P3rks

Are Corrado prices on the up?

I've been noticing lately a lot of Corrado's for sale around the £3.5k mark. Are Corrado prices on the rise?

I often look around pretending i am in the market and notice not many late well specced VR's to choose from. Used to be about 100 corrados listed on pistonheads at any one time a few years back.

The good ones will always command a better price, whether or not they sell is a different matter and there is also a lot of cr@p out there. I would imagine that prices will eventually increase much as they have done for MK1 and MK2 Golf GTI's. I find it hard to come to terms that my Mk2 Golf is worth 40 - 60% more than my Corrado.

The Corrado gets to live in the garage though.

Well they arent going any lower thats for sure and if you look on the likes of Pistonheads there is a lot less for sale. Supply will go down so naturally prices should remain as they are if not improve slightly I would have thought.

Well they arent going any lower thats for sure and if you look on the likes of Pistonheads there is a lot less for sale. Supply will go down so naturally prices should remain as they are if not improve slightly I would have thought.

It will always end up being determined by supply (getting more limited) and demand (not sure what the demand is at present). One thing I have leant over my many years of VAG ownership is that original non modified examples always get the most interest when it comes to selling.

This subject comes up occasionally but I don't think they are on the rise yet. I would love it if they were. The prices are advertised prices and it would be interesting to see how quickly they sell and what they sell for eventually. It's summer at the moment and prices for weekend and enthusiast cars are typically higher during these months.

Have to agree with vr6 south , I recently had the rear end put back to oem , apart from the seams . Oem will always be top , especially when our cars really start to decline in numbers . Have also noticed the small amount that is for sale on piston heads . A few more write ups in car magazines , will always help as well . It was nice to see the one in practical classics last month .

I think prices for the best oem examples will rise over time. I suspect the Corrado's ownership profile will change as classic car enthusiasts buy up the best oem examples and the non standard examples or those in poor condition fall out of favour.

I think prices for the best oem examples will rise over time. I suspect the Corrado's ownership profile will change as classic car enthusiasts buy up the best oem examples and the non standard examples or those in poor condition fall out of favour.

What a load of waffle sorry mate there will alway's be people interested in Non Standard Example's. I suspect by your comment's your's is oem am I correct?

What a load of waffle sorry mate there will alway's be people interested in Non Standard Example's. I suspect by your comment's your's is oem am I correct?

Is that why many good modded cars end up being broken as the sum of their parts is worth more than the car itself?

Is that why many good modded cars end up being broken as the sum of their parts is worth more than the car itself?

Sorry mate maybe I was a bit quick off the mark there I totally understand what you are saying I think it depend's on each car on it's own merit's.

I think it will be years before they appreciate a significant amount, as despite the rave reviews - and unlike the golf - they were never popular at the outset, so why should they be popular as a collectible.

I think it will be years before they appreciate a significant amount, as despite the rave reviews - and unlike the golf - they were never popular at the outset, so why should they be popular as a collectible.

Too true Unfortunately.

This.

I think you probably have to factor in the original high sale price affecting its popularity though.

I think you probably have to factor in the original high sale price affecting its popularity though.

Possibly if it's the one and only owner selling Does that make sense?.

I mean the high original sale price as in what it sold for when it was a new car. It was so expensive that the theory is that it put people off buying it.

Sorry matey yeah "penny dropped" thought you meant other way about (if you know what i mean)

I think the Corrado has everything going for it, and that will eventually lead to higher values..

* It was very well regarded by the motoring press.. still has a certain aura about it to folks in their mid 30's.

* It wasn't too popular so there weren't that many sold compared to Golfs, Scirocco's, etc..

* LOTS have been crashed and broken for spares meaning numbers are dwindling

I think in time, it will start to command a decent premium in the used car market. Certainly doesn't hurt every time you get features such as the one in the Practical Classics magazine either.

This was the point i was making on the thread about the guy trying to resell that VR for 9k.. It can't be a bad thing for people to start speculating on higher Corrado prices and they are at at age where they're becoming a modern classic rather than a cheap daily coupe. Look how many people rejoin the forum, now at an older age and with a few grand spare for a weekend car.

Of course, what people are looking for within a car will vary, some will be after that minter Storm that they couldn't quite afford before, others will be looking for a tastefully modified toy.. and with less about, prices can only go one way. :fingerscrossed:

Edited by bristolbaron

This was the point i was making on the thread about the guy trying to resell that VR for 9k.. It can't be a bad thing for people to start speculating on higher Corrado prices and they are at at age where they're becoming a modern classic rather than a cheap daily coupe. Look how many people rejoin the forum, now at an older age and with a few grand spare for a weekend car.

Of course, what people are looking for within a car will vary, some will be after that minter Storm that they couldn't quite afford before, others will be looking for a tastefully modified toy.. and with less about, prices can only go one way. :fingerscrossed:

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

I know exactly what you are saying Baz and also totally understood what you were saying the fact it was done with a LHD car may or may not help as it may very well sell to someone on the continent people see that here put there RHD up for sale on the back of it without realising that car sold overseas. But all help's

I can't honestly see prices ever getting too high - it's not got the retro kitsch appeal of the MK1 or MK2 Golf immediately before it, and it is average against the more plentiful cars a little newer than it (R32, Civic Type R, Impreza/Evo, MK1 Focus RS). It's got a special place in the hearts of the people who have owned one or always wanted one, but sadly most people don't really know what one is.

I can't honestly see prices ever getting too high - it's not got the retro kitsch appeal of the MK1 or MK2 Golf immediately before it, and it is average against the more plentiful cars a little newer than it (R32, Civic Type R, Impreza/Evo, MK1 Focus RS). It's got a special place in the hearts of the people who have owned one or always wanted one, but sadly most people don't really know what one is.

What u say at the end of your post may well say it all they may not know what it is but they know they love it and that is all that matter's. As soon as they drive it they know they have to keep a hold of it. I love mine and would not sell even if i was making a few grand profit it truly is an awesome machine that keep's up with/destroy's the best easily. Absolutely Love It.

I agree the only way is up man i bought my bay window for £400 was offered £175 for it after i nearly died in it and now it would be worth 10k plus easy t25 vw vans you couldnt give them away and split screens well 30k whats that all about they are awful old things really!

So anyway as a second timer there has always been a slot in the market for a sports coupe and were all gonna be in the money soon :onfire:

now without whishing to teach you to suck eggs the only reason the rado didnt sell that well was its price tag of 30k now the golf was realeased with the vr6 at 16ish so it was a no brainer although i fell in love with the styling at the launch and feel there is no other 4 seater coupe to match it especially if you have a g60 as its half the weight of those vr6s and sounds exquisite :snipersmile: money in the bank boys sleep easy