GrahamU

Is this rear beam to far gone for re-building?

Got this beam free when I bought a pair of mk4 calipers and braided hoses and have been thinking about cleaning it up, getting it powder coated and new bushes etc

It has a fair bit of rust lumps falling off of it, do you think its to far gone?

IMG_0268_zps3d6a140a.jpg

IMG_0269_zps83956c60.jpg

IMG_0270_zpsbfd50ffe.jpg

IMG_0271_zps093ae2b1.jpg

IMG_0272_zps1179fdfb.jpg

Sorry for the amount of pics but I wanted to give a good idea of its condition

I would knock some of the rust off first. When it flakes up like that it has a tendency to make it look worse than it actually is. Having said that, it's probably on the marginal side IMHO.

/\ +1. You can't really tell until you've had it shot-blasted. You can then make a decision on whether it's worth getting powder coated or not. Shouldn't cost too much at all.

Hmm - I didn't see the pics of the bushes before... tbh that's the worst I've ever seen one - must have sat for a while!

It may well be ok though but I think you should check the bushes actually come out first before spending money on it.

Sorry, that beam looks really bad, I'm sure you can find a better one than that as a starting point for a blast and repaint.