hellokarl69

True heated windscreen!

Hi guys, just throwing this one out there to see if anyone is interested in a group buy on custom manufactured Corrado heated front screens? I'm not sure if anybody has been there with this upgrade before but i've been in touch with the manufacturer after hearing rave reviews from other forums. The initial quote is £205 + VAT per screen, with a minimum order of 10. If i don't get much feedback off here i'll be buying all 10 myself, keeping 2 (1 as a spare) and selling the rest with a markup for the hassle.

I've always considered the demisting capabilities of the 'Rado to be near to non-existent, so having a fully heated front screen would put a smile on my face each cold misty morning.

If anyone is up for a bit of an upgrade in that department, drop me a line and i'll move forward with the order sooner rather than later due to my project heading for full steam ahead ;-)

I'd be interested mate, only snag is that i live in N.Ireland.

Any idea what the cost of shipping would be?

I'll ask about the individual shipping cost if the feedback climbs enough to warrant it buddy. Looking good so far. Definitely the way forward imo.

Cool! So Ford's patent has expired then? ;)

I'm scratching my head at this one to be honest! Totally over my head but sounds amusing. Please clarify???

Ah OK. Ford took out a patent and copyright stopping people copying their heated windscreen idea. I read somewhere last year that it was due to expire soon, so expect lots of other cars to have heated screens from now on :D

i bought aftermarket heated windscreens for my land rover 101, they are just flat squares of glass no, no curves.

1. I'm slightly short sighted so the zig-zaggy lines of heated ford screens bug me

2. would a pattern screen actually fit?, because a leaking screen is going to be far worse than a slighly below par heater blower

3. what else would I do with my stylish leather covered sponge wipe (apart from the obvious recommendations!)

apart from that it sounds like a grerat idea :)

I enquired about screens for MK4 Golf / Bora around 12 months ago and was told no plans to make them.

CGTi tried a group buy several years ago and failed.

Is the price a fitted price? Would they supply and fit if not?

I enquired about screens for MK4 Golf / Bora around 12 months ago and was told no plans to make them.

CGTi tried a group buy several years ago and failed.

Is the price a fitted price? Would they supply and fit if not?

Price is supply only. Why did a group buy fail? They use an original as a template as far as i can tell and from the previous reiews on their products from another forum the feedback is excellent. Packaged to perfection prior to shipping. As i said earlier, i'm going to get two for myself either way. Just thought i'd announce it here in case there's enough interested parties for the manufacturer to drop the price a little.

---------- Post added at 3:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:23 PM ----------

Ah OK. Ford took out a patent and copyright stopping people copying their heated windscreen idea. I read somewhere last year that it was due to expire soon, so expect lots of other cars to have heated screens from now on :D

DOH! sorry. I never knew that. So everyone who makes heated screens has to pay Ford? Either way, these guys already supply aftermarket heated screens for cars that never had them fitted as a factory option. Excellent niche if you ask me, which is why i'm gung ho to take him up on the idea. Nothing beats having all mod con's eh!

I'll ask about the individual shipping cost if the feedback climbs enough to warrant it buddy. Looking good so far. Definitely the way forward imo.

Thats good mate.

Where did you here of them?

I wouldn't like to buy blind, have you a link where i can read reviews or comments about the actual fitted product?

These have been available aftermarket for some time, I don't think Ford are bothered, so long as the mainstream companies leave it alone.

Thats good mate.

Where did you here of them?

I wouldn't like to buy blind, have you a link where i can read reviews or comments about the actual fitted product?

The actual manufacturer is based in Tamwotrh , Staffordshire. Not too far from me really but i found out about them on one of the other VAG forums. Their site is http://www.heatedwindscreen.com and as you can see they already cater for some decent "oldies" already. The prices they charge on their site seem to be a little cheaper per unit to what i've been quoted but you have to take into account the new set-up costs for a new project. That's why the price may come down a little if the group buy goes well.

How easy are they to wire up ?

I believe you get full instructions with the screens. Just a couple of wires to your chosen switch! Happy days!!

Never seen a heated front screen before so don't know what they are like. Do they have the lines like the rears do or are they less obvious?

New MINIs [and i would guess BMW's] have had heated screens as a factory fit option for a few years now so i would guess somethings happened on the patent front..

they have lines, but very very thin ones!

I have this facility on my Jaguar; it takes a bit of getting used to as you have to focus beyond the very fine wires implanted in the glass. But once you have got used to it, the advantage would be worthwhile on misty damp days, especially if you haven't got aircon.

It clears the inside of the screen very quickly and deals with frost as well. It will draw quite a lot of current, probably at the same time as lights, blower and rear screen demister, so at least a 90A alternator would be advisable, but you would only need it switched on for fairly short periods.

Best wishes

RB

I would be interested so long as the wires are as fine as the ones found on newer cars-it's the only thing that I miss about my old focus.

I'm going to take a drive over to the manufacturer and look at the thickness of the heated filaments! It's a good question and one that needs to be addressed before i can answer it. Watch this space and i should be able to update in the next couple of days.

I could be convinced, sounds like a good idea!

I've done a transplant on my rear-windscreen switch so it has a second working switch besides it instead of the blank (anyone know what goes in the gap?)...was going to use it for fan speed override but a heated screen would be a nice alternative :)

Stone