures aren't that relevant but we all want a good score..

I fitted the cams recently & have got a re map booked this wednesday! so will be able to give you some figures then.As for petrol consumption i havnt noticed a big difference .Was 201bhp about 2yrs ago so hoping for 215-220.Hope im not dissapointed.Also fitted a BMC CDA as recommended by Vince.Gives a great noise!

I do like the noise from the BMC but ill be keeping a standard air box.

If anything i might be map first then cams although i will try and get the cams in shortly after.. Loads of time, just interested in opinions..

Did you see my comments on the latest group buy thread?

With a Schrick VSR and 263 cams I gained ~7-10 lbft across the entire rev range by having another map done. (The car was previously mapped for the Shrick VSR only.)

I do like the noise from the BMC but ill be keeping a standard air box.

If anything i might be map first then cams although i will try and get the cams in shortly after.. Loads of time, just interested in opinions..

Would you not want a map to suit the cams?

Loads of info on the original 263 threads including Schrick, Mapped, Unmapped, FI........ I got a very healthy improvement in power & torque - the curves were the same profile with increased figures. I had cams & map at same time.

The map I'm getting is to suit the cams.. I just wanted to know if it was needed that the car would run well until a time i get the cams in..

The car runs absolutely fine with just the cams in.. but you just get extra benefit when you follow it up with a map :)

The map I'm getting is to suit the cams.. I just wanted to know if it was needed that the car would run well until a time i get the cams in..

Had mine mapped by Dave of d&g fame, it was mapped to run with cams but also fine without the cams.. Ran mine without cams and on super unleaded and made a noticeable difference.

Not talking turbo power...lol... but smoother and more drivable.

It is a Dave special that I'm getting..Im certainly not expecting it to go wild i just want it to be as good as possible with non visual upgrades..

hi all, not to hijack, but I recently made a similar thread on vwvortex.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5814814-will-this-combo-work-vr6

all they said was that I should get 268 cams.

I just want a little more power, do the 268 change the characteristics of the engine alot ?

what about the exhaust gases check when doing a MOT?

thanks

Hendrik

There's more to cams than just the duration number. As you can already tell, there's not a big difference in duration between 263 and 268. Valve lift, overlap, lobe centre and duration @ what lift all play an important role.

I've had Schrick 268s in the past and I can tell you that Schimmel's 263 profile take nothing away from the bottom end torque, where as the Schricks do. The Schricks also give a lumpy idle when the motor is really hot. The 263s don't. The 263s simply fatten up the whole rev range, like a mirror image of the original dyno plot, only more of everything, which is exactly what a good cam should do.

I revved my VRT round to 7500rpm with the 263s no problem, so 268s won't gain you anything up there either.

Similarly, extensive testing was done on the Vortex for 24V cams. 264 vs 268 vs 272. The 268s gave the best overall results, so more cam duration doesn't always equal more power.

It's your choice at the end of the day, but well over 60 sets of 263s were sold on here over 2 group buys that I ran and everyone (that I know of) was happy. I didn't get commission and have no particular allegiance to Schimmel. I just know a good product when I see one and pass on the recommendations.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Putting the cams in without a remap will get you home, and will net you a small performance gain, but it won't be the full picture and the engine will be forced to adapt all the time. Ironically it'll probably run better on part throttle than on full throttle because at least it will go closed loop and use the lambda to control fuelling. I don't think OBD1 does at full throttle, so the map has to be right.

Can't fault the 263s and a re-map. I had both done at the same time (at Stealth) and was really pleased with the results. These were the charts

Went from 192.4bhp to 220.8 on the day. I do have a BMC as well - that's a great mod too but mpg did seem to drop a lot after fitting it - suspect that' was more to do with me gunning it all the time though ;)