Jim

Long overdue changes to Road Tax ahead..

Just reading this morning that some changes to road tax are finally afoot. Obviously will enable them to increase the prices more once this happens as it'll seem like less of an expense overall, but I still think it's for the better.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/paper-tax-discs-for-vehicles-to-be-scrapped-the-chancellor-will-announce-in-autumn-statement-8983765.html

The biggest change is the switch to allowing you to pay for the road tax monthly, with direct debit.

And there was me hoping that the government would finally re-introduce the rolling road tax exemption for cars older than 30 years, oh well ...

Tempest

"This is a visual symbol of how we are moving government into the modern age " :lol:

A bunch of Eaton boys, hooray henrys & Freemasons running the country. Modern? Pfffft.

Lets face it, the money saved won't actually be used for anything to improve the roads, it's just another way for the 'Eaton Boys', as Kev rightly puts it, to pay for the massive increase in their pensions that they've just given themselves.... even though the rest of us are screwed long term. Criminals the lot of them!

The only good thing I think that'll come from this is that I no longer have an ugly tax disc holder in the window.

The government is going to ruin the livelihoods of makers of novelty tax disc holders!

I always thought the pre 2001 rule they have at the moment is a bit odd and i have been waiting for them to come up with some way of charging £400 to tax a corrado vr6 and i reckon this will be it.

I always thought the pre 2001 rule they have at the moment is a bit odd and i have been waiting for them to come up with some way of charging £400 to tax a corrado vr6 and i reckon this will be it.

I hope not as I think that'll be the death of these types of older semi-classic cars unfortunately

Shouldnt of bothered reading that , and then i definately shouldnt have gone on to read about the rise in pension age and all that other bull **** , im in a mood now

Once they've got people onto the monthly DD scheme, they'll just start pushing the tax up. Extra fiver a month here, extra tenner a month there. People won't notice on DD, but the Eaton f'ckwits will rake in millions of extra revenue.

This country feels more and more f'cked by the week. The roads where I live are falling to bits, the cost of living is ever increasing, house prices are shooting up yet again (recession? what recession?) and yet, this 'hard up' country has contributed a billion quid to the World Disease Foundation. Nice of Cleggaron to ask the nation if that's where we want our hard earned to go, wasn't it? A billion quid could fix quite a few roads.

When people actually feel better about life and not just told we are by bloody think tanks, then we can start dishing out our taxes to charities.

But anyway, yeah, I get a 4" patch of my windscreen back, whoop! :D

Nail on head Mr Bacon. A couple of percent here, a few quid there we'll never notice. I don't know where this will all end - the cost of every single thing in your life is going one way - UP! Except of course your wages. Surely there's going to be a point where it all goes bang?

Still as long as the media is full of stories about how everyone who's unemployed is a dole scrounger living the life of Riley at everyone else's expense, most people in this country will be kept angry enough at each other to not see who's really screwing them over.

On a side note, when I was a kid I said to my mate I was nipping down the post office to tax my car and he goes "Don't get it taxed there - she's got crap handwriting" :lol:

Lets face it, the money saved won't actually be used for anything to improve the roads, it's just another way for the 'Eaton Boys', as Kev rightly puts it, to pay for the massive increase in their pensions that they've just given themselves.... even though the rest of us are screwed long term. Criminals the lot of them!

The only good thing I think that'll come from this is that I no longer have an ugly tax disc holder in the window.

with you 100%

Still as long as the media is full of stories about how everyone who's unemployed is a dole scrounger living the life of Riley at everyone else's expense, most people in this country will be kept angry enough at each other to not see who's really screwing them over.

Glad there are others who see that. Large corporations are the ones really raping us, taking millions out of our country and not paying a penny back into the system because there high end accountants are dodging the tax. Thats whats really screwing us up.

And now the government have the say on what can and cant be published in every news paper in the country. The internet is the only hope we have of ever making a difference.

Or Independence ;-) Come and join us in a huge breakaway from Londonia. They no longer represent the vast majority of people in this country. I dont want to start a debate on Scottish independance, but surely the current level of inequality in this country (Uk) cannot continue. In my opinion it has accelerated the political divide between the people of this island.

###### Stands off soapbox #######

Edited by corrado wannabe
cannot spell independence!!!!!

We think it's bad here - the inequality in the states seems to be even worse. I read things week after week that continue to blow my mind..

Like some of the largest fast food companies pay such low wages, the employees have to get state benefit and other low wage programmes just to enable them to live. Whilst those companies continue to post gigantic profits, and the CEO walks home with a $100 million dollar salary. So essentially the government (and therefore the tax payers) pay for the shortfall in salaries that the companies are not paying, so they can make gigantic profits. And of course the CEO's all take advantage of loopholes in the way they pay themselves so that they barely pay any tax.

It's insane. Social revolution has to come sooner or later.

Another vote for the opinion of Mr Bacon! The local freebie rag (The Metro) indicated that the costs to actually pay your road tax (and yes, it is a tax despite it being

disguised as vehicle emissions 'duty') would be coming down. When has any bloody government given anyone anything?

A thought occurs. How do s/hand car buyers tell how much tax a car has left if there's no disc? I reckon this will be a move to taxing the person, not the car. A tax to drive system, but how they tie that into emissions etc, fook knows.

Nail on head Mr Bacon. A couple of percent here, a few quid there we'll never notice. I don't know where this will all end - the cost of every single thing in your life is going one way - UP! Except of course your wages. Surely there's going to be a point where it all goes bang?

Oddly enough, myself and Mr Mic VR have discussed that a few times over the years :) It feels like the government and conglomerates won't be satisfied until the hard working people of this nation are forced into sheltered accomodation and soup kitchens because they've bled us dry.

But we also surmised that some people bring it onto themselves. For example, what better way to send a message to big business that we won't be fleeced, by camping outside Game to buy a PS4, or going onto Ebay and paying double if they didn't pre-order! I mean, FFS. What is wrong with people? A recession, a PROPER recession means battening down the hatches and just 'surviving'. This is no recession. If people can find £600 for a £349 console, £500 for an Apple handset, £50 p/month for Sky subs, 6+35 @ £250 for an Essex White A3 TDI with gunmetal wheels, they have no right to complain about the state of affairs.

The message Cleggaron and their chums are getting from all this is that the country is very much financially buoyant. If they are seeing people knocking each other's teeth out for a console, filling up the tanks of their brand new Audis, buying houses, getting the latest trinketty phones every 6 months, their cash cows can milked even more. Sure, those purchases are part of normal life, but people don't NEED a new Audi every year, they don't NEED a new phone every 6 months and they certainly don't NEED a console on the launch date. Just wait, be patient, wait for the post xmas bundle deals and don't line the pockets of the ebay prospecters . But it seems people are more impatient for instant gratification than ever before. Human beings don't seem to learn from their mistakes. If people are prepared to repay 1000% apr for a pay day loan, then my god we will be f'cked when 500% mortgages become available again, which they will. Round and round the stupidity wheel goes.

Spot on! Press sensationalism is also responsible for the bad feeling in this country. The more astute among us know what's happening and do the necessary, but you just can't escape the bombardment of press horseschitt. It would be nice to watch the news without being told about immigrants taking over the country, storms flooding the entire east coast, Nigella Lawson snorting coke and house prices being the highest since records began.

All of it a tissue of lies. The world would be dull and unproductive place without immigrants. The east coast will NOT be flooded beyond all recognition, who gives a schitt about Nigella Lawson's habits and house prices are just back to where they were before the recession.

Government, Journalism, Banks, insurance companies, ambulance chasers & energy companies, They all need to be killed to death in that order. Then murdered to death. Then stabbed to death and finally, put in the stocks for a public stoning to death.

I think that'll do for now. I'll continue the other 99.7% of my rant later :lol:

Edited by Kevin Bacon

jeeez, doesn't take much to stir you lot up :lol:

how many of you vote anyway? :bomb:

Baaaah, there's always one optimist to poo poo our rants :lol:

I'm just off to murder someone to death for their PS4. And then I would like to offer them £1000 for it.

So essentially the government (and therefore the tax payers) pay for the shortfall in salaries that the companies are not paying

Merc got exposed for doing the same in Germany. Cheap labourers from former Eastern bloc countries squashed into tinyu houses (share-basis of course) working for pittance salaries, plus German workers being paid too little and needing to be topped up by German state, all for your next "affordable" Merc!

Every German should be entitled to a free Merc after all that indirect state benefit they've been receiving. Shame on you, Zetsche!

Tempest

anybody want to buy some vintage tax discs.......ebay, reeeeeeal cheap!

off goes the car adverts with, lots of history included (customary shot of 15 tax discs spread out!)