Roger Chatfield

Rog's Rado... The smile is back :)

Could the debris have come from the oil cooler?

Is it steel (try to pick it up with a magnet) / cast iron, alloy or white metal (big ends / mains) -

The old tensioner remnants just hang around in the sump unfortunately. Bottom tensioner is plastic and never fails as it doesn't have anything like the same load on it as the upper one.

Sorry guys, I got that wrong, I thought the debris was ferrous as it was sticking to my screwdriver but it was just the coating of oil that was allowing it to stick, I rechecked it and in fact it's non ferrous, it's the same material as the big end shell lining..

IMG_4429_zpse5bfcffe.jpg

IMG_4431_zps490067ad.jpg

At least I have finally found out what was wrong, new shells and we should be good to go.

Rog.

Hopefully the bearing didn't wear down to the steel but the shredded shards have come from metal on metal contact, i.e. no oil. Does the crank journal look blue? Hopefully you caught it just in time. A plastigauge will confirm if the bearing tolerances are still within spec.

They can all be done in situ but you'll have to rotate the crank a few times to get at them all, so I would remove the plugs to make life a bit easier.

Good luck!

A problem will arise if the main bearings are damaged or if the crankshaft itself has been scored; then you'll have to get the crankshaft out.

I am being pessimistic I know, but how are you going to be sure that you have cleared all the swarf out of the lubrication system without jetting all the galleries and drillings?

I'll bet that you oil filter bowl is a glittery sight!!

RB

So far I've only done no 6, the crank looks totally undamaged so I'm hoping for the best, this wasn't the classic knock knock sound you usually get with big ends more of a rattle hence why I didn't go for the big ends straight away, hopefully I've caught it nice and early but I guess only time will tell.

All the metal I've removed from the sump, oil strainer and filter bowl has been non ferrous so I guess I've not started to grind any steel yet.

I assume the debris has all come from the big ends so would have just fallen in the sump, then picked up by the pump and stopped from going ant further by the filter, I can see no other debris anywhere else on the engine and the external oil cooler was clear, in fact the valve gear actually looks really clean, not what you would expect on a 138,000 mile engine so I think I'll be alright. (fingers crossed)

Just ordered the shells from VW, £86.52 with a bit of CCGB discount... quite pleased with that price.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

I think your noise was subtle because only 1 or 2 bearings are dead. If all 6 bearings were shot you'd definitely hear it :D

If all looks OK, I would just throw it back together and cross your fingers!

As Roger says, if the motor has to come out, that would be a good time to check the mains and all the oil galleries etc.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm surprised how cheap the bearings were!

Just waiting for the shells to arrive so thought I'd have a little poke round.

This is the no6 big end (crank), looks ok to me, there is some light scratching but not deep, I can't feel it with my finger nail.

IMG_4441_zpsbf49dfcf.jpg

IMG_4443_zps8fbdd3c9.jpg

And this is the cap from no6 main bearing, a little bit of wear but not bad for a 139,000 mile engine, I'm happy with it, who do you guys think?

IMG_4439_zpsbe46c8cb.jpg

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Just checked the Bentley manual for the torque settings... it says only use new big end bolts... another 50 sheets, local stealer loves me today.

Rog.

If you come to mine right now and fit the head unit , I'm going to tell your mrs ! Lol . You know how much she loves you spending on the C .

Just checked the Bentley manual for the torque settings... it says only use new big end bolts... another 50 sheets, local stealer loves me today.

5 brown sheets isn't so bad. Cheaper than ARPs after all then.

It's really not a good idea reusing stretch bolts. You can get away with it on some suspension bolts, but with a crank spinning round at 7000rpm, not worth the risk for the sake of 50 quid imo!

Update...

Well after a few drama's I managed to change the big end shells and the hydraulic lifters (tappets).

Fill it full of oil and took it for a drive.

Chuffed to bits with it, no more rattle and oil pressure is good, I also changed the oil temp sender and the 'seen' oil temp is now lower, max I've seen at idle is 112, far better than the 124 I has before.

Only bad thing is my ticking noise when cold, I thought the lifters would cure that but it's still the same, I guess I might have a bit of piston slap.

Rog.

As far as I know the timing is bang on, I made myself a cam locking tool and the bottom end was at TDC.

Rob, the ticking disappears after about 10 mins, once warm it purrs like a pussy cat.

Rog.

I think it's just the oil reaching the cam mate , hydraulic tappets . Mines only done 50 k , but sometimes sounds tappety when you start it , the same as yours , but then is very quiet . Other times I can start it and it's quiet from start up .

Rob