Jim Bowen

VAGCOM help?

Think i need vagcom, done loads of searching the forum and i think i have the OBD2 style connector under my gear gaiter.

The full rosstech kit is £260 and i can't really afford that at the moment, plus i doubt i'll use it very often.

Are the ebay ones ok? Do i just buy an OBD2 cable and then download the software. I've read that usb ports on pc can cause some issues.

And i'm not even sure my laptop has a serial port, is some old looking port on there, and looks like a pic of a monitor above it? It has 3 rows of five holes.

Failing that is anyone near to CM6 2LX with vagcom that wouldn't mind doing some scanning?

The eBay vagcom cables will work fine with obd1 and they just use a usb port. Just download the vagcom lite software. You won't have full access and it won't tell you what some of the codes are but you can easily Google the code it gives you.

think I might get one of those, they're so cheap, I have access to a fully supported snapon diagnostics computer but this would be very handy to have at home, just for checking sensors etc (egr valve just gummed up again on the golf)

anyone know how useful the shareware version is? I see from the Ross-Tech site that it can only access the first 25 measuring blocks, is that really limiting? would you be able to read temperature data, lambda or diagnose which abs sensor has failed with VCDS-Lite?

think I might get one of those, they're so cheap, I have access to a fully supported snapon diagnostics computer but this would be very handy to have at home, just for checking sensors etc (egr valve just gummed up again on the golf)

anyone know how useful the shareware version is? I see from the Ross-Tech site that it can only access the first 25 measuring blocks, is that really limiting? would you be able to read temperature data, lambda or diagnose which abs sensor has failed with VCDS-Lite?

I have it and can read temp, lambda and ABS sensors. Infact I've got a front left sensor that is bad told by VCDS Lite.

I have it and can read temp, lambda and ABS sensors. Infact I've got a front left sensor that is bad told by VCDS Lite.

great, thanks for that reply dave, think I'll go and get one of those leads then :)

got ebay cheap ones and they wasn't any good, one even wasn't working with vag-com at all.

Since bought ros-tech cable I will NEVER EVER swap it with something else. It saves me heeps of money

I bit the bullet also and forked out for the fully dongled Ross Tech cable which in turn gives full VCDS functionality. With the amount of electronic gubbins and gadgets on my A6 daily it's been one of the best value tools I've purchased.

Mark

the Ebay ones are fine, if you look around there's some that are a bit more expensive that will work with newer versions of VAGCom. the issue people have with usb is they dont know how to configure the driver for the USB port which in some instances needs the baud rate slowing down. You may need this driver

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/InstallGuides.htm

if you need any help give me a shout.

the cable i got from ebay has worked perfectly when doing the 24v conversion, you can read the coolant temp also lists the fault codes but you have to write some of the codes down and then google the code to reveal what the code means , as alot of them are hidden , see here 3 faults and 2 of them are hidden {shareware version to decode all DTC'S , but just google the coded number,

DSCF0156.jpg

I bit the bullet also and forked out for the fully dongled Ross Tech cable which in turn gives full VCDS functionality. With the amount of electronic gubbins and gadgets on my A6 daily it's been one of the best value tools I've purchased.

+1

All manner of VAGs scanned and you can do some nifty stuff with it on the later cars :)

Watching with interest as I want to get a cable for my late (presumably OBD2) 'rado. Did you go for the link from the second post?