seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Your missus, my missus. It bothers me not, they all sound the same when whining!

Is this going to turn into a full engine rebuild with rods and pistons and maybe a spacer head gasket while you're in there? Bit rude not to if it's in pieces!

Your missus, my missus. It bothers me not, they all sound the same when whining!

Is this going to turn into a full engine rebuild with rods and pistons and maybe a spacer head gasket while you're in there? Bit rude not to if it's in pieces!

In for a penny

Your right mate. I've just been thinking I may as well do piston rings actually! I'll see if there is any scoring on the cylinders first and whether it needs honing. Wouldn't lowering compression with a spacer gasket have a negative affect on performance on an NA engine? I'm not gonna go forced induction though. For some unknown reason, I really don't want to go too far away from how VW intended with this car. I realise I could probably get a full R32 setup or a good used Supercharger kit for what this is all going to cost me in the end, but I'm just not quite sure its the right thing to do.........

Oh, my Furniture Clinic kit turned up yesterday too! Minty fresh interior on the way! :cool: I can't wait to do a comparison between how it was when I bought the car, and how it will be once done! :smug:

Bad news mate but tbh I don't think the HG has gone, yes there is a leak somewhere but but the pics it looks that maybe it's leaking higher up and tracking along the head/block interface.

BTW, how have you mounted it on the stand??

Rog.

It does look like that looking back on the pic actually Rog, and the rocker gasket was leaking when I got it, but I think I may well as well change it as preventative maintenance as its on 143k so no doubt it'll need changing in the not too distant future anyway. I mounted it using the rear mount bracket bolt holes mate. I need to reign it in a bit tbh, I'm even wondering if its worth doing bearings and shells now! This will end up turning into a mammoth rebuild if I'm not careful.

But you will have a hugely sound engine that shouldn't ever bother you again in the life of the car. Say for the odd sensor. That's got to be worth it alone and a big selling point for er indoors!

I was trying to subtly suggest that you turbo it before, I wouldn't blame you in the slightest for wanting to keep it stock through. It's going to be a cracker once it is finished!

Well today is paypay, I'm therefore a millionaire for one day only so the shopping will continue tonight! :norty:

I think a turbo may be pushing my pay packet a bit too far though Sean! As I said before, I want to keep this one relatively standard. Call me daft, but it appeals to me for some reason that I'd have taken a wreck of a car and made it into a very respectable one. Dont get me wrong, I'd love to buy a C that already had a turbo install, but I couldn't justify that amount of spending myself on something that didnt really need doing just for power alone. It would be pointless bunging a turbo on unless what you already have is in tip top condition anyway.

Edited by seanl82

Personally, if it ain't broke don't fix it...lol, do a comp test to see if the HG is good and if it's all ok clean it up, fix the rocker leak and chuck it back in.

Rog.

Did a compression test a few months back and all was well within tolerance mate. I replaced the rocker gasket about 10 months ago too (just after I got the car) as it was leaking then. I know what you're saying mate, but its got pretty tappy over the last three or four months, and a little smoky on start up (I realise its been winter and shows more but it has got worse). Just seems daft not to do as much as possible without getting carried away whilst its out. I'm picking up a 2.8 on the 15th hopefully so I'll chuck that in for the time being, and rebuild this one over the next few months.

Just ordered Vibratechnics mounts all round. Competition front, and fast road right rear and GB. Should have come to £320 odd plus delivery but C&R enterprises sold them to me for £300 delivered with forum discount which was nice. Should be here middle of next week. Booked a little Pug Bipper van to collect the replacement lump from somersetdub next weekend too. :o

Ah replacement lump, good idea. You going to strip the old one slow time then? I've got a few things from c and r and have always been impressed.

I think I may just chuck this one back in for now actually Sean. I'll then do the head on the replacement and swap them over in situ later this year. Its only got 80k aparently, but stem seals, guides and lapping the vaves back in wont hurt and wont cost too much with a little skim either. My chains and tensioners are spot on so apart from the possibility of a little bit of chemical metal to the block, there shouldnt be any surprises. I'll then refurb the original head and sell the lot on I think. Only reason I'm not putting the new block in is because its a 2.8. I know its not much displacement, but I'm just a little of an OE freek in that respect!

idd say majority of that oil leak looks like its coming from the upper timing chain cover also crank seals leaking, good job though keep it up , its worth doing it right and then never doing it again.. p.s when removing the engine its much less hassle to leave the downpipe connected to the engine, just undo the 3 bolts from downpipe to cat and take it easy when rolling the motor out ;)

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Thanks Rob, I really can't wait for this stage to be complete. I feel like I will have a respectable car for the first time since buying it. There are quite a few more things I want to do, but I'll feel like I'm just improving things at that stage rather than remedying problems. It's the interior I'm most excited about. I'll put the pics up of it up side by side from when I first got the car as a before and after. It was diabolical then!

Vwowner - I should have know that really, it what I've always done before but I saw ChrisL's and jumped on the bandwagon a bit. No great dramas though, it's only a couple of studs. I think your right about the chain covers too. I always suspected them, and when I first got the car, the visible bolts were very loose. I've got some of the dirko melting gasket sealant so it'll be done properly this time round!

Edited by seanl82

I was gonna get them from TPS Sean. I've got quite a large list of nuts, bolts, gaskets and seals etc and have most of the part numbers, so I'll be heading down there in the next couple of weeks mate.

No pictures at the moment, grabbing a quick hour during lunch doesn't lend itself to taking the time to photograph before and afters unfortunately. I've given the GB and good scrub which means I can now see metal through the oil and grease! I'll give it another good scrub tomorrow though then it should be ready for painting. Took off the slave cylinder when cleaning the box, and the seals have gone so that's another item on the needed list. :rolleyes: I'll change the release bearing too as there's no mention of it when the clutch was replaced previously. I've cleaned up the PAS pump, starter motor, alternator, pulleys, and oil filter housing, and all have been painted up now. Just the little (read big) order from TPS, a few bits for powdercoating, and a lick of paint on the GB and block, then its ready for reassembly. I've decided to replace the head later this year after refurbishing the replacement I'm collecting Saturday slow time. Helps to spread the cost! lol

I popped into my local dealer and got a few bits myself mate and one of the things were the exhaust studs. Came in at 91p each but they were for the 24v headers. I'm sure they are the same though as the 12v ones so I thought I would give you a heads up to costs. Nuts were 31p each too...

That sounds very reasonable actually, I have no idea how much my list is gonna cost me, as I said its just nuts bolts and gaskets and a couple of other little bits. I'd imagine around the £150 mark, but I'm sweating on them adding it all up, and it coming to double that! Thats a good sign though, cheers Sean. :thumbleft:

Mine came to about £180 with gaskets, bolts, water pump, washers, aux belt, tensioner, filter etc. Didn't replace the chains or tensioners though.

should look pretty good under there when your done Sean! The bills certainly rack up, I've just been and picked up 12 injector 'o' rings (£56) sump bolts (£26) plus a load of other clips, nuts and bolts all totalling £145!! this is on top of the £225 bill for subframe bits a couple of weeks ago!

We must love these cars!

I've got some spare ones Sean, send me your address and I'll bung em in the post. I've only got a few though so not a full set unfortunately.