markTTC

Lupo GTi front wiper conversion - See Page 23!!! for update

Didn't get round to it in the end - so thanks very much for the info!

I'll go out to the car in a bit, armed with a tape measure, and check :)

And yeah, been kinda tied up.... :crazyeyes:

Are they 19" like the Corrado ones?

My standard wipers are perfect after attacking the arm stops with a dremel. I basically ground 5mm off each of the alloy 'posts' that the arm rests on, meaning the arms sit lower than VW intended, therefore pressing the screen harder.

How this one escaped quality control is beyond me as it's a vital part of the car!

You can't tell it's been done externally and so far I've had good results. I might still try the Lupo mod as it looks cool!

Cheers

Kev

kevhaywire, The wiper blades are the same length as the Corrado ones,I measured them side by side before fitting--just out of curiosity. 8)

ordered mine yesterday. apparently vw uk have run out of passenger side wiper blades (must be all you lot!) and they could be up to a week from germany.

i will let you know how i get on when they eventually arrive

jim

But you want two driver's side ones, m8.....

Nope, its two driver's side arms and blades.

Don't need the passenger side ones at all. The passenger side blade is the same length as the drivers side - so if it means you can get the setup quicker without the wait - just get two driver's side pairings.

just got it all fitted (about 5 mins work). i have used 2 drivers side arms, 1 drivers side blade and 1 passenger side blade. all works perfectly and seems to cover at least as much of the screen as the standard ones.

jim

jims corrado wrote

just got it all fitted (about 5 mins work). i have used 2 drivers side arms, 1 drivers side blade and 1 passenger side blade. all works perfectly and seems to cover at least as much of the screen as the standard ones.

Jim u beat me to it by a day. Just put mine on in that configuration and they are the dogs; its been wet here today so have been able to use them - and now I can see wher I'm going :D :D Recommend this to evryone as a must do. All I was going to add for anyone still unsure was that the Lupo blades have the arm pick up points at different positions along the blade length. So although the blades are actually the same overall length, on the passengers side you effectively get a bit more blade length from the pick up point outwards than if you had used a drivers side blade. Alles Klaar?

I went for the driver + passenger side conversion as the passenger arm is about 3 inches longer than the drivers arm, providing more sweep area. I have a cunning plan up my sleeve which is plan B if the lupo arms go belly up. This simply involves removing the pivot points off the lupo arms and putting them on the Corrado arms. Since mine have been dremeled, pressure on the screen is not an issue. I'll do this if I can't live with the bonnet fouling problem.

Cheers

Kev

Done it. The passenger + driver's side is best imo as you get more of a sweep area, more in fact than the standard Corrado setup. Both wipers are able to lay completely flat with no fouling of A pillars. As for the bonnet fouling, you can lift it a foot or so before it catches the bonnet, so no worries. An excellent mod, thanks for suggesting it guys! One thing I noticed was the wipers are slightly slower due to the extra grip on the screen, no major hassle though.

Kev

94 VR6

Ok, I want to get the lupo wipers......

Where can I get them online and do I go for 2x drivers or one of each?? Seem to be differing opinions!

dealers only at present i am afraid. definately go for 2x drivers arms, and 1x passenger blade plus 1x drivers blade.

jim

if you are still unsure let me know and i will mail you some pics.

Ok, I want to get the lupo wipers......

Where can I get them online and do I go for 2x drivers or one of each?? Seem to be differing opinions!

Tom,

If you dont have a VW dealer near you, I can get the parts from my local stealer (should still get parts club discount) and mail em to you.. though with my Saxo needing the door sorting after getting broken into, it'd have to be 'cash up front' as I just dont have the cash to go buy em and get the money off you after :|

Cheers Jim ('sCorrado) and Cheers Jim(16v)!

If you could sort the parts out for us Jim I'd be very grateful! If you get a quote from your stealer (with a discount would be great, because I'm a bit short on the folding stuff myself at the moment!) and let me know. I'll drop a cheque in the post for you.

Cheers

Can someone please post a pic of the C with 2 drivers arems and blades fitted at Rest and at the top of the wipe please.

And just to confuse things even further...LOL :D

If you have the Passenger side arm/blade but the arm will not lay flat due to fouling the screen pillar, remove the pastic end cap from the blade, cut a new profile lower down the two steel blade halfs (a Dremmel is the easiest way to go) and you can make the blade any length you want!

Bob. Uncle. etc.

JohnJ

Finally got round to ordering mine today - they're on back-order so not sure when they'll come in! Too many of us doing this mod, it would seem!

Thats a good tip JohnJ! I have done the passenger+driver setup, since I need the larger sweep area for my rain sensor - but if its a little too much, it won't be too difficult to trim 1cm off :)

I've ordered another driver's side arm for the passenger side to see how I get on with that. There's nothing wrong with the D + P setup, it's just that I'm a little concerned that someone might lift the wiper up (valeters, girlfriend, fly posters etc) and not know it won't clear the bonnet.

I got the same response as you Andi, none in the country. Apparently it's not just Golf/Corrado owners that are doing the mod. These wipers are so successful they are selling like hot cakes to people across the whole VAG spectrum as a cheap upgrade.

Cheers

Kev

Picked my driver's arm up today and yes you are all right, it is the better of the two setups. To recap, you need a driver's arm with driver blade and driver arm with passenger blade. Doesn't quite wipe as much as the standard Lupo setup but it's still better than the terrible Corrado system, by miles.

Don't mix the blades up like I did otherwise the drivers side clouts the A pillar!

Cheers

Kev

Can anyone tell me if the Lupo wiper mod will work with a single wiper? Mine seems ok but I use rain-x and don't use the car much. If anyone has done this to a single wipered C can they let me know? Cheers, Grim

How long is your single blade?

And does the arm connect using a 13mm nut?

If so, I'd guess so!

21 inches which i think is 2 inches longer than normal. Is it a lost cause? Don't want to fit it if it's an MOT fail or anything. Cheers