Jim

Advice on painting a Corrado..

He was most certainly ripped off Overall it is a good spray job the prep was very poor to be honest but it doesn't look it's best yet but then to be honest I prefer it the way it is if it was immaculate i would be worried all the time I said it at the start it is not a show car and never will be a show car but it's Bl**dy Quick.

Edited by clumpy1

Don't be silly Sean I am thick skinned and it wasn't me who forked out the £7.5k it was Stoney who Baron bought it off just trying to upload a couple of pic's but not working.[ATTACH]74915[/ATTACH][ATTACH]74916[/ATTACH] There you go there is a pile of receipt's with this car.

Don't be silly Sean I am thick skinned and it wasn't me who forked out the £7.5k it was Stoney who Baron bought it off just trying to upload a couple of pic's but not working.[ATTACH]74915[/ATTACH][ATTACH]74916[/ATTACH] There you go there is a pile of receipt's with this car.

That is insane isn't it... I am a believer that you generally get what you pay for but when I saw the car down at G-werks both sills had paint litterally flaking off, I remember running my finger along and more came off, I'd be furious If i'd payed a figure like that!

Like I said it wasn't me who paid the £7.5k so it doesn't bother me didn't know it had had issues like that though everything else is pretty much spot on engine run's sweet a couple of little thing's to do Stoney spent an absolute fortune on this car everything all new and all from the dealer's i mean everything.

Yeah, I saw the receipts - even with TPS discounts he spent thousands!!

He's a nice guy, just a shame that he paid a lot of money to people for work that didn't really get done that well and he never got to enjoy the finished product!

I'm sure it's superb now but I just couldn't justify the time-input required to fix it - for instance when I drove it it was full of water, and I mean literally - you could have had fish in the rear footwells!!

7.5k!! wow, how long ago was this paint job done? , for 7.5.k they should offer paint warranty for things like that, even though its a different owner its worth looking into if you still have original receipts etc ,

Yeah, I saw the receipts - even with TPS discounts he spent thousands!!

He's a nice guy, just a shame that he paid a lot of money to people for work that didn't really get done that well and he never got to enjoy the finished product!

I'm sure it's superb now but I just couldn't justify the time-input required to fix it - for instance when I drove it it was full of water, and I mean literally - you could have had fish in the rear footwells!!

Don't tell me anymore mate :lol: I had an inkling myself that it had been sat not to worry as it is solid all original from what we have been able to gather next job is sunroof I have a replacement one and brand new seal (these are obselete now) the one in just now is scratched probably from when they were doing the respray have got new door seal's coming then it will be time for the interior.You can just see in one of the photo's 2008 the respray was done.Not just TPS he got alot of stuff from Peter Cooper and Colborne's there is getting on for £30k in receipt's :shocked!:

Edited by clumpy1

How do they get the ripple effect (probably the wrong word) along the bottom of the sills after treating for rust?

There're still "cheap" paint jobs out there - a mate of mine had his passat estate resprayed (with rub strips and roof in a different colour metallic paint) for £600. It's an incredible job for the money. (or for 2 or 3 times the money!) ... There was no rust to fix though - just a tidy-up paint. The bargain price involved leaving the car with the guy for a week or 2 so it could be fitted in round "proper" work.

Its painted over the top of stonechip. Problem is that the stonechip being so soft, the paint chips off very easily.

How do they get the ripple effect (probably the wrong word) along the bottom of the sills after treating for rust?

orange peel effect, you need to spray something like upol's gravitex from a stone chip gun, follow that wet on wet {don't allow it to fully dry} with a 2k highbuild primer,

do a test piece first because air pressure and distance has an effect on how it looks if you want to match what is already there..

http://www.hex.co.uk/tds/upol/gravitex.pdf

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Also, ancillaries like roof trims, scraper seals and rear plate holders are getting pricey. Set plenty aside for brittle overpriced plastic mate.

I ended up spending loads on extras while it was in bits getting paint......

My roof trims are a few years old I think and in great shape still, I have a brand new set of scraper seals in the garage, as well as a brand new set of the Corrado sill plate protector tape stuff. So I have a few things ready for a respray thanks to the previous owner!

Also, ancillaries like roof trims, scraper seals and rear plate holders are getting pricey. Set plenty aside for brittle overpriced plastic mate.

I ended up spending loads on extras while it was in bits getting paint......

Very good point/advice^^

---------- Post added at 2:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:59 PM ----------

My roof trims are a few years old I think and in great shape still, I have a brand new set of scraper seals in the garage, as well as a brand new set of the Corrado sill plate protector tape stuff. So I have a few things ready for a respray thanks to the previous owner!

Keep a hold of those scraper seals they are obselete now. I recently bought a driver's one and was told there was only two in stock i imagine the other has since been bought and the passenger side went obselete last year.

Edited by clumpy1

Indeed. I have no intentions of letting them go anywhere - apart from on my own car.

Indeed. I have no intentions of letting them go anywhere - apart from on my own car.

Now forgive if i am getting this wrong Jim but you are saying you don't fancy spending the money to get it painted yet you have these scraper seal's which you say are for your car.Sound's like you have made your mind up about painting the car already :rolleyes: Plus you know you would regret getting rid of the Rado. ;)

The scraper seals came with the car when I bought it 3 years ago. The previous owner had intended to get the car painted back then so had started to accumulate parts but decided to chuck them in when I bought the car. I then had every intention of getting it painted but just... money, life, other priorities etc just kept getting in the way. I hung onto them as I knew if I kept the car long term it would need paintwork, and that they'd come in handy eventually.

Just get it painted Jim if you have part's like that to replace any that get damaged etc go for it mate surely you must have amassed enough info in the time you have been on here/being an owner you will know what to look for when getting it done.Beside's life is too short ;)

Couple of more bits to mull over from me...

My original storm had some nasty wheel arch rust issues on all 4 arches. A paint shop in Bristol treated and painted just the arches, blending the paint in halfway up the panel. I really am no paint expert but others who, are said it was an amazing job... Don't think you HAVE to paint the whole panel.

My present daily driver 8v had some scabby patches giving the car a 'rat look' that I didn't like. I had bonnet, front bumper, wings, doors (scrappers only masked as it is a daily and I didn't want to risk having the old scrapers bent on removal/refit but handles removed), mirrors, rear quarters (but only blended to the 'crease') and rear panel painted. And rear bumper given a good polish.

£1200.

And the car looked so good I felt I had to spend another £200 on wheel refub.

It's a daily though I don't have to drive it to work every day. I try not to worry about car parks and stone chips but accept that over time it will pick up some knocks & chips....

Speak to bodyshops.

Find out what they can do & are happy to do (some might not want to put their name to a 'patch up job').

Decide how much you want the car to look respectable at a sensible price vs look stunning at the worry it will give you!!

Edited by Butterfly

That's some great and reassuring advice Judith. Thanks - it's much appreciated.

Mine is a daily - I don't want or need it to be a show car. I'm not fastidious enough to be able to detect a 'bad' paintjob to be honest so it just needs to look nice - not MINT.

The side door trims I'd probably look to remove when the car was done as I've always hated how they look on the Corrado! Does make me more vulnerable to parking dings but I'll just be sure to park further away from the masses in car parks ;)

Couple of more bits to mull over from me...

My original storm had some nasty wheel arch rust issues on all 4 arches. A paint shop in Bristol treated and painted just the arches, blending the paint in halfway up the panel. I really am no paint expert but others who, are said it was an amazing job... Don't think you HAVE to paint the whole panel.

My present daily driver 8v had some scabby patches giving the car a 'rat look' that I didn't like. I had bonnet, front bumper, wings, doors (scrappers only masked as it is a daily and I didn't want to risk having the old scrapers bent on removal/refit but handles removed), mirrors, rear quarters (but only blended to the 'crease') and rear panel painted. And rear bumper given a good polish.

£1200.

And the car looked so good I felt I had to spend another £200 on wheel refub.

It's a daily though I don't have to drive it to work every day. I try not to worry about car parks and stone chips but accept that over time it will pick up some knocks & chips....

Speak to bodyshops.

Find out what they can do & are happy to do (some might not want to put their name to a 'patch up job').

Decide how much you want the car to look respectable at a sensible price vs look stunning at the worry it will give you!!

Best advice yet ^^ :)

Well I went to the body shop. It was a bit of a crushing experience if I'm honest. The chap who went round my car with me was really helpful and genuinely seemed enthusiastic about having something different to the normal bread and butter in to work on - they do get nice things in (seem to do a lot of work for Porsche and so forth so confident in their ability, etc) but largely deal with minor repairs for Peugeot and so forth.

Anyway - my car was parked up in the sun and it looked awful. The passenger side was a complete state in direct sunlight - the drivers door was the wrong colour green (never noticed this in 3 years of ownership), the rust looked terrible, baked on polish I'd not managed to get off after trying to polish the car this weekend gone when it was SCORCHING - and he went around and pointed out areas where there was substantial filler under the paint, something I'd not appreciated. He reckoned the passenger side wing is beyond repair, and everything else is do-able - but essentially it needs a full respray. £3000.

Honestly? I just don't know that I care enough about the Corrado to sort this out. It's no secret I'm stepping down as Sprinter editor at the next AGM, I've actually been to only one show this year (Stanford) and have no real intentions of going to any others. I just don't think I want to spend that kind of money on the car.

I booked it in anyway for start of September but I almost immediately wanted to call up and cancel it after leaving. I'm really, really stuck and I don't know what to do. If I sell the car I'll always feel guilty for letting a Corrado run into decline and not fixing it after YEARS of watching folks do the same on the forum and thinking "I'd never do that.." and I don't doubt I'll miss it. But 3k + whatever I could get for my car as a project for someone (an easy grand?) would buy me something very decent. Or pretty much get me onto the property ladder with the other savings I have.

Help :(

At the end of the day Jim, it's just a car. Keep your £3k and put it towards a property.

You can tell from your post that's that's what you want to do and you're right.

I think you should keep the 3k and put it towards the house. Contiune to drive the corrado as a "rat" look or sell on as a project.

It's worth going to a couple of other places to see what they say mate, but why not just treat the rust and worst affected areas asap, then in a couple of years time you'll have your foot on the property ladder (and a nice garage if all goes well) and save for a respray then. Alternatively, and you can do it slow time at least is buy a compressor, air gun, etc etc and take it off the road for a few months and do it yourself. Ok it won't be bodyshop standard, but it'll look pretty good regardless if you take your time. That's what I'm planning next winter. I can strip the car down then at concentrate on the prep as thats my only real worry.

This way, you get the best of both worlds and you'll come out on top in both respects. Win Win!!!