daveclark79

Back in a VW at last!

hey everyone, my first post on here. finally back in a VW after nearly 10 years. Have purchased a very nice VR6 and enjoying it more than anything I've ever driven! Fantastic and awesome are 2 words to describe them. I am having a problem with the car though so I will put a small piece in here and post it in technical too, if anyone would be as good to help me out.

I have located a whirring noise coming from the 42 pin connector just to the right of the engine, not sure if it is making the noise after the car has started up but it is there when i turn the ignition on. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? my first suspicion was the fan but it is not, then I thought it was the ABS pump, but after a good look and listen with the stethoscope, the noise seems to be coming from the 42 pin plug on the harness. Could it be something to do with the coil pack? an electric fault? help!!!

Welcome! Good to hear that you're enjoying VR ownership. Any pics of it? (Can't help with that problem though, sorry.)

The noise sounds like the aux coolant pump to the side of the head above the gearbox

Just to put your mind at rest, it's normal for the aux water pump to be making that noise with the ignition on!

many thanks for the replies guys, i have put a pic of my car up now, is it really supposed to be making such a loud noise? can hear it inside the car with doors windows and bonnet closed!