holeinmk1

Whats better? vr6 vs g60

We had better even it up a little then from a G60 owner.....I've had my G60 for 10 years this month and the only problem i have had of note is a burst water pipe (perishable obviously) Brilliant car, very fast,very reliable,massive raw power fun ! as with any car keep if it's well maintained and looked after it should look after you. Nearly all problems can be rectified by this brilliant forum. that my chip in.

ive owned both and feel ive been as unbiased as possible, i have nothing to gain :) Having had both i prefer the vr, just for the sound of a vr with bmc and future tuning potential does it for me, and also slightly more modern interior but that can always be changed in a g60.

A g60 might be more economical in the long run but limited tuning wise if thats your thing for big bhp? my g60 was great and never had any major trouble, i had the charger rebuilt and ported and a smaller pulley and it was superb, i only had general niggles like the ignition switch, spoiler mech etc, engine was spot on :)

Either way both are great cars that will make you smile, You already have a vr6 golf so know what a vr is like to live with, the 2.9 isnt really any different.

in fact as you have a vr golf, buy a g60 and then you ll have both! g60 will be a fun pocket rocket and feel light and nimble for the weekends, then your golf is there for relaxed driving and doing the long trips :)

Edited by Craig

dont get hung up on the power figures!

There is more to the G60 160hp than meets the eye, the g60 has very different gear ratios and the in gear acceleration times of standard cars isn't very different at all... the 0-60 on a G60 is let down because G60s 2nd gear gets to 54mph so an extra gear change is needed.

G60 - 30-50 3rd gear = 4.2s

VR6 - 30-50 3rd gear = 4.0s

G60 - 50-70 4th gear = 6.1s

Vr6 - 50-70 4th gear = 6.4s

The real ace up the VR6s sleeve is the 30-70 time of 5.7sec as it can be done in fewer gears but this time is PROPER quick even relative to todays fast cars

Other things to consider are the maintenance bills, people have already mentioned G60 chargers, well the truth is they are reliable if the maintenance is kept up. Far too many people have killed their charges by not replacing the charger belts and oil feed pipe, this is not the chargers fault!!! There are examples that have done considerably over 100k, some nearing 200k without rebuilds. Then at £400 for a rebuild once every 5-10 years depending on your mileage - what is the issue?

The VR6 has it's expenses to, worn piston rings or oval bores - a 2.9 bottom end will set you back as much as a G60 charger build. Cam chains and tensioners, well thats £400 and most people end up doing the clutch at the same time so rarely do have change from £800 if you are paying a garage to do the work.

Both engines respond well to tuning, a £200 Chip and pulley set up on a G60 brings the power up to 190ish hp (standard VR) but the G60 still weighs 1115kg, vs vr6 1240 kg (sourced from carfolio...) A Vr6 can be mapped and improved with a good filter/exhaust set up which can break the 200hp mark. Beyond that a VR6 gets a bit more expensive , headwork and cams are (double the cost of g60 8v items) the next step to start heading toward 220+. Likewise a G60 cam and headwork , injectors, 65mm pulley can see them beyond 220hp.

In terms of handling the G60 feels more nimble and does behave differently to a VR6 when turning in but the wider track of the vr6 makes it feel more planted at higher speeds or sweeping corners.

Other things to note though are that G60s tend to be older than Vr6 as there are far more early pre 91 spec G60s around. The early spec parts can be a lot harder to get hold of, things like wings, headlights especially where as by having a vr6 there are far more late models around which makes parts finding a bit easier. Also note that some interior parts are different to and some people prefer the later spec round heater controls and more rounded buttons than the early items which do look an feel older in comparision.

Best thing to do is drive both and if you are lucky drive a couple of examples of each, it would be unfair to compare a ropey VR to a healthy G60.

The real ace up the VR6s sleeve is the 30-70 time of 5.7sec as it can be done in fewer gears but this time is PROPER quick even relative to todays fast cars

Very true, in the top trumps stakes the vr6 does really well! sierra cosworth 30-70 5.7secs e46 m3 4.9, fiat coupe turbo 20v 5.2, my own corrado vr6, timed at 5.2 and my old classic impreza running 300bhp 4.9

I find you have to drive the living daylights out of the vr6 to get it to go anywhere though!

But a good drivers car has never been all about outright power but about how the car feels on the road, and gotta say i've never really hankered after a g60 but.... went to buy some corrado bits from a fellow member the other day and he had a nugget yellow g60 with 60,000 miles on the clock and that to me was a more desirable ownership propasition than a vr6, it was very special, in the same way i can't get a phase 1 clio willaims out of my head!

Ok I want a nugget g60 now lol.

But a serious question: where can you get a GLader rebuilt nowadays?

Nuggets are clearly the best ;-)

JMR , OCD - only charged dubs will do rebuilds and Jabbasport sell the full kit required if you fancy DIYing it.

One thing that people have missed, unless I missed it myself, is that with the G60 you can swap to the CTN code gearbox which will make a stage 4 G60 do 65 in 2nd gear with ease.

You can pick up a good working CTN box for anywhere between 150 to 300 quid depending if you're willing to wait or not and the best bit.... Cruising in my 200bhp stage 4 g60 at 75 MPH in 5th gear with the CTN box... 42 MPG...

Get that out of a VR6!

Both cars have their pros and cons. I have done the VR route with the Mk4 golf so I wanted something forced induction at which point I picked the G60 up over another VR powered car.

You can spend easily between 2-3K getting a lot higher performance out of both engines but the way you spend that money with the G60 differs form the VR as you will move to a 2L 16v G60 which is easily 280 out of the box and is a lazy engine. I.e. a lot more room for power if you decided to remove the Glader and fit either a turbo or rotrex charge it.

I think from a fast road drivers point of view the G60 is the better choice with the various upgrades you can do as you can get the best of both worlds with power and economy when driven sensibly for very similar money.

As said in previous posts though if you do choose the G60 then try to find an unmolested car with a charger service in its fairly recent history. If you do buy one, even with a charger that has some paperwork proving its worthyness, I would still remove it and have it professionally inspected and even refurbished by one of the aforementioned companies just for extra peace of mind.

Just my two pence :)

Troy.

some interesting opinions again, and some very well researched ones to! I have a lot to think about now, I want something that can be enjoyed and as much as I do enjoy fixing cars myself, I don't want something that requires being spannered every weekend. so engine will be limited to filter and exhaust. plus I have to take into account what my wife wants, she's paying half(and wants a vr6)! ha ha.

Hi Tom, I just saw the ad you posted of H711 YYU. You have no idea how sad it makes me to see it like it is after all the toil I put into it! If I wasn't still working on the mk2 & Quattro (slowly!), I'd buy it back right now. Instead of buying another 'rado, please just stick a g60 in her. I love that engine, & having owned both, I definitely prefer it to the vr6. I had it connected to a 4+E 020 box in my mk2 Jetta, & the ratios were great so bolt yours up to a mk3 tdi box. And yes, I am attempting to guilt-trip you into sticking with her. Out of all the cars I've owned, that is the only one I have sorely missed from the moment you drove off in her. Here's some more guilt-trip motivation to remind you how great it was when we parted company:

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

Anyway, I hope you're well buddy, & congrats on the new munchkin on the way :-)

Ben

p.s. what happened to the gear stick gaiter?! Was mint when it left me!

JMR , OCD, Jabba, self ........

---------- Post added at 4:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:12 PM ----------

I'd have a VR if I was mainly doing motorway miles, however I love the grin factor so much in my 8vG60 and I don't do that many motorway miles so its a G for me everytime in fact so much so I have a 16v version planned for my Mk1 Golf

I'd have a VR if I was mainly doing motorway miles, however I love the grin factor so much in my 8vG60 and I don't do that many motorway miles so its a G for me everytime in fact so much so I have a 16v version planned for my Mk1 Golf

If something happened to my Corrado VR6 and I was in the market again; buying another Corrado. It'd be another G60. It's just a much more raw and direct, fun, faster, better turn in and more responsive car all around - more of a red light racer. Easier and cheaper to tune too. And that sound. :luvlove:

But then again, If I had a G60 I'd probably want a VR6. It's more refined, reliable and juts more grown up, it's easier to drive, it has that VR6 presence no other Corrado has (every other question I received as a G60 owner was, is it a VR?), the cabin is just a nicer place to be. I think the Corrado VR6 is one of VW's last old school cars; It's modern in a sense, but still has that old car, direct drivers feel; the best of both worlds. And that sound. :luvlove:

Edited by P3rks

VR6 for comfort, engine noise and cruising ability. Yes the handling will be different/better for a lighter G60 (or 16v or very rare 8v) but we are talking about tiny differences. And lets face it, most people can't tell the difference between a good handing car and a badly handling one anyway. I love my 16v as a general everyday agile car, but it doesn't bring a smile to my face or feel as special as a VR6.

As for reliability, if you correctly look after a VW engine then they will be reliable.

Edited by DriverVR6

Hi Tom, I just saw the ad you posted of H711 YYU. You have no idea how sad it makes me to see it like it is after all the toil I put into it! If I wasn't still working on the mk2 & Quattro (slowly!), I'd buy it back right now. Instead of buying another 'rado, please just stick a g60 in her. I love that engine, & having owned both, I definitely prefer it to the vr6. I had it connected to a 4+E 020 box in my mk2 Jetta, & the ratios were great so bolt yours up to a mk3 tdi box. And yes, I am attempting to guilt-trip you into sticking with her. Out of all the cars I've owned, that is the only one I have sorely missed from the moment you drove off in her. Here's some more guilt-trip motivation to remind you how great it was when we parted company:

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

Anyway, I hope you're well buddy, & congrats on the new munchkin on the way :-)

Ben

p.s. what happened to the gear stick gaiter?! Was mint when it left me!

Ben, its long gone. sold it about 2 years ago after the engine died. it was fun while it lasted. tom.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

VR6 for comfort, engine noise and cruising ability. Yes the handling will be different/better for a lighter G60 (or 16v or very rare 8v) but we are talking about tiny differences. And lets face it, most people can't tell the difference between a good handing car and a badly handling one anyway. I love my 16v as a general everyday agile car, but it doesn't bring a smile to my face or feel as special as a VR6.

As for reliability, if you correctly look after a VW engine then they will be reliable.

yeah i'm kind of settled on a vr now. would take a very standard low mileage or very special g60 to change my mind now. I want something which is still gonna have me smiling in a couple of years and when I give the golf the boot it does just that, it can only be better in a corrado surely? plus I want something that is a bit grown up but still fun to drive. just waiting for the right one to come along now.

Ben, its long gone. sold it about 2 years ago after the engine died.

Any ideas what's happened to it since? I did a search for posts on your username, & didn't notice the date on your for sale advert.

My best mate had a Corrado VR6 for a long time, & I spent a lot of time fixing the damn thing. It had a magnex exhaust, 6-2-1 stainless exhaust manifold, & modified airbox. Went really well, & definitely felt a little faster than my mk3 vr6. I would still go the G60 route instead of VR6 personally. Preferably one with a BBM charger or turbo conversion, as the G-Lader wasn't very well designed.

Any ideas what's happened to it since? I did a search for posts on your username, & didn't notice the date on your for sale advert.

My best mate had a Corrado VR6 for a long time, & I spent a lot of time fixing the damn thing. It had a magnex exhaust, 6-2-1 stainless exhaust manifold, & modified airbox. Went really well, & definitely felt a little faster than my mk3 vr6. I would still go the G60 route instead of VR6 personally. Preferably one with a BBM charger or turbo conversion, as the G-Lader wasn't very well designed.

it went to good home, the guy who bought sounded like he knew what he was doing lol. 20v turbo conversion as I remember. I want one fairly standard to be honest, if i'm going to modify I want to be the one to do it. really want a green storm, just need to find a good one. I do, and always will like the sound of a g60, however maybe its something that I will come back to one day. for the time being want a vr. took mine for a quick blast out today and thought how awesome would this be with a vr? lol

I have both and I agree with what everyone else has said vr6 for the noise and g60 for everything else! Although my nugget g60 is now for sale as my vr needs some TLC :-(

Well CYD has gone, sold today to a young lad from South Yorkshire. T'was rather sad seeing her being driven away. Its gone to a good home though and my sadness didn't last as i'm picking this up next weekend :cool: (sorry for the small pic)