Sign in to follow this  
weegaz22

what model to buy?

looking for info and opinions on what would be the best corrado for around the £2000 mark, couldnt afford to run a vr6 on petrol so thats that model discounted, i can do mechanical work myself so servicing and maintenance is not a problem.

i was leaning more toward a G60 as i will want to modify it to around the 200bhp mark(+ the supercharger sounds great :D )

any ideas on typical servicing costs and modifications?

are the engines bullet proof if the charger is looked after?

thanks in advance

If your budget is 2K then go for a decent 1.816v. You will be very lucky to get a good G60 or 2.016v for that money.

how much would a good example of a G60 cost then? im going for the bank loan route its just i dont want to be paying out loads for the loan per month as i would like to spend around £200 ish a month on the car, first thing that would be done would be the charger rebuilt by myself

i can go to the 3k mark but not much over it

£200 per month on the loan, or in total?

There is a pretty nice looking G60 in the for sale section at the minute @ £2500 - needs a charger rebuild, but if you are budgeting for that anyway, you should be ok :)

There is a pretty nice looking G60 in the for sale section at the minute @ £2500 - needs a charger rebuild, but if you are budgeting for that anyway, you should be ok :)

i can afford a max of 160 a month in a loan (3k over 2 years)

then an additional 200 ish for servicing and mods

fuel consumption between g60 and vr6 is only small. Driving appropriately the vr can match 16v and g60 easily. A tuned g60 will also chew some serious fuel!!!

8)

fuel consumption between g60 and vr6 is only small. Driving appropriately the vr can match 16v and g60 easily. A tuned g60 will also chew some serious fuel!!!

8)

yes but a G60 will cost less to tune :D (not looking to spend a fortune, enough to get a nice set of 17's, suspension kit, a few body mods to make the car look nice and clean, and a nice round figure of 200bhp :-P over a bit of time)

+ most of the vr6's i have seen are out of my budget, not to mention approaching the 100k mark if not more, meaning timing chain & tensioner replacement which i couldnt afford after just buying the car

i want a car with forced induction really as most of the cars ive had were naturally aspirated apart from my old 944 turbo, so i want to go down the blower route again

i can afford a max of 160 a month in a loan (3k over 2 years)

then an additional 200 ish for servicing and mods

also i meant that the 200 ish would be 200 a month(when pay day comes :lol: )

I was just replying about the fuel cos that was the excuse you were using not to buy a VR.

ta

timo

fuel consumption between g60 and vr6 is only small. Driving appropriately the vr can match 16v and g60 easily. A tuned g60 will also chew some serious fuel!!! 8)

But a VR is very slow if driven appropriately, LOL!

I was just replying about the fuel cos that was the excuse you were using not to buy a VR.

ta

timo

sorry didnt mean that to sound arrogant, just meant that i thought if you floored a vr6 its fuel consumption would drop off the charts, where as the G60 would be a "tad" more forgiving id imagine

nope, there's not a lot in it between the VR and the G60's fuel consumption when driving hard... :)

nope, there's not a lot in it between the VR and the G60's fuel consumption when driving hard... :)

cool, no probs then, will still look for the g60 as they are initially cheaper to buy, whats the common probs to look out for?

supercharger, supercharger, supercharger................... Make sure its been looked after properly.

Emm.... what else. Not really a g60 expert.

timo 8)

supercharger, supercharger, supercharger................... Make sure its been looked after properly.

Emm.... what else. Not really a g60 expert.

timo 8)

ill be fully rebuilding the blower myself when i first get the car anyway as a precautionary measure, that and a cambelt and tensioner swap, no major common faults through the corrado line?or is it mostly niggly little things that piss you off?

ive mostly been a vauxhall man (apart from a porka 944t 8) )so my vw knowledge isnt great, but im learning as my dad just bought a mk3 golf gti 8 valve, i feel i need somthing with 200bhp as getting off my bike and into anything less would just make me bored

Yeah, mostly niggly things. But they all cost money. General wear and tear is the cause of most of it. These cars are fairly getting on now. Stuff like suspension (bushes, shocks, top mounts, bump stops etc.....), usually service parts, cam belts etc.

Not any major common faults. Not that I know of anyway (with regards to a g60) :oops: .

The rest of the engine is solid as a rock.

200bhp. 8) get it there!! Do the deed. Dying to get a better job + more money to get a g60 aswell. They sound amazing, never been in one yet though :(

Have a video of inside 'andycouk' g60 giving it some serious gun. Tis well cool. The video convinced me that I need one.

sorry about my random rants 8)

timo

Yeah, mostly niggly things. But they all cost money. General wear and tear is the cause of most of it. These cars are fairly getting on now. Stuff like suspension (bushes, shocks, top mounts, bump stops etc.....), usually service parts, cam belts etc.

Not any major common faults. Not that I know of anyway (with regards to a g60) :oops: .

The rest of the engine is solid as a rock.

200bhp. 8) get it there!! Do the deed. Dying to get a better job + more money to get a g60 aswell. They sound amazing, never been in one yet though :(

Have a video of inside 'andycouk' g60 giving it some serious gun. Tis well cool. The video convinced me that I need one.

sorry about my random rants 8)

timo

got a link to that video?

money is the problem with me as well at the moment, but the way i figure it is i will get a better job in 6-7 months time when i can really afford to start doing major mods to it, but for now it would just be getting it to a healthy spec by replacing all worn parts and service items like belts and getting the blower reconditioned

meant to ask how much is a full recon kit for a blower? replacing all bearings, apex strips and belts, think i read somewhere in the region of £2-300?

whats in the modified blowers?

whats the first mods most G60 owners do to the engine(apart from induction kits and zorsts) chip and pulley?

-Sorry dont have a link. It was on his website but it aint there anymore. Tell you what, his site has an email address so here it is - andycowuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk it dont start with www.

-Recon kit is about that price I think

-not sure whats in a modified blower. Think they are gas flowed/polished.....

-Most do chip and pulley.

ta

timo

the first thing most G60 owners do is to get the charger rebuilt with new seals and bearings and a new charger timing belt... Then at least you know that it isn't gonna grenade on you... ;)

The modded blowers tend to be ported out and smoothed out to get the maximum air flow outta them and some of the seals and bearings may well be uprated too....

Chip and pulley make a BIG difference, with the toothed belt conversion starting to become a must have (a LOT of people were very interested in the one fitted to mine at Inters! ;) :lol: ) There's also a lot of people removing the boost return pipe which will cause the charger to run cooler and thus more efficiently and gives a mad boost dump sound when you let off the throttle...

A decent (mocal or similar) oil cooler is also a must if you intend to start modding the engine...

The most annoying common fault is the bolt which goes into the crank which holds all the pulleys on... it has a nasty habbit of shearing off..... good news is that it's under £5 for a new uprated one and reasonably easy to fit... :)

Chip and pulley make a BIG difference, with the toothed belt conversion starting to become a must have

Your toothed belt conversion sounded wicked 8)

The boost sounded like it built up a lot quicker than normal, and more of it 8)

Chip and pulley make a BIG difference, with the toothed belt conversion starting to become a must have

Your toothed belt conversion sounded wicked 8)

The boost sounded like it built up a lot quicker than normal, and more of it 8)

i take it the toothed belt conversion is to stop belt slippage on the charger giving more response and power?

yup... exactly that reason... 8)

It also stops slippage at HIGH revs which is the one people don't think about, so you get a higher top end boost figure too... 8)

The low end torque increase should be very noticable, Woody's the best to ask on that one as he's got the same kit as me (only blue annodised, not black like mine) on a pretty standard engine... I have no idea how much of a change it makes other than the noise 'cos I've nothing to compare it with having changed just about every component on the engine in someway! :? :lol:

media?id=81190954

1991 VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO G60, 1991, blue

metallic, FSH, with receipts, new supercharger, chipped, Scorpion exhaust, taxed and Mot. £2,150.

ok guys have seen this in autotrader, spoke to the guy earlier, says its got 160,000 miles on it, which is a lot, but its got FSH and a new charger

so whats your opinions?

not exactly asking the earth for it,and as its had a new charger that should be one worry less......tho it all depends on when this was done........if it was a "new" charger 3-4 years ago then i would still budget for getting the charger inspected, also try and get as long as possible MOT on it,if its only got for example 9 months test then i would offer to pay for another test fee and get a years ticket on it,also find out what chip is in it and if the pulley has been changed too,same with cam-belt too

other than that its in a good colour and appears to be near standard looking which is always nice to see IMHO