Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Front engine mount gone! Nice egg in bonnet! Now fixed :-)

Bo*ll*ocks! :-(

As I was driving home from work this morning (worked nights last night) roads nice and quiet, took the twisty route home, ipod on, sun shining - beautiful drive - big smile on my face...

Then - got about 1/2 mile from home, set off from a set of lights, and as I dipped the clutch to go into 2nd - THUNK - thought, "Hmmm didn't see that pothole", then a few seconds later as I dipped the clutch to change into 3rd, - THUNK - thought "Something's not right here...." - got that Corrado-sinking-stomach feeling :-( :cry: ...

Got out the car to be greeted with nice dint on bonnet and immediatly sussed what the wallet emptying thunking noises were - front engine mount has given up the ghost and the engine's pinged the bonnet from inside (only 6 months old that bonnet too :shock: ) ARSE!

Bonnet doesn't look too bad TBH, but is it repairable?

:( Not meaning to sound morbid - but have you got a pic of the mount? Sorry to hear about the damage dude, especially in such perfect corrado driving conditions. Damn corrados... ...but how can we stay angry at them? :)

:( Not meaning to sound morbid - but have you got a pic of the mount?

Mount looks OK from peering down on it with the bonnet up - can't bring myself to investigate any further just yet :cry:

Sorry to hear about the damage dude, especially in such perfect corrado driving conditions. Damn corrados... ...but how can we stay angry at them? :)

My wife & mum just don't get it - everytime something breaks on the Corrado they're like "Sell it! Old Car!" but you're right - a good blast in a C when everything's right and you soon forget all the bad times :-)

Hit it back down smooth it paint it ......

I like the sound of that - sounds several hundred quid cheaper than a new bonnet :-)

And the perfect excuse to go vibra-technics too :-)

She's got to go back to the bodyshop anyway - the new bumper they fitted & painted last Oct doesn't seem to want to keep any paint on it :?

That'll be the bunny... :(

Another one to look out for. Especially with Schrick on the way (more twisty stuff to be dealt with)...

Looks like the bolt has sheared - probably the mount has compressed over time with the result that the head of the bolt was taking a beating everytime you used the loud pedal. Judging by the rust round 3/4 of the bolt hole, it had been "hanging by a thread" for some time.

A standard VR6 front mount will have had it by the time the car has done ~30k miles. The effect of age will not have helped. If you don't know the history of the mount on your car, change it.

I love the way the foam sound-proofing on the bonnet, which may have just reduced the damage a bit, stops right just short of where the engine hits! :roll:

Anyone know rough prices of OE mount versus Vibra-Technics?

well for a mk3 golf VR which is IIRC the same part about £50-£60+vat,,,,,,,,,VT's come in at about £130-ish inc Vat but depends where u get them from :wink:

Just had a quick phone round:- OE £55, VT £139.50

£139! I don't remember them being that pricey.....

Well there's a dilema..... pay £139 and get a good mount that will hold the engine better and *might* let go one day. Or pay £55 for a completely shite mount that *will* let go again one day.

The OE mounts are completely inadequate for the job, especially when you supercharge it or stick a Schrick on!

Well there's a dilema..... pay £139 and get a good mount that will hold the engine better and *might* let go one day. Or pay £55 for a completely shite mount that *will* let go again one day.

The OE mounts are completely inadequate for the job, especially when you supercharge it or stick a Schrick on!

As Mike said, 30k miles and they've had it plus the fact there far too soft!

If all of you can wait till after inters we are currently finishing and testing a completely new engine mount for all corrados. VR's, 16V's, G60s the lot. Will give more details as I get them.

Best thing is its Stainless Steel. Yep. Polish it and you will have no rust! :)

Jay.

New one in! Had to go OE for the time being... just not enough pennies for VT :cry:

The shot of the old mount shows some weird distortion on the metal top plate.

All for the sake of an 88p bolt! :shock:

headgasket looks a bit leaky. Think you need to dirty the tensioner a bit for that uniform look.

Would be easier than cleaning the rest to match the tensioner!

UPDATE:- Just got the car back last week from the bodyshop again (managed to get them to accept that they should have checked/replaced the fr. mount last Sep. after my front end smash - got them to go 50/50 with me on the bonnet repair as they cheked with VW who told them that the mounts go regularly anyway) and the bonnet egg has now gone! The car had to go back in as the front bumper was peeling and there was some silcone contamination around the door handles - bad prepping on their part on both counts :-(

But now at least the front end and doors are nice and smooth and shiny again... :-)