delfinis38

Manual gearbox oil spec.

Does anyone know the correct spec for gearbox oil on a manual box on a vr. Nothing in the owners manual.

I know lots use the redline mt90 which is fully synth 75w90, castrol website suggest the same spec castrol syntrans 75w90. However opie oils suggest 80w.

Anyone used the Castro syntrans stuff. Not sure what to use...

Used the castrol several times and it's good. Can get it in halfords too.

Yup spotted that on the halfords web page. Was very temped as I can do it tomorrow.

I need to fill my gearbox back up, is the Castrol Syntrans 75W-90 from Halfords the right stuff please? Also, how much do I need?

I need to fill my gearbox back up, is the Castrol Syntrans 75W-90 from Halfords the right stuff please? Also, how much do I need?

chris if you want the correct spec the Castrol syntrans is what you need... but not the multivehicle stuff Halfords sell. I made the mistake buying it.

you need the syntrans transaxle... I bought mine from opie oils ebay... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Syntrans-Transaxle-75W-90-Synthetic-Transmission-Fluid-75W90-1-Litre-1L-/181234163972?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2a3265e104. you need 2 pots takes about 1.5 litres.

if you want to double check like I did Castrol website is your friend... type your reg in.

the transaxle stuff is the correct vw 505 or whatever the spec is for the car...... red line is also okay.... again you need 2 pots

Just got a price from TPS for the gear oil, its £5.76 per litre. Cheaper then the castrol stuff.

Just got a price from TPS for the gear oil, its £5.76 per litre. Cheaper then the castrol stuff.

yes, but that isn't the synthetic oil, VW's own synthetic gear oil is a lot more and rarely stocked, usually have to wait a while for special order

Am I best to avoid this gear oil then?

Just ask what the spec is... TPS are usually competitive on Oil and they now sell Castrol also...

chris if you want the correct spec the Castrol syntrans is what you need... but not the multivehicle stuff Halfords sell. I made the mistake buying it.

you need the syntrans transaxle... I bought mine from opie oils ebay... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Syntrans-Transaxle-75W-90-Synthetic-Transmission-Fluid-75W90-1-Litre-1L-/181234163972?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item2a3265e104. you need 2 pots takes about 1.5 litres.

if you want to double check like I did Castrol website is your friend... type your reg in.

the transaxle stuff is the correct vw 505 or whatever the spec is for the car...... red line is also okay.... again you need 2 pots

Hmmmmm... When I emailed Opie and asked their advice on gear oil they recommended (and I bought) the 75-90 Multi Vehicle