neuon2003

8V: Recirculating valve on ADY engine?

Does anyone know if the 8v ADY engine has any sort of recirculating valve to assist with engine warm-up? On first starting from cold I am hearing a "ticking" which lasts for about a minute then stops. It is not a bottom end bearing/mechanical type noise; it is definitely from the top end. The noise only about lasts a minute, every time. Rapid ticking and then cuts off. Just wondering if this a recirculating valve at work? Or maybe its just a lazy valve bucket which is ticking until it refills with oil?

Just curious as to the possible source of the ticking as this is not a sound I think I need to worry about either way.

Cheers,

Andrew

Many thanks. Might try an ATF fluid flush at the next oil change to see if that helps. Mind you, the rocker is coming off this next week anyway to get vapour blasted.

Anyone ever done this and cured top end ticking noises?

I,ve heard a lot of conflicting advice about flushing old engines with some saying its good maintenance and some saying it knackers seals and you get smoke and oil burning after...Anyone got any experience?

Only a couple of bits of anecdotal evidence from me:

I had a mate with a mk2 scirocco (1.8 8V carb) which he was doing 30K a year in (car was 20 years old 120 odd K on the clock when he got it) He flushed it a few times in quick succession, (using a light machine oil) till the oil came out clean. He then went on to service every 10K as normal - no problems occurred and the oil was pretty much clean each time he changed it!

A neighbour had a Mondeo - L reg petrol... He used Forte flush each service and had it for years. It was a VERY healthy engine - no smoke, no trouble, sounded as good as day 1 when he scrapped it due to rot!

I've only ever flushed 1 engine - 1st service on my 1st car, a 1L mk3 polo. Again, no problems despite a HARD life for a few years (loading up with HEAVY band gear etc)

Since then, I've been changing the oil and filter twice a year regardless of (low) mileage (except the mk1 that's off the road for winter each year)... All the 8vs we've got/had have 2-3 seconds of tappet noise which quietens as soon as the oil gets round.

general advice I've been given by mechanics is not to use flushing agents on old engines, there's always the possibility of blocking the oil pump pickup with dislodged crud or worsenening leaks from seals and gaskets, if it's that bad that frequent oil changes don't help then buy some new tappets, it's not very practical stripping and cleaning them.

I was also once told that you can tell the dodgy tappets from the OK ones by pulling out, sticking on the bench and seeing the ones that collapse.