eugopnosaj

Audi A5 vs Scirocco

Which car  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which car

• Audi A5
    • Scirocco
    • Neither!

Ok, so this thought has been crossing my mind a few times over the past month or so, getting fed up with the valver (especially as its not selling) and the VR is currently sat in pieces while I wait for some parts (hence why I'm using the Valver). Coupled with the fact my '69 beetle project is still in pieces (only just finished welding the floors up) I have been thinking about getting a new car, possibly using the valver as a p/x.

I want to stay VAG and have been toying with the idea of an A5 or Scirocco (haven't decided which flavour yet) but I'm interested in what peoples views are on the two, and which ones people would choose/pros and cons.

Obviously I haven't made my mind up yet even if I'll buy a new car and this might just be mindless dreaming but every week it seems I have a new problem with either one of my 'rados. Just this week gone the alternator belt went on the Valver and I find myself more and more just saying 'FFS! all the time...'

So, opinions please!

Wish I was in this predicament! Thats a hard one tbh. I think the Rocco looks better lower spec, but the 3 door A5 S-Line looks fantastic. It depends what your circumstances are as well I think. The A5 is slightly bigger and it comes in more door form too so at least you'll have a good bit of room if you regularly have people in the back. Think the A5 will probably depreciate less too tbh.

I think the a5 coupe is one of those shapes that will still look great in years to come... Timeless. The scirocco has already dated and the back looks especially bad- alien like and ttries to hard. I must say thOugh that I am biased as I am looking at a 2008 A5 3.2 white with tan leather and 40 k on the clock, Keep my C then for weekends.......last coupe that I think looked as good as the a5 was the Pininfarina 405. Corrado has to be up there with the best of the coupes though... Thick set with a set of bandy legs out back!!

I just can't get excited about non-RS model Audi's.. I find them beyond dull. For that reason I would be the stick in the mud and go Scirocco :)

I just can't get excited about non-RS model Audi's.. I find them beyond dull. For that reason I would be the stick in the mud and go Scirocco :)

standard spec audi maybe not exciting but s-line spec is good and they look nice.... however my 2 year old a4 s-line ride quality is a bit harsh and tyres are 200 notes a corner.

Quite surprised looking at dimensions of these two, straight off you'd think the A5 would be much bigger than the Rocco as it just looks bigger in all respects, in actual fact the A5 is only 369mm longer and very surprisingly its 60mm narrower at the back end, mind you, the Scirocco does have a fat ar$e.

I'd have the A5 in Quattro version, some really well specced cars out there and they are not as pricey as the more family friendly A4's

Thought about the passat cc? Perhaps doesn't carry the audi prestige but its very similar to the A5

None of the above because I'm sick of the sight of them clogging up Essex roads. It's always base spec white A5 TDIs with the 19" gunmetal wheel option ticked. Meh & double yawn.

As Jim said, the S5 I would definitely consider.

I'd get a Golf MK6 R personally.

None of the above because I'm sick of the sight of them clogging up Essex roads. It's always base spec white A5 TDIs with the 19" gunmetal wheel option ticked. Meh & double yawn.

As Jim said, the S5 I would definitely consider.

I'd get a Golf MK6 R personally.

That's precisely the point I was trying to make :) Audi especially have really gotten up my back in recent years with a bajillion different models and endless different trim variations and options to fill every single conceivable niche. It's indescribably dull and uninteresting. Like you say Kev, something like the MK6 Golf R would be far more fun and a far less obvious choice :)

My Uncle has a Passat CC, and I had a drive back in it from an experience day a few months back. Very very nice actually, I was pleasantly surprised. Golf R, Scirocco R...... same thing different body.

My Uncle has a Passat CC, and I had a drive back in it from an experience day a few months back. Very very nice actually, I was pleasantly surprised. Golf R, Scirocco R...... same thing different body.

Not entirely.. Golf R is 4WD.. Scirocco R isn't.. :(

Ur-Scirocco for me all the way :lol:

Hate that new fangled thing that undeservedly wears the badge of such an iconic 70s car. Choice between the 2? None. Both go under in the current ocean of mediocrity on the roads. Not sure what to buy, because I don´t buy new cars :)

Tempest

Get the 2.0tsi Scirocco particularly in a decent colour ....not white.

A decent remap takes you up to Scirocco R power levels.

Save the cash and get a set of BBS wheels on it and I becomes a street sleeper.

A5 is just a boring bus!

standard spec audi maybe not exciting but s-line spec is good and they look nice.... however my 2 year old a4 s-line ride quality is a bit harsh and tyres are 200 notes a corner.

My S-line 3.0 TDi A4 might be a bit on the barge side of the scales but it's definitely not dull with 430lb ish of torque to play with :)

Hehe.. I'm sure that's enough to catch a few people out. Presumably remapped if it's putting out that much torque?

Buy neither.

I've just gone from a new to old car transition and not missing the creature comforts of a modern car. The Corrado feels soo much better in comparison to driving a newer car(audi a4 quattro tdi sport avant). Can't deny that the new Scirrocco and A5 models have more to offer(technology) than the 'standard' trim of a Corrado. But there's only more to go wrong! Seems to me that you already have a good value 'drivers' coupe in the 16V that has the potential to become a collectors car(good spec).

But if you do decide to change the raddo the Golf R or even better the Golf Pirelli edition would get my vote.

Hehe.. I'm sure that's enough to catch a few people out. Presumably remapped if it's putting out that much torque?

It has a generic Bluefin remap so should be about 290 BHP and 430LB Torque according to their blurb. Certainly gives you a dose of neck snap when you toe it in 1st and 2nd gear - permanent Quattro helps of course.

Golf gti, golf R, scirocco R they all try to hard to look the part, more Essex boy racer to me than the A5. If you have a corrado that's set up for driving hard, perhaps better to go for more GT inspired a5 to balance things out. To me it has the clean brooding muscular lines and DNA of the corrado that not many cars possess these days...... S5 would be the answer but you would need a sponsor for tyres and fuel......

Golf gti, golf R, scirocco R they all try to hard to look the part, more Essex boy racer to me than the A5. If you have a corrado that's set up for driving hard, perhaps better to go for more GT inspired a5 to balance things out. To me it has the clean brooding muscular lines and DNA of the corrado that not many cars possess these days...... S5 would be the answer but you would need a sponsor for tyres and fuel......

See I think they are very subtle which I like. Look at a Focus RS, now that is a sheep in wolves clothing. Trying too hard, and at the end of the day, its still a Ford Focus. Big lairy body kits and stupid bright paint colours do nothing for me.

See I think they are very subtle which I like. Look at a Focus RS, now that is a sheep in wolves clothing. Trying too hard, and at the end of the day, its still a Ford Focus. Big lairy body kits and stupid bright paint colours do nothing for me.

I certainly like the new Focus ST. Liked the previous generation one too with the 5 cylinder motor too but fuel economy was supposed to be woeful on those :(

Something about A5 that I cant quite put my finger on that I dont like. Im on my 2nd Scirocco, I really rate them and they offer great value for what you get. Mine has the winter pac, Nav, leather, panroof and 19's and it is a very nice car to drive everyday. The Tsi engine seems better than the Golf's engine. I might have to sell mine soon if your interested.

Problem is there are a lot of them going about much like the A5.

Depends on your budget.

Im getting very tempted by a new 3 series M-sport touring.