seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Thanks chaps, always nice to hear chufties, even if you've not seen it in the flesh! Its honestly not that good!

Don't get me wrong, its gone from being an absolute stinker and what most would consider fit for the scrappy when I got it, to just being a bit rough now!

Still a long way to go, and Tom, the painting on the bonnet is honestly pretty rubbish up close mate. The O/S wing still needs sorting, but I don't have enough paint left to attempt that yet, as I'd rather do the whole wing now after the experience with the rest of it. I'll do that another time though.

Thanks chaps, always nice to hear chufties, even if you've not seen it in the flesh! Its honestly not that good!

Don't get me wrong, its gone from being an absolute stinker and what most would consider fit for the scrappy when I got it, to just being a bit rough now!

Still a long way to go, and Tom, the painting on the bonnet is honestly pretty rubbish up close mate. The O/S wing still needs sorting, but I don't have enough paint left to attempt that yet, as I'd rather do the whole wing now after the experience with the rest of it. I'll do that another time though.

​So what your saying is its gone from being a 50 footer to a 10 footer? lol :)

:thumbleft: Keep it up pal alot of people would have well and truly given up by now :salute: respect ( You can park next to me at national day no prob's)

Its been a productive yet utterly frustrating day! I've been trying to detail the car all week, but due to the great weather I've only really been able to snatch a few hours here and there. Its simply too hot for me to stay out all day, and the bodywork is getting too hot to polish the car effectively with the machine. I decided I'd do the light service I'd planned today as well as I couldn't do much this afternoon, so did plugs, oil, filters, changed the sump gasket and cleaned the pickup etc. Unfortunately this is where I became a little unstuck!

I found out that actually I don't have a crank seal/lower chain cover leak after all! It is infact the sump is not securing properly, as the three bolts just inside the bellhousing (as well as two others) have obviously been cross threaded in the past and the threads are shagged!. I've ordered some helicoils to fix it, but thats just the beginning of the problems! The sump is proper battered!

Note to all; DONT RUN DI(KHEAD LOWS!, as this is what happens!

20130708_104519_zps563d5c77.jpg

20130708_104509_zps306a65c0.jpg

20130708_104335_zpsf97e37bc.jpg

This is the state of my sump. Its been welded in the past right by the plug. It was a PROPER bodge job, as the weld was sitting proud of where the actual plug sits flush with the washer. This was causing a slight leak, but the fact that a random bolt had been fudged in to try and make it tight, didn't help matters. The sump thread for the plug had also been chewed up, so wasn't sitting tight enough. All of the above culminated in this.......

20130708_102536_zps92c69997.jpg

Yes, thats a crack in my pickup!.

I don't have the funds to replace everything until the 15th, and as I'm uber busy with work next week, I've had to just fudge it myself until then and hope I can make it to National Day and back before commencing work to rectify all this. I'll put a wanted ad up for sump, and pickup as soon as my rental income clears. I've had to put a nut on the other side of the sump plug to ensure a tight seal, and prey is doesn't work itself loose with vibration over the next 400 or so miles to and from Castle Combe.

Anyway, the only thing that went well today was the serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing. I started hearing a bit of wining on startup only for about 20 seconds last week. Its progressively got worse the more miles I put on the car, and by putting my hand on the tensioner, I could feel the vibration.

I ordered a new bearing Monday and it arrived today so fitted that thanks to the guide in the wiki.

Took less than an hour, and most of that was trying to cut around the old bearing to get it out! Very easy and cheap fix!

20130711_163055_zpsef7259ea.jpg

20130711_162004_zps1cca18cf.jpg

20130711_154611_zpsaf264a0d.jpg

As you can see, I smoked lots of tabs today to calm myself after such a debacle with the whole thing!

No pics of the detailing, as you can't really see much difference between before unless you catch the light properly, and I was only really doing it to blend my sprayed up parts a little better! Just need to LSP and dress now though.

New sump gasket and oil (again), will be ordered soon and a good used sump and pickup will be sought next week. It's obviously been knackered for a while, so a few more miles won't do any more damage hopefully. :shrug:

Thats a proper knackered sump and that pickup! :shrug: t makes you wonder sometimes what people are thinking when they do things but there you go :bonk:. If you do fancy running dickhead low (pmsl) then an r32 sump may be the way to go there Sean. no where near as strong though. I'll be putting a standard vr sump on mine at some point as well a s a sump gaurd.

wish i had your drive my friend, the last thing i've wanted to do is work on the rado in this weather.

Christ , state of that ! . Never been a fan of the touching the weeds look . Great to see your progressing on and on with her Sean .

Oh Sean I for one certainly hope you can make it to national day you deserve it after all the hard work you have put in you are an example for new corrado owner's to aspire to not starting with a great base but you will not give up :salute:

Thats beginning to be a problem though Tom, this drive and enthusiasm is beginning to wear a bit thin with sorting out previous owners **** ups and bodge jobs!

Rob, I'm not a fan of fag packet lows either mate. Don't get me wrong, a subtle drop works wonders, and I've seen some that are VERY low and they look amazing. I just don't want to drive like miss daisy attempting to avoid all the potholes that will very likely catch you out in the end! The previous owner told me he raised it 25mm before putting it up for sale. I've since raised it another 20mm as I was clenching my arse cheeks every time I went over a speed bump or came upon a pothole! I need to go up another 5-10mm on the back still though, as It looks like I've got a boot full of bricks! :lol:

I am beginning to see progress though. Once this is sorted out, I'll begin to get the interior sorted then I'll be quite happy with it tbh. It'll still be a little rough around the edges, but I'll be reasonably happy with it all the same!

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Cheers James! I will make it to National Day, even if it has to be on the back of a flat bed! lol

Like I said mate, I'm not far off having a reasonable car now so once the interior is done, I'll get the Solitudes refirbed and booted up, then start looking at the exterior being done properly. I can get the odd upgrade on the way too (Shortshifter, Vibratech Mounts, brake upgrades etc). I'm gonna strip the beams and subframes etc down over winter to get sorted too. I may as well strip the underseal off and re-do that whilst I'm at it. All this is relatively low cost so I'm happy to do things like that and not putting many miles on it over winter. Once the bodywork is done, I'll get myself a nice set of rims to use in the summer. That is the entire plan for this car anyway! No doubt things will change along the way, and unforseen problems will occur, but thats whats in my head! If I manage to get all that done in a reasonable timeframe, hell!, I may even look at either doubling the amount of valves I have, or another lump with about 300cc extra displacement! :bonk:

Edited by seanl82

Amended!

My apologies, I'm terrible with names! You'll always be Clumpy to me! :camp:

Edited by seanl82

:lol: Quality. No worries Sebastian :rolleyes:

Edited by clumpy1

Its been a productive yet utterly frustrating day! I've been trying to detail the car all week, but due to the great weather I've only really been able to snatch a few hours here and there. Its simply too hot for me to stay out all day, and the bodywork is getting too hot to polish the car effectively with the machine. I decided I'd do the light service I'd planned today as well as I couldn't do much this afternoon, so did plugs, oil, filters, changed the sump gasket and cleaned the pickup etc. Unfortunately this is where I became a little unstuck!

I found out that actually I don't have a crank seal/lower chain cover leak after all! It is infact the sump is not securing properly, as the three bolts just inside the bellhousing (as well as two others) have obviously been cross threaded in the past and the threads are shagged!. I've ordered some helicoils to fix it, but thats just the beginning of the problems! The sump is proper battered!

Note to all; DONT RUN DI(KHEAD LOWS!, as this is what happens!

20130708_104519_zps563d5c77.jpg

20130708_104509_zps306a65c0.jpg

20130708_104335_zpsf97e37bc.jpg

This is the state of my sump. Its been welded in the past right by the plug. It was a PROPER bodge job, as the weld was sitting proud of where the actual plug sits flush with the washer. This was causing a slight leak, but the fact that a random bolt had been fudged in to try and make it tight, didn't help matters. The sump thread for the plug had also been chewed up, so wasn't sitting tight enough. All of the above culminated in this.......

20130708_102536_zps92c69997.jpg

Yes, thats a crack in my pickup!.

I don't have the funds to replace everything until the 15th, and as I'm uber busy with work next week, I've had to just fudge it myself until then and hope I can make it to National Day and back before commencing work to rectify all this. I'll put a wanted ad up for sump, and pickup as soon as my rental income clears. I've had to put a nut on the other side of the sump plug to ensure a tight seal, and prey is doesn't work itself loose with vibration over the next 400 or so miles to and from Castle Combe.

Anyway, the only thing that went well today was the serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing. I started hearing a bit of wining on startup only for about 20 seconds last week. Its progressively got worse the more miles I put on the car, and by putting my hand on the tensioner, I could feel the vibration.

I ordered a new bearing Monday and it arrived today so fitted that thanks to the guide in the wiki.

Took less than an hour, and most of that was trying to cut around the old bearing to get it out! Very easy and cheap fix!

20130711_163055_zpsef7259ea.jpg

20130711_162004_zps1cca18cf.jpg

20130711_154611_zpsaf264a0d.jpg

As you can see, I smoked lots of tabs today to calm myself after such a debacle with the whole thing!

No pics of the detailing, as you can't really see much difference between before unless you catch the light properly, and I was only really doing it to blend my sprayed up parts a little better! Just need to LSP and dress now though.

New sump gasket and oil (again), will be ordered soon and a good used sump and pickup will be sought next week. It's obviously been knackered for a while, so a few more miles won't do any more damage hopefully. :shrug:

Ebay searching suggests VR6 / 4mo / R32 / V5s all have the same pump / pick up? If anyone can confirm this and Sean can make use of a 20V V5 AQN pump I'm sure I have one somewhere................

I know the 4mo and r32 pumps are different. The R32 sump is shallower than the others and has a shorter pickup as a result. The pickup is only available from vag with the pump.

Dox, thank you very much for the offer mate. I think its as Sean_Jaymo has said and too shallow though unfortunately. I've had a look online for the part numbers on your pickup and they all suggest what its come from, but the VR6 pump complete is a different part number, and I can't find any evidence of the pickup being available separately at all unfortunately. They are different part numbers on Vagcat too. On the pics again yours looks a little too shallow. There is a triangular casting just below and to the left of the part number on yours, and on all the pics I've seen for the VR its more rectangular apart from the first angle.

I'll have to get a new pump if all else fails, so I'll give it a week before putting it out again.

Thanks again for the offer though mate, very much appreciated! :thumbleft:

Edited by seanl82

Great work Sean. You are coping with the result of many bodge jobs really well. Give me a shout if you plan on getting your wheels done in the near future as I am planning a trip to BJV to get my Fabia wheels done over the summer leave period.

Cheers Martin! The wheels are still sat in the car club. I've rubbed down and primer'd three of them, but the other has some dodgy lacquer that seems to be more like varnish! Its all cracked, but when I try to rub it down it just goes really soft and clumps up. I've coated it in Nitromors about three times, but its barely touched it. I just have a green wheel now! This ones gonna need acid dipping I think. What/where is is BJV then? not heard of them.........

Thats quite a way away! Although for people to travel that far, its obviously a testament to their work! Price is VERY good as well tbf, and your right for what I'd pay for materials etc, a proper job by the pros isn't a million miles away.

I'll look into it again in a few months, but once the oil pump etc are sorted, I'm gonna concentrate on the interior over the leave period. Can you recommend any re-trimmers locally(ish) that could re-trim my bolster, steering wheel, and gear gaitor?

I'll look into wheels again nearer to Xmas, and I'll have a gander at your VRS to confirm to myself its worth travelling for! :thumbleft:

Thats quite a way away! Although for people to travel that far, its obviously a testament to their work! Price is VERY good as well tbf, and your right for what I'd pay for materials etc, a proper job by the pros isn't a million miles away.

I'll look into it again in a few months, but once the oil pump etc are sorted, I'm gonna concentrate on the interior over the leave period. Can you recommend any re-trimmers locally(ish) that could re-trim my bolster, steering wheel, and gear gaitor?

I'll look into wheels again nearer to Xmas, and I'll have a gander at your VRS to confirm to myself its worth travelling for! :thumbleft:

Not too sure about trimmers in the area, especially one good enough to trim a steering wheel. No worries about the wheels the drive is worth it and it works out cheaper than using local companies even taking fuel costs into account. There are some pics of their work on my thread. http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=37518&page=4&highlight=Vr6+south+history

Edited by VR6 South

They do look extremely good mate! I remember when I first met you and you told me about your Corrado and your user name. I spent ages looking for a build thread, no wonder! Two and a half years since last updated!!!!:nono:

Are you going to National day, or any other events in it in the near future?

Small update as I'm languishing down on page 3! A couple of small bits done.

Didn't really like the badgeless grille, and I'd picked up a standard one for nothing a while back but the taps were all broken. I had to buy a new badge, and fabricate some clips with the help of an SMA formula milk tin, a glue gun, and some amalgamating tape. Fits well and much happier with the front end now.

Before

20130427_143946_zps5fc8b2b5.jpg

After

20130802_153333_zps375e3b29.jpg

I fitted the new sump, but unfortunately I couldn't sort the stripped threads out so need to go back to it. I couldn't get the taps up near the bellhousing properly, and lying under the car on the drive was proving a bit difficult. I'll have to do it on the ramps at work another time. At least I can now change the oil without dropping the whole sump again!

New sump painted up in Hammered Black.

20130806_125549_zpsb3631db4.jpg

New Steering wheel arrived from dan95x. Top bloke and another interior bit sorted.

Old vs New

20130806_145710_zps3b343ea6.jpg

Decided with the way I want to go with the car atm, I'd take off the side strips.

I wasn't sure whether I'd want to keep it as original as possible, but when it gets painted next year they need to come off anyway, and they are still in good nick so very easily put back on with a bit of double sided foam tape.

20130807_124029_zpsb3a64f8b.jpg

Yes that is my 5 year old daughters Tinkerbell hairdryer and an old Gala bingo card!!!

Finito............well, one side anyway!

20130807_140030_zpsa9cca249.jpg

I've got blisters on my thumbs so I'm leaving the weather to do its best and soften the other side!

Finally, decided I didn't want a polished inlet manifold anymore as I couldn't be bothered to actually polish it! It hadn't been polished up all that well anyway, and there were a few pitted areas where it needed to be cut back a little more. A tin of Hammered silver and I'm really happy with it!

Scuffed a bit putting it back on though on the dipstick guide tube. :censored:

20130808_085544_zps63e307bb.jpg

20130808_085552_zpsa6d923c1.jpg

I've bought some 288's now so next month will be an expensive one. I'm after some BBS LM reps, (can't afford genuine), I'll get the braided lines and bolts to fit the brakes, new front discs and pads, and I'm gonna get the interior finished by getting the bolster retrimmed, and get the furniture clinic kit to re-colour the lot. I'm hoping to have everything done bar respray in the next few months, then it gives me time to save for respray.

I'm off to Plymouth later today for a week, then up to Northumberland for a few days afterward so won't be able to tinker for a couple of weeks. :puppydogeyes: