Roger Chatfield

Non starting VR6

Morning chaps, the storm let me down this morning, it simply will not start.

Turns over on the starter but won't catch and is not even attempting to start.

I'm thinking electrical, any one else have any ideas??

Rog.

Morning chaps, the storm let me down this morning, it simply will not start.

Turns over on the starter but won't catch and is not even attempting to start.

I'm thinking electrical, any one else have any ideas??

Rog.

sorry no.... but I think you must be jinxed :) best of luck with fixing it.

Have you tried bump starting it? if it starts then likely to be your starter motor but if not it will be a case of figuring out if it is a fuel or spark issue....or hopefully not something more serious

IIRC there has been a recent thread on here about testing if its fuel or spark issue

It's a strange one. I had some starting probs in the summer, which were solved with a new ignition switch. Also changed the crank sensor, FPR, ecu & fuel pump relays, blue temp switch during my ownership. Might be worth checking the spark and taking the coil pack off and giving it a good examination. Could also be fuel pump I guess.

I had a similar problem ages ago, was starting then immediately cutting out. Turned out to be the fuel pump fuse had gone, it's no.8 in the fuse box, worth checking. I always carry a few spare fuses now.

Cheers guys, I'm at work atm so I few things to check when I get home, a few questions.

Where is the fuse box?

Where is the OBD socket?

And should the fuel pump run all the time? ie, does it run if the ignition is on or only if the engine is running??

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

I'm going to gamble on fuel pump relay or a fuse myself. The fuel pump doesn't run until the engine is started, however you should hear it prime the system upon turning the ignition on.

Worth using the search to answer your other questions too (e.g. fuse box location) - a lot of this stuff has been answered a gajillion times as it's often the same questions coming up :)

Appreciate what you saying Jim, noobs can be a pain asking the same noob questions again and again however is a tad difficult to search on a phone.

Also, maybe it's just me but the search function is pretty dire, if you was to put 'fuse box location' into the search engine you would get thousands of hits.

We were all new once....

Rog.

You're right - the search function is, frankly, pants. My top tip that I'm telling folks on here these days, is that you can do your searching with Google... if you go to Google and in the search box type:

site:the-corrado.net

So for example:

site:the-corrado.net vr6 not starting

You should find far more relevant results returned to you than if you use the built in version :)

Appreciate what you saying Jim, noobs can be a pain asking the same noob questions again and again however is a tad difficult to search on a phone.

Also, maybe it's just me but the search function is pretty dire, if you was to put 'fuse box location' into the search engine you would get thousands of hits.

We were all new once....

Rog.

Indeed we were Rog. Fortunately there are lots of helpful people on here :)

I would highly recommend one of the bentley workshop manuals, they are great for everything except the engine (as that is for the US spec AAA lump)& are a brilliant guide when trying to get things apart

good luck

OK - I'll help you this time ;)

Drivers footwell - the little shelves under the dashboard. To the right, near the bonnet release you should see that the rightmost tray is held in with two twist / push clips... simply remove those and then you should be able to pull that out revealing the fusebox!

Right, now this is where it starts to get weird, just got home and guess what, it starts ....

However if I try a few starts it'll start maybe 1 in 5.

Once running all is good, I've not driven it but can rev it fine.

Any ideas ?

Rog.

Sounds like ignition switch, but that's been done? Check the connections are good at the back, which they almost certainly will be. I guess even new ones of these can fail?

Crank sensor. People shy away from suggesting that on here because they're expensive, but they have a finite life span like everything else and it takes out both the fuel and the spark.

But for the benefit of the doubt:-

To confirm ignition switch: Wiggle the key about whilst cranking.

To confirm fuel pump: Bridge the fuel pump relay on the fuse board (numbered 167) to run the pump permanently. Stick your ear down by the offside rear wheel, or in the boot under the carpet, you will hear it. No noise = no pump.

To confirm fuel pump relay: As above, but it starts when bridged.

To confirm coilpack: I've never seen one so bad it stops the engine starting. As mentioned alreadym It's dead anyway in the absence of a crank signal, as is the fuel pump relay.

There are other things you can check, but in my experience, a total non-start and then random successful starts is 9 times in 10 a dying crank sensor.

Thanks for the above guys, I appreciate any help.

Just had a little fiddle, how long does the fuel take to prime, I can't hear it running at all when I turn the ignition on but can hear it when the engine is running.. I've disconnected the fuel pipe at the fuel rail (I assume the top one is supply) and when I turn the ign on only a small drop of fuel comes out (like a teaspoon). could this be my problem??? how is the fuel prime controlled??

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Just tested the fuel pump supply, I don't any prime supply, Bentley says it should run for 1 sec.

Once the engine is running the pump supply is fine, just need to work out why its not priming now.

Rog.

Welcome to my world ! Mine was the same , now will not run at all , working my way through at massive list trying to find the problem .

Crank sensor. People shy away from suggesting that on here because they're expensive, but they have a finite life span like everything else and it takes out both the fuel and the spark.

But for the benefit of the doubt:-

To confirm ignition switch: Wiggle the key about whilst cranking.

To confirm fuel pump: Bridge the fuel pump relay on the fuse board (numbered 167) to run the pump permanently. Stick your ear down by the offside rear wheel, or in the boot under the carpet, you will hear it. No noise = no pump.

To confirm fuel pump relay: As above, but it starts when bridged.

To confirm coilpack: I've never seen one so bad it stops the engine starting. As mentioned alreadym It's dead anyway in the absence of a crank signal, as is the fuel pump relay.

There are other things you can check, but in my experience, a total non-start and then random successful starts is 9 times in 10 a dying crank sensor.

Kev does know his stuff :salute:

Well, the old Storm is now behaving itself, just took it for a blat and all is good, we'll see if it makes it to work tomorrow.. Fingers crossed...lol

Welcome to my world ! Mine was the same , now will not run at all , working my way through at massive list trying to find the problem .

Give me a shout if you want a hand mate, I've got a Bentley manual and am pretty good at keeping the smoke in the wires....lol... Also I can come up in the Storm and swap bits over to rule stuff out.

Rog.

Hi, I had an issue couple of weeks ago. Car cutout, wouldn't start until left for period of time. Turned out to be coilpack

Well, the old Storm is now behaving itself, just took it for a blat and all is good, we'll see if it makes it to work tomorrow.. Fingers crossed...lol

Give me a shout if you want a hand mate, I've got a Bentley manual and am pretty good at keeping the smoke in the wires....lol... Also I can come up in the Storm and swap bits over to rule stuff out.

Rog.

Thanks Rog very kind of you , will give you a shout , it will be a weekend , when I'm next on it

Rob