holeinmk1

Whats better? vr6 vs g60

Hi, I have decided to sell my 16v corrado in favour of a 'big' corrado. I can't decide which would be better for me, vr6 or g60. I have a mk3 vr6 as my daily and I have to admit I love the vr, but its no corrado lol. everyone goes on about the vr corrado being the better one and on paper its easy to see why. The g60 just seems that bit more leftfield, an irregular choice, plus I do like the sound of a charger and it was the original big corrado and there pretty rare birds these days. but then again the vr sounds awesome at full chat. I know theres more to it than what I've put above. both have appeal in there own ways, and before anyone mentions fuel economy, it really isn't an issue as it will a dry weather/weekend toy only! :) any input would be good. thanks.

Do you like ~200bhp or do you prefer spending money trying to get there only to find it's blown up two weeks later?

First person to say that the VR is poor handling and/or nose heavy will be banned.

the VR is poor handling and/or nose heavy

You said it first, but i'd second it. :lol:

Actually, i just dislike the VR as it's a bit boring.. I'm not quite that old yet.

Do you like ~200bhp or do you prefer spending money trying to get there only to find it's blown up two weeks later.

I know the vr's are good engines, but surely the g60 is too? it is basically an 8v which lasts forever anyway. the vr can't have been that bad handling or it would have got panned for it back in the day?

First person to say that the VR is poor handling and/or nose heavy will be banned.

:D

Well, from your post it sounds like you're leaning towards the G60, but I'm not convinced that it being a bit leftfield is a good enough reason to pick that variant. Surely Corrados are leftfield anyway?

Perhaps you should go for a G60 since you already have a VR, but if you did that then I think the big question is would you look at them both on the drive and wish you could swap the engines over? Just a thought... :wink:

well there both pretty awesome sounding. what I meant by leftfield was remaining numbers, theres a lot of vr's left and not a lot of g60's. I won't lie, I am slightly leaning towards the g60, but there is that niggle that what would a vr corrado be like? plus everyone used to ask when I was out and about in the corrado 'is it a vr6?' which does make you want one more. guess its just waiting for the 'right' car, which ever one that may be.

Best thing to do mate is test drive both and see which one you like better

Agreed - test drive both and find what you like.

Then buy a VR6 ;)

The VR does not really have a hot hatch character, it's a mile muncher at heart, comfy one too. Wind it up though and it's rapid and effortless. There's only one 'big' Corrado for me.

UK = VR country, D =G60 country :)

Testdrive both, then buy both :lol:

Actually, if you want performance, then the VR is blatantly missing 2 cylinders :) V8 rules.

Tempest

Even with the supercharger whine you'll not beat the noise of a BMC CDA+decat VR6 in my mind. The VR6 is a strong engine once it's been given some TLC, you want to be enjoying it not fretting about when the supercharger's going to self-destruct!

Then again, I'm hardly the poster-boy for VR6 reliability :lol:

Stone

I had the same dilemma in which to buy. Although you already own a VR, I am also using mine as a weekend toy. The fact has already been mentioned and its the reason I chose the VR, is that to obtain similar power you need to tune a G60 to within an inch of its life. This itself can cause reliability issues, and with the smaller pulley causing the charger to spin at stupid high RPM, rebuilds every two minutes at around £500 a pop put a big downer on it for me. Standard healthy VR and your laughing mate.

Even better, VR6 plus a few cheap and tasteful modifications and you're off into 220 bhp / 220 lbft territory, and it's rock solid reliable. Only have to worry about the timing chains, the oval bores, oil pump drive shaft, blah blah blah .. ;)

I had a ~200bhp g60 and it was punchy, aggressive to drive and more a racer, it felt lively all over the rev range and i did love the sound and for a few hundred £ on a chip pulley, decat and ported charger you've got an ever so lighter car possibly ever so slightly faster than a standard VR.

When I first got my vr6 it felt slow until you got it to 4k rpm, then it wakes up and becomes lively but needs to driven hard to get the best out of it, as said its a cruiser under 4k rpm. But with a decat the sound is awesome and better than a g60 IMO. Also a vr6 is is quicker to 60mph due to its longer gearing and hitting 60 in 2nd, the g60 needs 3rd gear to hit 60mph.

What's your long term plans? a g60 is easy to get to 200bhp and relatively cheap bang for buck, after that you need to spend a lot to achieve a little. Keeping the g60 charger I'd say ~240/250bhp is your limit and that will cost a fair bit and require serious engine work, you'll achieve more if you dump the g lader for a turbo

To get about 220 out of a vr you'll need some cams, exhaust and remap and possibly a schrick inlet and none of that is cheap, circa £2k!

I've charged my VR and its in a different league and the only way a g60 will be similar is if it was on a 16v engine, sticking a charger or turbo on a vr6 is definitely worth it and will always make you smile!

As said drive both and see what suits your driving style first, fast aggressive g60 or more subtle laid back VR. Both will be about the same once the g60 has been lightly tuned :) and rebuild costs for the glader are about every 30/40k miles pending pulley size. I had a 68mm on mine.

Hope that helps a little :)

Edited by Craig

the vr6 proves its worthiness as a reliable engine everyday, mine(i'm ashamed to say) is well overdue a service, starts first time everytime and has chased down a r32 and a corsa vxr in the last 2 days lol(I was happier about the r32 ) so in terms of big cheesy grin out of the box vr6 wins. but theres always going to be that niggle. I think ill just have to test both at some point. I wouldn't go down the 20vt route, personally not a big fan and find old school engines far more entertaining(and better sounding). In short I guess it still comes down to the right car, a perfect g60 might crop up at a decent price round the corner, equally you've all kind of scared me off getting one now lol(don't fancy £500 charger rebuilds every so often ). other considerations for me are I want a leather interior, this is rare on a g60, but fairly common with the vr. anyway thanks for advice chaps and chapesses. im gonna get me some corrado huntin' :)

Think this thread was answered by to many VR owners. Lol

The G60 charger isn't going to go pop every time you turn the key, it's how you drive it that makes it goes pop.

If its a well looked after G60, and you let it all warm up correctly. It will be fine.

If you do go looking for a G60, try and find a standard. Not one with extra gauges and wot nots fitted, unless of course that's what your after.

I always let my engines warm up, if the opportunity comes along to test drive a g60 then i'll take it(the test drive, not necessarily the car ha ha). i guess its just waiting to see what comes up for sale over the next couple of months(and hoping mine sells ha ha ). standard is good, but i will probably modify, nothing serious just the usual suspects, exhaust, suspension, brakes, intake etc. cheers.

I have a vr6 but if I were buying again I think I would seriously consider the g60 instead. That may be partly due to having "done" the vr6 thing but mainly due to the rarity of the g60. Speed really isn't a deciding factor for me now. They are all old, slower cars, compared to modern family hatches now anyway. But rarity can't be underestimated.