sheffield-corrado-owner

Power steering gone

Took car into the garage to have cam belt done (glad I got it changed as it was fooked!) but now the power steering doesn't work. It was fine before (well it was ok unless I accelerated heavily in 2nd or 3rd then it would cut out - weird).

They said they think it's the pump but could it be they've done something to it to make it not work? I know they had to take the P/S belt off to change the timing belt. He said the P/S belt is as tight as it can go. I want to be sure it's the pump before I fork out for a new one!

Model is 2.0 16v.

Thanks

Have you checked just how tight the PAS belt is - if you pop the bonnet and press on it, how much slack is there (if any?).

i got a complete set up off a mk3 vr6 and i am local to you:thumbleft:

would the pump fit my 2.0 16v? i think it's just the pump is dead. taking it back to garage will report back with proper diagnosis. if you could sell me the pump for cheaper than ebay i would be very very appreciative!

I took it to the garage and he said they hit the pump with a hammer while someone turned the wheel, now it's working again. So happy I don't have to buy a new pump - for now at least.

Must have missed that Bentley technical update !

The harder your engine is working the harder your pump spins as its belt runs to the engine, the bearings inside the pump may be past it. The best way to tell if you take the belt of and rotate the pump by hand, if its grinding as you rotate it then you have your answer.

By the sounds off it I would get a new pump then take the belt off, sounds like it needs replaced.