P3rks

Are Corrado prices on the up?

No idea where prices will go but the oxygen of publicity can't do any harm. Here's another article from the Classic mag world....

In my head I've written the cost of mine off completely and if I do sell anything I get would therefore be a bonus.

I have to admit to being pretty hopeless on the fix it yourself front but that doesn't put me off driving an old car in the slightest. Perhaps when the kids are flown and I retire I might do more on it myself (with some help from other forum members no doubt being essential). Even before I got this one (which I think is the best car I've ever had) I always used to like holding on to my cars and seeing how long I could make them last. I'm just pleased to be the owner of a pretty rare car that is capable of very decent performance. The fact that most people don't know what it is or what its capable of is kind of nice too :shades:

This pretty much echoes my situation. I've probably spent just as much on the car as the original purchase price, on new alarm, recaros, bits of trim, etc. But in my mind the money is written off because it's a love thing. I honestly didn't think I would love the car as much as I do. If and when I ever sell the car then finding the right buyer is just as important as the price I sell for.

I've never been a diy mechanic but do try to do things on this car and it has taught me so much. Even if I get a garage to do work on this or other cars I now at least know the basics so can be sure of what they are doing.

---------- Post added at 7:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:50 AM ----------

No idea where prices will go but the oxygen of publicity can't do any harm. Here's another article from the Classic mag world....

In my head I've written the cost of mine off completely and if I do sell anything I get would therefore be a bonus.

I have to admit to being pretty hopeless on the fix it yourself front but that doesn't put me off driving an old car in the slightest. Perhaps when the kids are flown and I retire I might do more on it myself (with some help from other forum members no doubt being essential). Even before I got this one (which I think is the best car I've ever had) I always used to like holding on to my cars and seeing how long I could make them last. I'm just pleased to be the owner of a pretty rare car that is capable of very decent performance. The fact that most people don't know what it is or what its capable of is kind of nice too :shades:

This pretty much echoes my situation. I've probably spent just as much on the car as the original purchase price, on new alarm, recaros, bits of trim, etc. But in my mind the money is written off because it's a love thing. I honestly didn't think I would love the car as much as I do. If and when I ever sell the car then finding the right buyer is just as important as the price I sell for.

I've never been a diy mechanic but do try to do things on this car and it has taught me so much. Even if I get a garage to do work on this or other cars I now at least know the basics so can be sure of what they are doing.

Easy Jim i was not talking about anyone in particular. And here it is again the car wouldn't be worth what i spent on the respray alone some people just don't get it. I am not a Lottery Winner Millionaire just an ordinary working class guy but i am not looking to get anything back from what i put into my car spending money on my car is what i enjoy doing. Life is way too short to not enjoy it while you are here and it's not about "putting the money in they should"

Clumpy you just take the words out of my mouth!

I actually kind of agree with it tbh. It's the fact that parts are not cheap, and a car of this vintage ALWAYS requires mechanical work that some just don't have the knowledge to do themselves. Take me for example, I earn what is actually a very good wage, but I also have very high outgoings. I don't have a large amount of money to plough into the car, but if (and when!) problems occur with mine, I'm safe in the knowledge that I could diagnose and fix the problems myself. (With a little help from the forum obviously!). I bought mine from such a person as above, when the car was an absolute stinker and he had run out of ideas and money, and turned it into a car thats now (or will shortly be) mechanically sound and just a bit rough around the edges. I've spent very little getting it to this stage though, but thats simply because I'm confident to get stuck in and do the work required. Those that allow them to run into neglect, just either don't have the money, time, or enthusiasm to give a car like this the money, time, or enthusiasm most of us here think it deserves.

The fact its such a low outlay, for what gets you a cracking looking car that has alot of respect from most, and has reasonably decent performance compared to anything similar, is what will continue to make those that just don't realise you have to plough money, time, and enthusiasm into the car to buy them.

Amen!

I'm an enthusiast too, but I wouldn't dream of passing judgement on who should or shouldn't buy the type of car I am an enthusiast about. Stinks of elitism in my opinion.

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/9d6/f3f/7e2/resized/bubber-meme-generator-you-go-girl-a84866.jpg

If and when I ever sell the car then finding the right buyer is just as important as the price I sell for..

Get yourself a schrick on there and I want first refusal when the time comes! :thumbleft:

Definitely interesting to read some different opinions and some have made me reconsider my own.

Agree with this 100%, went to stanford hall this year and sorry to say but the standard of the average corrado has dropped but due to this exact reason.... why would you spend money painting and fixing if in the end the value is still the same.....

:salute: You are correct buddy there is too many being bought by people who cannot afford to invest in there upkeep.

As for these 2 comments (quoted and therefore now a little out of context), I can see what is meant and I agree to an extent, but I'm perhaps a little more lenient! It makes me sad to see the way some Corrados have ended up, but if they are owned by a forum member, it's almost always because someone has 'saved' one. The horrors seem to appear on here as a link from another website. Judging the standard of a car and the owner's plans for it based solely on a show like Stanford Hall just doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to admit that their car is a work in progress, myself included, but still want to attend shows in the meantime! The fact that a car is on the stand tells me a lot.

I suppose my opinion is swayed by my own situation. Mine is definitely one of the ones bringing the average down and I really wish I'd bought a better example but this is the one I have and over time, I would like to think it will improve. So far, the money spent on the cosmetic side of things has been extremely limited (my RXs being the only real outlay and they were a bargain), but I'm in no rush. Even if you look at the engine bay (yes, I'll readily admit I am very guilty of not having cleaned this up over the 8 years I've owned the car - slap on the wrists for that!), there is little on show for my money; no turbo or SC lurking under the bonnet for example, but I have spent a lot on the car. A more-than-cursory glance would reveal suspension and handling upgrades and there are other things where the time, effort and money might not be so easily spotted. Unfortunately, the appearance of my car doesn't invite a more-than-cursory glance.

I don't have the tools or the confidence to work on my car, and I most certainly don't have the knowledge but I am another who isn't put off owning an older car in the slightest by this. Why should I let this stop me enjoying such a wonderful car? I am happy to give a good garage some work, and there was a time when it felt like DG Autotech was my C's second home (a 240-mile round trip). Had I spent this money on the exterior and merely keeping it on the road, I would now own an outwardly beautiful car, but instead I have chosen to do things the other way round and own a beautifully handling Corrado first. Expenditure on the bodywork will happen in time...

Many of us will lose a fair sum through Corrado ownership but I think that is indicative of an enthusiast. Someone who will spend money painting, fixing and upgrading, regardless. Someone who will enjoy owning and driving their car, despite its flaws. Someone who smiles at the knowledge that they own such a great car whether it's home is a garage, a driveway or just the road. The fair sum doesn't seem such a loss when you get so much in return.

Get yourself a schrick on there and I want first refusal when the time comes! :thumbleft:

Haha ok if I sell I'll ping you. And I'd love a schrick. I've been tempted a few times :)

I can see the point from both sides if im honest, these cars do need more money spent on them due to their age and cost of parts/rarity of parts. But at the same time, we all love these cars and most of the time its an enthusiasts who buy the cars, so regardless of the value of the car afterwards, we'd always be willing to spend money on it. I spent 3k on getting a new engine fitted to mine, that was in 2008. Ive just sold it for 1500 and was only asking 1800 for it.. but it wasnt getting the attention i thought it would. It didnt bother me on the loss cos ive been able to enjoy the car.

At the same time theres a corrado that goes to my mechanic also and its a right bucket, not looked after at all and im told the owner just sees it as a get from "A to B".

I think a lot of people forget that if you buy a more modern car - often for more cash, then you are going to lose out on depreciation just as much if not more than sticking with a Corrado. It would be a rare thing for anybody to make money on buying and selling any car unless you got lucky or were a really clued in trader.

Buy a newish car for £7K and watch it depreciate in value by 1.5K in 12 months or buy a £3K Corrado and spend £1K but only be able to sell it for £2.5K the choice is yours!

I can't honestly see prices ever getting too high - it's not got the retro kitsch appeal of the MK1 or MK2 Golf immediately before it, and it is average against the more plentiful cars a little newer than it (R32, Civic Type R, Impreza/Evo, MK1 Focus RS). It's got a special place in the hearts of the people who have owned one or always wanted one, but sadly most people don't really know what one is.

That's a good point. The cars you've listed there were very succcessfully marketed and appealed to enthusiasts. The Corrado was sadly launched right the in the middle of the hot hatch insurance crisis and £20K + group 18 ins just didn't wash with a lot of people at the time. And it's cramped proportions also meant families didn't look at it twice and bought a 5 dr Golf VR instead for significantly less money. The Corrado always was and always will be a niche car, which means it will only ever appeal to a very small market.

And just to be pedantic, there are actually fewer MK4 R32s than Corrados (according to how many left) and love it or hate it, it's a well known car. You never get "nice GTI mate" type comments, like the "nice Scirocco mate" comments you get with Corrados!

Another thing to consider is VW's attitude to the Corrado. VW have been pushing their premium 'R' branding for 11 years now and people clearly want it. So when it came to producing a new coupe that would also get the R make over, it was the Scirocco that was chosen to be reborn, not the Corrado. As an enthusiast, it's quite a crushing blow that the father company doesn't give a schitt about one of it's best offspring and appears to be trying to wipe it from history by obsoleting everything and even omitting it from the VW timeline!! (which was later rectified). I suspect in part due to it's sales flop. The runt of the family they're trying to forget :D

If you want a car as an investment, but an E-Type or something with an already established classic status. "Future classic" is a phrase thrown around with gay abandon with 100s of cars and many of them never make it. The Corrado is a driver's car and should be the primary ownership focus imo. If you think your're sitting on a goldmine, you're not I'm afraid. I personally feel the car is likely to fade into obscurity.

Totally agree Kevin. I've been tempted to swap into a Mk4 R32 or maybe a mk1 TT as I see them having a far better chance of rising in value long term. But I genuinely like having a car that people don't recognise.

I agree with most points made. Though in my opinion the values of the best standard well preserved cars will firm up and be more in demand as time goes by. The number of cars will dwindle as the years pass. Whilst the Corrado (VR6 even) could never seriously be mentioned in the same breath as cars such as an E type, I do believe the best cars will be seen more and more in the Classifieds pages of Classic Car magazines over the next few years. Low mileage, low owner highly specd cars with strong provenance should start to appreciate. Though, I doubt anybody should be in a Corrado of any flavour to make a short/medium term profit! The ownership costs to achieve the holy grail mentioned above are too great. I would see a strong car being worth £5/£6k in the not too distant future, though I myself spend around £1000 a year on each of my cars, which I don't expect to get back any time soon.

There are a lot of classic cars out there that were relatively unloved ( for whatever reason) which are now doing very nicely value wise. The regard in which the Corrado is held by those within e motoring world/press should be enough to see it do relatively well over time, as a rare car becomes rarer.

aha... someone mentioned depreciation, there you go: http://www.motoring.co.uk/free-car-valuation/best-car-for-depreciation?utm_source=taboola

And look what brand is at the top of the list :) Anyhow followed full valuation of my car and according to that website my car is worth £380 in private sale... hmm how about no! :bonk: And you say prices are going up :p

Ran mine just after your post and said £451 so definitely looks like prices are on the up!

Totally agree Kevin. I've been tempted to swap into a Mk4 R32 or maybe a mk1 TT as I see them having a far better chance of rising in value long term. But I genuinely like having a car that people don't recognise.

So did I and I enjoyed the shufties it used to attract, but bizarrely enough the R32 seems to attract more attention. I never thought I'd see the day a MK4 Golf getting more looks than a Corrado, but nowt queer as folk, as they say!

An R32 is a nice stepping stone along the VW career path. It's another handsome, brawny looking VW that's as rare as the Corrado, attracts as much attention & has similar performance, but it's a good 2 or 3 rungs up the quality and refinement ladder. It has everything I wish my Corrado had as standard :) Minters still command around £8K and that's where I'd be looking personally. There's a lot to go wrong on these cars (and TTs) and you'd do well to stay away from the £5K sheds imo.

If you get a TT, make sure it's an early one! Audi changed the wishbone bushes on the MK1.5 TT to dial in loads more understeer because of all the lift off oversteer publicity. But if you want the later styling of the 1.5, Audi's understeering work can be undone. You'll read a lot on the TT forums and fitting R32 ARBs and bushes etc etc to make them handle!

I think the TT might become a classic one day, and I stress might! The reason being there was just nothing at all like it at the time. It's exterior and interior were mould breaking and it was an instant success. Definitely the makings of a classic, imo.

The R32, hmmm, I'm not so sure. VW already have 4WD performance Golfs in the shape of the Rallye and G60 Limited, and neither of those have official classic status? It'll be remembered for it's engine and styling though.

And back to Corrados again, there was already a Coupe before the Corrado and I don't think that's a classic either, or is it? It'll always be a classic among fans and petrol heads, but becoming an acknowledged classic, hmmm, I can't really see it tbh. I think it will be forgotten about like all the good Lancias tbh.

It's now just over a week until I return to the UK and resurrect the Storm. It will need a few pennies spent on it which I don't ever expect to see back come sale time but that's not an issue. As others have said Corrado ownership never has and never will be about making money. The depreciation chart was an interesting one. It's good to see my planned 2014 daily is at no.10 in slowest depreciating cars - now to get back to the UK and test drive plenty:)

And back to Corrados again, there was already a Coupe before the Corrado and I don't think that's a classic either, or is it? It'll always be a classic among fans and petrol heads, but becoming an acknowledged classic, hmmm, I can't really see it tbh. I think it will be forgotten about like all the good Lancias tbh.

The MK1 Scirocco is now apparently starting to get quite valuable purely because they all rotted away and finding a good one is nigh on impossible! Not so sure the MK2 will ever be looked upon the same way though..

I agree with most points made. Though in my opinion the values of the best standard well preserved cars will firm up and be more in demand as time goes by. The number of cars will dwindle as the years pass. Whilst the Corrado (VR6 even) could never seriously be mentioned in the same breath as cars such as an E type, I do believe the best cars will be seen more and more in the Classifieds pages of Classic Car magazines over the next few years. Low mileage, low owner highly specd cars with strong provenance should start to appreciate. Though, I doubt anybody should be in a Corrado of any flavour to make a short/medium term profit! The ownership costs to achieve the holy grail mentioned above are too great. I would see a strong car being worth £5/£6k in the not too distant future, though I myself spend around £1000 a year on each of my cars, which I don't expect to get back any time soon.

There are a lot of classic cars out there that were relatively unloved ( for whatever reason) which are now doing very nicely value wise. The regard in which the Corrado is held by those within e motoring world/press should be enough to see it do relatively well over time, as a rare car becomes rarer.

I tend to agree with this viewpoint myself.

I'm about to embark on spending what will no doubt be bucket loads of cash on my storm and i'm happy to do so, it also helps that i'm now old enough to have that disposable income (glad theres some ruddy positives to getting older!) to do so. I bought and sold a few cars&bikes over the last 2 years and made a reasonable return (not enough to retire young sadly) but its got me as far as the VR6 at least. Will I see a decent return on the corrado? Probably not unless I lock it in a barn for a few years. Will I enjoy the journey? damn right I will !

you pays yer money, you takes yer pick :cool:

The MK1 Scirocco is now apparently starting to get quite valuable purely because they all rotted away and finding a good one is nigh on impossible! Not so sure the MK2 will ever be looked upon the same way though..

Which is the same way the Corrado will go :D

So did I and I enjoyed the shufties it used to attract, but bizarrely enough the R32 seems to attract more attention. I never thought I'd see the day a MK4 Golf getting more looks than a Corrado, but nowt queer as folk, as they say!

An R32 is a nice stepping stone along the VW career path. It's another handsome, brawny looking VW that's as rare as the Corrado, attracts as much attention & has similar performance, but it's a good 2 or 3 rungs up the quality and refinement ladder. It has everything I wish my Corrado had as standard :) Minters still command around £8K and that's where I'd be looking personally. There's a lot to go wrong on these cars (and TTs) and you'd do well to stay away from the £5K sheds imo.

If you get a TT, make sure it's an early one! Audi changed the wishbone bushes on the MK1.5 TT to dial in loads more understeer because of all the lift off oversteer publicity. But if you want the later styling of the 1.5, Audi's understeering work can be undone. You'll read a lot on the TT forums and fitting R32 ARBs and bushes etc etc to make them handle!

I think the TT might become a classic one day, and I stress might! The reason being there was just nothing at all like it at the time. It's exterior and interior were mould breaking and it was an instant success. Definitely the makings of a classic, imo.

The R32, hmmm, I'm not so sure. VW already have 4WD performance Golfs in the shape of the Rallye and G60 Limited, and neither of those have official classic status? It'll be remembered for it's engine and styling though.

I didn't know that about the mk1.5 TT's so thanks. I did have both a pre-facelift and a post-facelift mk1 TT and didn't personally notice much difference, although I never drive to those sorts of extremes. The TT was simply unique when it first came out and I got so much attention from people when driving them at the time. It felt special and "personal" inside the cabin in much the same way I feel inside the Corrado.

Also a very good point about the mk1 and mk2 Scirocco's. The mk1's are rising in value only due to their rarity but I'd agree they are a good pointer for Corrado values in the future... ie not going anywhere fast.

The value will probably increase when the Corrado becomes "retro" as opposed to classic. Retro attracts serious "scene tax" ;)

Early TT`s were recalled because they were flipping at very high speed so the story goes, apparently The early cars handled really well with there early lower wishbones and smaller bushes, The recall included new designed wishbones to dial in some understeer and esp and a rear spoiler for some extra downforce at speed, some early cars never made it back to the dealers, maybe because owners couldnt be bothered i dont know, but apparently the original wishbones were held back by audi on the recalled cars and then crushed. sometimes the do come up for sale on ebay but rarely, and are valuable, handling issues can easily be sorted outs with defcon bushes and R32 arb`s as kev says, and then makes for a competent chassis. early TT`s seem to be holding there value and in my opinion are fun when sorted and very quick with the right remap!!!

i believe unity in price will increase the value!

but if we have all decided we would like a better return on our investments then publicity is what we need !

how about challenging top gear to a corrado challenge something to get there attention or a vw challenge they liked the alfa one and we all know hammond owns a transporter!

if not just keep stum :thumbleft: