corradlo

Another fuel tank question!!

Gents,

I know this has been asked a few times and i have looked at some posts in relation to this, but im not clear on the answer.

Basically im building a throttle bodied abf, and im on a mission to clean and rebuild the fuel system, so i would like to use just the in tank pump from a vr. This is so it is a simpler system, and i can easily access it from within the car if need be.

will a vr6 tank actually fit my early 16v body. I would like to get a complete setup from a vr, so just need to know if the tank will physically fit.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by corradlo
mis spelling

what you need to check is the fuel pump mounting inside the tanks (or the base of the pump/lift pump), to see if the early small tank 16v/G60 will accept the VR6/2.0 8v pump, I suspect they will as the late 2.0 16v with the bigger tank used the early style 16v lift pump and external pump. There's a plethora of tanks though, something like 8-10 different ones across the models and years.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, so just to clarify, a vr6 tank will not fit the early body.

I was under the assumption that the single pump tanks had a larger opening for the pump itself.

Anyone know if it's possible to use any mk3 bits to convert my car to a single pump?

I have a mk3 VR6 pump in my 2L 8v, only difference is the shape of the float arm which I had to bend a little to get the right reading on the 70L corrado tank, possibly because the golfs all use a 55 litre tank.

looking at the chassis numbers the tank screw cap seems to change part number with the fuel tank change from 55 to 70L, so as well as the bottom fixing in the tank you may need the to make sure a late pump top part fits the tank opening, that might stump you fixing a late pump into an early tank. I've got both 55 and 70L cars so I'll check under the carpet if I remember! also have the old 2L pump so I'll try to take a pic of the bottom fixing.

Will a 2.0 8v tank and pump fit? i will fit whichever tank mates up to one of the single pumps. The car is a bare shell at the moment, with only my existing tank on there, so access to change is easy, hoping i can come up with a solution before i start to re assemble the rest of the car!

I assumed the 8v was a 70L tank (which wouldn't fit an early 55L tank car) as it's a later car with the raised boot floor, but the other day with it close to empty I only got 50L in it ??? ETKA does only specify the one tank though (70L) for the VR6 and 2.0 8v, so it must be a 70.

Actually, checking the part numbers, the KR (1.8 16v) and G60 share the same 55L tank (PN: 535201075H) but they also share the small in tank lift pump, what you probably need is a mid production G60 tank (PN: 535201075M) which is 55L but uses the full size single in tank pierburg 4 bar pump (chassis no, 50-L-005 733 >> 50-M-035 000)

Edited by davidwort

So there were some g60's which had a 55ltr tank with a single pump?! that would be perfect, i will call my local vw dealer to check and see.

failing that i guess i will have to source one second hand!

some great info there david.

I suspect I have the tank you're after, but I'm a long way from London and couriers wont carry a used fuel tank and I wouldn't want to courier it anyway TBH

I replied to your PM, the tank is still in the car, Hennys old G60 shell.

Edited by Dox

I checked with a dealer today and it looks like to tank is not available anymore :(, does anybody have one that is off a car already, with or with out the pump? or could somebody post any pics of what the large fuel pump looks like inside the boot floor, to help with my search!!

Thanks gents

Tank pics

IMAG0473_zps032836ad.jpg

Base of the pump

IMAG0474_zpse43360a0.jpg

Bayonet at the base of the tank (with and without flash)

IMAG0475_zps41ed3de7.jpg

IMAG0476_zpse8b7cd34.jpg